“Bizarre menu, not enough entrees”
Review of Blackbird Kitchen

Blackbird Kitchen
Ranked #14 of 236 Restaurants in Bozeman
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: On the corner of Bozeman and Main Street
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bizarre menu, not enough entrees”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I went to BB tonight with my wife this was probably the 6th time we've been there. BB has a cool atmosphere for bozeman but I don't think when they were designing the place that they thought they were going to be busy. The food was mediocre aat best. We got the burrata for an ap which was good. Entrees I got the pork chop with crispy polenta it was ok nothing to write home about. It was cooked medium which was nice but the sauce was a combination of capers and very raw garlic with no sauce consistency. It was like they put garlic and capers in a pan with a little olive oil and just kinda heated it up but didn't cook it at all. Garlic 101 u have to cook it or its just to strong. All in all the dish was edible but not memorable. My wife got the risotto which as soon as it hit the table I could tell it wasn't cooked enough. She took a bite and then did I the rice was crunchy so that went back. It came back out about 5-8 mins later and was almost cooked enough but not quite. All in all I like BBs atmosphere that's why we keep giving it a chance but a combination of average at best food, ok service and I almost forgot to mention the temperature of the restaurant is like 80 degrees. I don't think we will be going back.

1 Thank coreyryan1

Bozeman, Montana
“A little lacking”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I would like to first say, the food was fine. It may have been a little on the bland side...but not bad. The two star review stems from multiple issues. I am taking issue with the first time restaurant owner that for some reason decided to branch off from something that they were probably really good at and open a restaurant. It was apparent from the layout that no thought was put into overall flow or customer comfort. If your going to charge the kind of money that B.B. is asking you should provide some kind of ambiance. A sardine can table smashed against a wall next to the raging inferno pizza oven where the bus boy routinely runs into your elbow is not my idea of ambiance. Raise your prices by 30% and provide me with a table where I don't have to buddy breath with the sixty year old lady next to me in order to acquire enough oxygen to sustain basic respiratory function. Second, the service. From the beginning...they don't take reservations (for less then six). Really? Ok, if your not going to take reservations then have some kind of system to seat the walk-ins that have to wait for seating. When you arrive at B.B. you are meet by what I can only relate to something you would see in a ball pit at McDonalds and an unfriendly disheveled hostess. Once seated, all I wanted was another bottle of water to replenish the 3 liters of sweat that were now keeping my suit jacket company. Ill just say that the water was the first of the many items our waitress forgot. It was nice that I was already sweating like a Thailand hooker with the Navy in town when I needed to use the bathroom. It was a half a block away. The distance was fine. It was a nice reprieve from the claustrophobia. I take issue with the new species of superbug growing on the door leading to the bathroom. If your going to charge me $11 dollars for a glass of wine from a $14 dollar bottle, then use the profits to buy some Lysol and clean the door leading to the restroom. The only thing that should be that sticky is the floor in a movie theater. Bozeman has an empty quality restaurant niche. Currently, Black Bird is not going to fill it...and to top it all off they were out of the bread I heard so much about. In summary...not an epic fail but a fail non the less. With a few easy changes B.B. could become a great place to grab a decent meal. Like I said, the food was fine. However, food isn't everything if your clientele are miserable.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank TomC59718
Minneapolis
“Really great and a wonderful experience”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Well, I should preface my review by stating that I am a fan of Bozeman. I love the city, the vibe, the whole experience.
Work brings here a couple of times a year and in the summer my wife comes with me.
So, we love the eclectic restaurants in town and have been consistently pleased with this small town that features great restaurants.
My wife found Blackbird on TA and I have to say.. we couldn't have been more pleased!
Service: Absolutely perfect. Young, montanishy kind of a kid but he was attentive, helpful, timely and really on top of things.
Atmosphere: Perfect. Quiet, busy (on a Tuesday night no less!) and just the right amount of scene
Food: Perfect. Eclectic, good quality, good value, really well done.
This restaurant represents what we want in a restaurant. Really enjoyed it and in the end we always ask ourselves the same question... Would we come back. YES!

• Visited September 2012
New Jersey
“What a Find!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Unbelievable pizza, wonderful bread, exciting and unexpected entrees. Amazing decor and great vibe. My whole family left full and happy.

• Visited August 2012
Bozeman, Montana
“Very Savvy Menu!!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I thought the menu for Blackbird was very intelligent. Fresh, local, seasonal and well matched.

It could be a very expensive meal but If you're not looking to spend big bucks I would recommend their starters and appetizers - their tasty, well-portioned and decently priced.

If you're looking for a place to splurge I would recommend Blackbird. Their wine and beer list was good and the food was well worth the price considering the quality of ingredients and preparation.

I was called "Dude" by the server at one point - she had addressed everybody else politely until she reached me?! I laughed it off, so really it's not that much of a complaint! It seemed like an odd thing to do when the rest of the experience at Blackbird is more along the lines of pretentious.

I wish this place did a better job of welcoming you when you first arrive. Everyone kind of jams up at the doorway (which is a very small space) and waits to get someone's attention. I'd like to be welcomed to a restaurant of this quality when I'm a patron on a weekend!

Tip: Make a reservation if you're trying to be timely or have a large party. It will definitely better your experience and will allow them to offer you great service!

• Visited July 2012