“Looking forward to another try”
Review of Open Range

Open Range
Ranked #31 of 244 Restaurants in Bozeman
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Montana experience in handcrafted food and drink. Open from 4 PM-5 PM for cocktail hours. 5 PM-10 PM for dinner service. Bar is open until 2 AM.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Went on the pre-opening weekend, with mixed results. My dish was good, rare and not medium rare. But my friend's steak was a total disaster. There are enough good reviews here that I will give it another try next week.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Our first visit was opening week - and have been there 10 times since - always as a group with local friends. During that time the consensus has gone from "not quite ready" to "really getting good". Getting ready to leave our beloved bozeman to attend to our hotel in costa rica, we hosted a farewell party at O.R. the other night. Everyone loved it - from the cocktails & extensive wine list to the food, atmosphere and graceful service. We go out alot in our favorite town - and O.R. has what we believe the most attentive, professional and down-right friendly staff in town.
Special thanks to Drew, Josh, Amy, Melissa, Virginia, Matt and Ron - we will miss you and already look forward to the best that is yet to come at Open Range.

2  Thank RanchoPacifico
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Although I read mixed reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp, I decided to give this restaurant a chance. I was in Bozeman for only 1 night staying in the Flats Above Main (also reviewed) and Open Range happens to be right across the street. Rather than making a reservation, I went in when the bar opened at 4. I was greeted warmly and told the bartender about the mixed reviews to which he replied, "Well, come on in and let's see if we can change your mind." I sat at the bar to review the menus he handed me along with the wine list. I told him that I don't drink wine and asked him to suggest a drink that would go well with my starter, the Potato and Salt Cod croquettes. He asked what I usually drink and then mixed a "Brown Derby" for me which was perfect! I sat and drank that wonderful drink while I perused the dessert menu - the dinner menu was still under construction since it changes nightly. Once I finished the Brown Derby, he mixed a different drink for me which I didn't like, so I wasn't charged. Out came another Brown Derby! When the dinner menu arrived, I asked him what was his favorite - so I ordered the top sirloin which came with smashed potatoes, braised rapini, and arugula chimichurri (which actually tasted more like a parsley pesto - but was fabulous!). I added a slab of foie gras to top it off. OMG! Everything was fabulous! I sat at the bar, relished my dinner, read a little bit, chatted with some friendly locals, drank Brown Derbys, and just had a great time all by myself! On to dessert! My bartender friend said he loved the panna cotta, but the pumpkin bread pudding looked too good to pass up - and am I glad I ordered it! Not too sweet, topped with a bit of spun sugar and drizzled with maple sauce, and it went perfectly with another Brown Derby!

Truly, this place is not to be missed. I have to recommend sitting at the bar to enjoy the local color and, because I sat at the bar, I cannot comment on the table service. But I spent a lovely 3 hours at Open Range and would definitely do it again the next time I'm in Bozeman.

4  Thank MRoan
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Last night we brought the family to Open Range. The atmosphere is definitely swanky but also welcoming of kids. It's a big enough space and the acoustics are such that your 2 year-old can be having a mini meltdown (over Mom taking a bite out of his delicious burger) and no one notices or really hears it. The kids menu is perfection, basically a kids size version of the adult menu. There are lots of green, veg, local and /or sustainable items on the menu to choose from. If you like having fresh and non processed food, Open Range is your place. And, the cocktails are tasty, too! There was not a drop of food left on any of our plates at the end of the meal. We will be dining out at Open Range often. Also, if you have out of town guests, this is a must on the Bozeman todo list!

2  Thank kkb759
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Every new restaurant gets swamped with people wanting to try it. Service has to work at getting the kinks out. That being said, we held out for several weeks to go. Made reservations a day in advance and still only got an 8pm seating. Got there on time, had to wait awhile to be seated. Others coming in after us got seated beforehand- even tho number in the party was comparable. Shown to our seat, didn't even get acknowledged for almost 10 minutes. Wow, not impressed yet. One of the best servers from The Mint was ours that night. We know she's quick so not sure why the delay. By this date staffing issues should be ironed out. Hubby excited for the skillet chicken. Looked under "browned"- sure enough, raw inside. Server took it back, probably microwaved. Plate wasn't even reset. For the amount of money charged seating, service and food should be excellent. Won't go back...

Been to Open Range? Share your experiences!