“Wow!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gallatin River Grill

Gallatin River Grill
Ranked #33 of 234 Restaurants in Bozeman
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Gallatin River Grill is the most spectacular place to dine in Bozeman and southwest Montana! With breath taking views, creative & classic cuisine, an outstanding wine selection and a full bar, the lodge guarantees a dining experience you will remember. We are so appreciative of our local farms, ranches & dairies that allow us to bring such quality products to our guests. Our wine list boasts unique selections from around the globe. Our dining rooms offer picturesque views of the Spanish Peaks, a table side trout pond, grazing dear, eagles & hawks and the occasional rainbow. The Lodge also offers an exceptional space for corporate dinner parties, weddings, retreats or any array of special events. We are open nightly and reservations are appreciated!
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

The staff is friendly and attentive; just look like you need something to drink and someone asks you if they can get you a drink. The service is outstanding. Dinner was extraordinary, we had the walleye cakes appetizer as well as the scallops in a gorgonzola cream sauce. I loved both and ended up dipping bread in the left over cream sauce. The scallops were cooked perfectly as were the walleye cakes. I had the chief's special smoked pork chop with a flathead cherry glaze with yukon gold potatoes and a crunchy vegetable medley. The pork chop was out of this world. It was nice and moist with a great smokey flavor. I left no potatoes or veggies on my plate... what does that tell you? My wife had almond crusted walleye, off the menu, which was cooked perfectly; we both enjoyed it. The bread was also very good. For dessert, we shared a cheesecake that was yummy. Of note is a very good beer list and an extraordinary wine list. We tried a couple of Oregon Pinot Noirs, which were outstanding. I am going to bore you all before I get to talk about the breakfasts... fresh eggs, cooked anyway you want them.... omelets, pancakes... the best friend egg, cheese and bacon sandwiches that you have ever tasted.. try it on their homemade english muffins. Oh year, and the fresh juices and fruit. For the clown who rated this a one star, stick to McDonalds, you will enjoy it and this very attentive kitchen and staff won't have to put up with you.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank philly099

Bozeman
“Top notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is my favorite restaurant in Montana. The setting is breath taking. The meals are the type that you talk about for months. The rooms are fit for a king. If you have the money to spend you won't regret!

Rexburg, Idaho
“Overated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

My favorite part about the entire dining experience was the ambiance. The restaurant is out in the country alongside a little pond and green meadows. They sat my family outdoors on the patio, which was perfect. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I thought the food wasn't that special. My wife ordered the New York strip medium well; it came out so cooked that we sent it back, which we rarely do. We also had the Walleye, Salmon, Chicken, Ribs, and the Fillet. The ribs were perfect. The salmon was good. The rest was average. I thought the food was just okay, nothing spectacular. I'm thankful we chose to eat there, but for the #1 rated restaurant on trip advisor for Bozeman, and for the reviews we read, and for the money we spent I expected better food and service. If we're back through Bozeman we'll definitely try a different restaurant before we try this one again.

2 Thank Jimmy K
, Manager at Gallatin River Grill, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for coming out and experiencing the Gallatin River Grill while
you were in town. We certainly strive for much better than what you have
expressed in your post. We are so happy that you enjoyed most of your
experience, but are very disappointed in the few things that were not to
your liking. We will be working on finding out what happened and how to
remedy that for our future guests. Thank you for taking the time to post
your comments.
Delray Beach, Florida
“Restaurant Should be a One Star”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Don't be fooled by these ratings. Had to wait 25 minutes before salad was served. Server almost seemed she was bored working in this restaurant. Ordered a filet Mignon medium rare and came medium. My wife ordered her steak medium and it came well done. I never saw a smaller cut of beef. It looked like a McDonald's hamburger patty. I was charged an extra $4.00 for a salad because of a cranberry dressing. I was never told of the extra charge. My advice to tripadvisors,"STAY AWAY". It is absoultely not a 5 star restaurant. Far from it.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Henry L
, Manager at Gallatin River Grill, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
I am sorry to hear that your experience here at the Gallatin River Grill was not the level that we strive for. We apologize for any additional wait time that you may have been incurred due to how busy (popular :) we have become. There is no excuse for your waitress not having a professional attitude and demeanor, we apologize for that. Hopefully you were able to let your server know about your steak so that she could have Chef remedy that quickly by preparing a new one for you. We cut and weigh each of our steaks, and try to be consistent from plate to plate. We believe that plate sizes have become much too large in our society, and have priced each plate competitive with the local market. We are assuming that the “cranberry dressing” (which we do not offer) is in regards to the Bleu Cheese Salad… which has additions of Candied Walnuts, Fresh Apple Slices, Dried Cranberries & Bleu Cheese Crumbles. No where do we boast of being “5 Star”, our previous guests and their experiences have elevated us to that level. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
Jacksonville, Florida
“Good, expected better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We ate here on our first night in Montana. The lodge was fairly easy to find,but you questioned if you were lost after the turn on the gravel road.
The area was beautiful, as is most of Montana. The way the lodge was described I expected it to be ... well, different. Although most of what we ate was very good,the lodge itself and the food seemed a bit pretentious.
By the description, I was concerned that our outdoor travel clothes may not fit in. On the contrary, the dress was from business casual to fishing shirts. I also expected the view to be of the Gallatin river but instead found a fishing pond. Being outdoor people we were not that dissapointed because we witnessed someone catch a nice trout during dinner. Again, not bad, just not what we expected. Once dusk was upon us the deer began to make their way out of the forest line and the ground squirrells and ducks were very entertaining. On to the meal. The staff was very polite and helpful. They were well aware of the specials and were able to describe each dish. We started by sharing the scallops, $12 for six. They were cooked perectly and the gorgonzola cream sauce was fantastic! I had a spinach salad $10 and hubby had the onion soup $8? The salad was good but a little overpriced, the soup was so rich and creamy we could have had it over mashed potatoes and called it a day!
We split the walleye cakes two for $12 and the ribs $25 for a small half rack? The cakes approx 3" dia., had interesting components,but it was hard to find the fish and lacked a lot flavor. The ribs were tasty but borderlined on being to sauced to taste the meat. The beans and slaw were average. For dessert we finished with homemade huckleberry icecream with some tuile cookies, $8? which was very good. All dishes were beautifully presented. The total bill with all listed plus 2 glasses of wine and 2 beers was a little over $100. Sounds like a good deal when you read it, but portions were not that large. I appreciate and look for chefs who use local farms, but any good restaurant in Bozeman can boast the same. I would still recommend going but if I were to come again I would get double the scallops with a salad and call it good. I'm sure anything they cook is fresh, and good quality, we just found other places doing the same later in the trip for half the price.

• Visited June 2012