“Interesting”

American Computer Museum
Ranked #4 of 63 things to do in Bozeman
More attraction details
Owner description: For both Techies and Non-Techies alike: Since 1990 - the world's oldest continually operating nonprofit museum dedicated to the History of the Information Age, Robotics & Social Networking. Inch for inch, the best museum in the world. - Edward O. Wilson, Professor Emeritus - HarvardAn eye-opener for nine-year-olds to ninety-nine-year-olds, and you'll find your conversations going back to it again and again. - Montana MagazineAs seen in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, LA Times, Billings Gazette, Bozeman Daily Chronicle, ABC News, Vancouver Courier, New Yorker Magazine, USA Today, C-Span, ABC News, Distinctly Montana, and many other media outlets...
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband would probably rate this a 5. There is more than just computers. There is an old printing press, old telecommunication devices, old robot toys, there's the old telephone board that you'd have to connect the wires by the operator. Lots of fun stuff to learn, remember and enjoy. Free, but donations appreciated.

There are newer reviews for American Computer Museum

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Small but fascinating museum. Though situated in a office park and the building interior is noveau bland, the nice array of computing and robotic artifacts had our whole family engaged for a good 90-minutes or more. Can't beat the price (voluntary donation) and they have a well curated little gift shop with high-educational/fun factor and almost zero schlock/commercial junk. The greeter/docent was charming, knowledgable and friendly. She gave us a brief but thorough introduction then left us to explore without interruption. Exhibits ranged from the early history of communications, to the age of optimism (1950's) to present day. Some of the most fun was showing our kids the clunky old technology we used to use (Motorola flip phone, Apple Macintosh from 1984, Atari game consoles). Good little write-ups by most objects allowed independent exploration for our 11-year old. The 5-year old had a lot of fun and wasn't bored at all. But this is NOT a hands-on interactive experience for the most part. Definitely worth a visit for the science- or technology- minded and plenty to interest just about anyone.

2  Thank Fauxnomen
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I expected a museum dedicated only to computers and was worried that my young daughter would get bored. Was I wrong!

This is actually a museum dedicated to communication - beginning with ancient stone tablet cuneiform writing, the Gutenberg press, all the way to the current computers. It was incredibly interesting!

The many displays show the earliest days in computing and have many artifacts from those times - especially the early 1980's, when "personal" computing was popular. It was fun for my husband and I to revisit our younger years when we first discovered computers. Our young daughter thought it was interesting as well, and we hope she learned something about technology of the past.

This museum is free, though they have a donation box. The displays are well-maintained and there are some that you cannot see anywhere else. According to the receptionist, this is only 10% of the museum's holdings, and I could see where they'd need a larger building.

Allow yourself a couple of hours to read and explore each display. We also enjoyed the small gift shop on the way out. A great way to spend a few hours!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

As someone who's really big on computers, this was something I really had to see while I was in Bozeman. Despite the title on here, it's actually the American Computer "and Robotics" Museum. The robotics part felt a little out of place and kind of pointless. The robotics stuff they had on display was fairly neat, but still I kind of wondered why exactly it was here. There is some truly amazing hardware on display here, such as an Apple I circuit board signed by Woz, a Magnavox Odyssey signed by Ralph Baer, an actual Computer Space cabinet and many, many more ancient computers you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else these days.

Struck me as odd how there were two exhibits on Apple, one of which entirely devoted to Steve Jobs and yet it felt like Bill Gates or Microsoft hardly got a mention in the museum. Not trying to play favorites and I know it's a computer museum, not an operating system museum but it still felt weird. Also the as nice as the receptionist lady was, she was sort of pushy but can't really be blamed since the place runs on donations.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Spend an hour...you won't regret it! Memories, detAils, history, air conditioned, friendly staff, donations accepted