“Thank goodness they were driving in that weather!”
Review of Karst Stage Lines

Karst Stage Lines
Ranked #2 of 3 Transportation in Bozeman
More attraction details
Owner description: Charter buses, regional airport shuttles, and everything in between. If you have a transportation need, we can fulfill it!
Margate, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Thank goodness they were driving in that weather!”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Greg was our driver and was waiting for us upon arrival and picked us up bright and early for departure. On top of being extremely nice and funny he was a safe driver. I recommend Karst Stage if you've never driven in snow before. Thanks Greg!

Visited March 2012

rainb0wtraveler
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Beware, they have a monopoly”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I confirmed our pickup of 36 people 24 hours before with Karst bus for a 3:30 am pickup from Big Sky to the airport. They didn't show even though we had a contract and it was all prepaid. I called the driver on his cellphone and woke him up at 3:45. He said he didn't have the paperwork for the job and couldn't do anything. His supervisor apologized but didn't offer any way to accommodate us. I called Big Sky & Taxi on our own and they quickly sent 3 vans and a trailer to pick us all up at $199/van - and then I called Karst to tell them they had to pay for it since we had already paid them for the charter bus that never showed up. They were not helpful at all and only kept telling me they were trying to find other drivers but never came up with a solution. The taxi vans left from Big Sky at 5:10 and got to the airport by 6:05. Flight was at 6:50 and everyone scrambled, but made it.

Tip:If you do use Karst, confirm with the DRIVER directly the night before. Get his number in advance. I don't know if he really didn't get the paperwork or if he just overslept but this was a huge fiasco and a horrible way to end what was a really good trip to Big Sky. And the panic at 4 in the morning was not a good way to start the day. They are the only charter service to Big Sky unless you do the taxi's.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank rainb0wtraveler
Birmingham, Alabama
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The best way to get to and from Big Sky”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

If you don't want to rent a car I would take the Karst Stage to and from the airport to Big Sky. They take the headache out of driving. Both drivers we had were very friendly and very informative about the area.

Auckland, New Zealand
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Karst stage Lines did good job”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I phone ordered a bus trip from Bozeman airport to Big sky return. The flight arrived in at 3pm, I found the Karst driver, but my luggage didnt turn up. I had to wait 30+ min to sort out the lost luggage issue and they kept the bus waiting and kept me reassured. My apologies to all the other people on the bus, but everyone seemed to understand and were happy it wasnt their luggage that was missing.
The return pick-up was on time. Both drivers were knowlegable on the area and we had a good talk on local geology, animals, and the locals.
A good safe option to get to Big Sky from the airport

Oak Ridge, New Jersey
427 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 731 helpful votes
“The Good, The Bad, and the Better”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Overall, I had to fairly rate Karst "Very Good" because they were better than average in most respects - not what we expected after initial contacts.

I first made our reservations for a shuttle to Yellowstone via their website. BEWARE! If you aren't planning for them to pick you up at the airport upon arrival, you have to be careful how you fill out the online form, and/or you need to follow-up by phone. Otherwise, they may be looking for you before you want a ride!

Before arrival, I emailed to confirm our pick-up, and the problems began. One person confirmed a noontime pick-up, while another responded confirming 3PM. Without getting a meeting of the minds, we flew into Bozeman and I decided to check with the Karst sesk at the airport. We were told by Nancy that pick-up would be at our hotel, around noon the following day, since the only other passengers were arriving before then. The conversation, and my joke that I wouldn't like to be kept waiting until 3PM were both witnessed by another employee, so Karst's later excuse that Nancy was "new" were weak at best.

The next day, my wife and I checked out of the hotel and had our luggage in the lobby by 11:45AM, as Nancy had indicated. After 12:30PM, I called Karst to see what was going on. We were told that basically everything Nancy said was wrong. This was when they blamed the misunderstanding on Nancy's "newness", and told me the shuttle would pick us up around 3PM because passengers were arriving at 2:45PM. They said the pick-up was always sometime between Noon and 3 - Something I had not previously been told. The business-like and not very sincere apologies, and the excuse by shifting blame were weak, unprofessional and annoying. After all, we now had to rely on the courtesy of the hotel to allow us to squat in their lobby for three hours. But wait! There's more!

Just before 3PM, I got a phone call from the shuttle driver, Mike Sweeney, who said the 2:45 flight was delayed, and that we would be picked up between 3:30 and 4PM. He sounded truly apologetic, and that is when things started getting better.

Mike called again when he was about 12 minutes from the hotel, and he arrived before 3:30! We got in with five other passengers and began a scenic, informative 1.5 hour drive to Yellowstone. It usually takes an hour longer, but it was dark for the last 45 minutes, so there wasn't much to see. Mike is a true gentleman. He makes use of his wide-ranging education, knowledge and experience to make the trip entertaining and interesting. Mike and the drive made up for our preceding experiences with Karst, which I chalked up to the behavior of a company that knows it's the only game in town.
Mike also drove our 8:45AM shuttle on the day we returned to Bozeman from Yellowstone. As before, the drive took less time than expected, and Mike's narratives and commentary made it seem to pass even faster.
So, be careful in making reservations, and be forewarned on the actual schedule for pick-ups in Bozeman. That way you can avoid the annoying incompetencies of the company excuse makers and "only game in towners", and look forward to a great trip with Mike!