“Big City feel with small town flair”
Review of Open Range

Open Range
Ranked #34 of 245 Restaurants in Bozeman
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Montana experience in handcrafted food and drink. Open from 4 PM-5 PM for cocktail hours. 5 PM-10 PM for dinner service. Bar is open until 2 AM.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I decided to give the open range a try since it has now been open several months.
Upon walking in and feeling a big city restaurant feel we were greeted with a friendly hello do you have a reservation? We did not, we were escorted to the last two open seats at the bar and promptly greeted by the bar tender Torrence. We watched him mix and then taste his libations before each one went out. In training we figured and were correct. He was good at his craft and friendly as well as knowledgeable about the specials and menu items.
I wanted to taste more then one item and ordered two appetizers One of Smoked Trout Rillettes described as a "cheesecake" style. I knew what that meant having the food background I do. Then I ordered the Quinoa & amaranth with goose meat salad. Very pleased with each one and the flavor filled ingredients. My husband had a house salad, nice size, he ordered the Flat Iron Chicken with fried kale. His chicken was so juicy and full of flavor we were both surprised! Crispy skin side and seasoned so well. Each of us had a glass of Filino Malbec wine and walked away feeling pleasantly filled, not stuffed. No dessert this time but they sounded delicious. We will surly be back many more times.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

In the “early days” several of us would drive to Ennis to eat at Jay Bentley’s Continental Divide restaurant so we were looking forward to going to the Open Range for the first time. Our group of eight arrived on a very cold night and were promptly greeted at the door by a very friendly host-person who showed us to our table. We were all quite impressed with our initial view of the restaurant including the warm tones and lights, the spacious room, the nice arrangement of dividers and glass that partitioned off the tables that actually had room around them so that we did not have to listen to the table conversation next to us. Our wait-person arrived and took our drink order and brought them promptly to the table. Our one grumble is that although we are certainly used to wine being about twice the retail cost, our $15.00 bottle of average wine cost $45.00. Our group ordered a variety of salads (kale and house) and entrees (different cuts of meat, halibut, and hamburger) and everyone was generally pleased with their meal, including the amount and presentation. The slight exceptions included the vegetables that were pretty tough (as they were not cooked quite enough) and the broth on the halibut that was a bit salty. Our server was attentive but not intrusive and answered all of our questions. We enjoyed our leisurely meal and conversations in a very pleasant atmosphere. Two members thought the restaurant was pretty noisy, but given my experiences at other places I thought the level was okay. This establishment is certainly a high-end place for Bozeman but I would certainly recommend it and go back on special occasions.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband took me to Open Range for my birthday dinner. The host was friendly and wished me a "Happy Birthday" right away. I was then surprised with a glass of champagne and a red rose to celebrate my birthday. Those personal touches set the tone for what was to be a fantastic dining experience! Our waitress was kind and patient while I tried to decide on the perfect glass of wine. She had some great suggestions as far as drinks and the appetizer we chose. My husband and I both ordered the tenderloin steak, which was cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth! I thought for how good the food was, the prices were fairly reasonable. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and not too loud. Open Range is hands down my favorite restaurant in Bozeman! If you have something special to celebrate, this is the place to go!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Open Range, owned and run by Jay Bently, formerly running the Mint in Belgrade, is a great new and classy restaurant in Bozeman. Been there several times and for a big restaurant in small town, this one is lovely. Interesting variety of foods, service is good, and the wine list is great for a small town. My last time was with friends and we had a great time. My bison flat iron steak was cooked to perfection and presented nicely with garlic potatoes and brocollini. Everyone else enjoyed their meals as well. Great place.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We've visited Open Range twice and been disappointed both times. We probably will not go back again. The portions are at times quite sparse and the food is way over priced for the quality. Although the staff tries they are under trained and lack the experience to create a rewarding evening for the patron. I've talked to four other people who live in Bozeman and agree with our observations about the Open Range. I would NOT recommend this establishment to others unless many positive changes are made in training their staff, lowering their prices and increasing the portion size of their meals.

2  Thank 10M10G10P

Been to Open Range? Share your experiences!