“Great chicken tortilla soup, but bison burger not cooked properly TWICE”

Ted's Montana Grill
Ranked #5 of 236 Restaurants in Bozeman
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Colorado
“Great chicken tortilla soup, but bison burger not cooked properly TWICE”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Having been to this restaurant before, as well as to one in Carmel, Indiana, we knew what to expect. We were hungry for bison, so we came in for a late lunch. Normally, the acoustics of the Bozeman location, a repurposed/refurbished old hotel, are really noisy, but it seems that perhaps they added a buffer layer of insulation to the ceiling to alleviate that; it was pleasant this time. The seating outside is charming; the street-side is right on Main, facing Bozeman's terrific shopping/dining/entertainment district, while the back is a private courtyard shielded from the side street.

The server suggested to me that I order the bison burger "(the Valejo")---named after T.T.'s ranch near Bozeman---"medium" instead of my customary "medium well". He said they have a tendency to overcook the buffalo, etc., which surprised me, since it is their signature meat. So I ordered it as he suggested; this particular burger comes with Monterey Jack, grilled onions, and sauteed mushrooms. I chose the Oatey Wheat bun which is very good. When it came, the square-cut fries were perfect, the lettuce/tomato sides dressings were fresh, & my burger was completely raw in the middle---not what I was expecting at all from the server's description of a "bit of pink, but not bloody"!

So while I enjoyed a second cup of their fabulous Chicken Tortilla soup (Soup of the Day for Thursdays) "on the house" (thanks to our server), he sent the burger back with the understanding that it should come back Medium Well, since they obviously weren't having any issues with overcooking that day!
The soup is very much like White Chili, minus the green chilies, white navy beans, etc. It is very simple---roasted chicken chunks, yellow cheese, thin tortilla strips, and a spicy broth---to which I added sour cream. It was GREAT!

Thank goodness for the soup, because when my poor Valejo came back a second time, it still was completely raw in the middle. By this time, I was no longer hungry, so we boxed it & brought it home. The next day, I microwaved it to cook the middle, & it was still quite edible. For $16 with only one side (the fries), yes, the bison burger is pricey here...food for thought! The cup of soup is $4, and the Chicken Tortilla is well worth it, in my opinion.

My advice: Order as you normally would! I make bison burgers here at home, & never have any issues with them getting "overdone". The key to ground buffalo is to fry or broil it more slowly, at a lower temperature. Then it is the PERFECT BURGER!

By the way, my husband had the bison meatloaf sandwich on ciabatta & he loved it :)It's only $11 with a side of fries. (Iif I'd realized we could substitute, I would have chosen the squash casserole as a side instead, which I've had previously, & it is very good & unexpected ;)

• Visited July 2011

New York City, New York
“Excellent!!!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

What a wonderful menu! Not just beef, bison, but elk, fish, poultry. Great salad and soup; their fries were crispy and spicy; and the burger...to die for! We've eaten at another one of his similar grills(VA) and had heavier cuts of beef that night and they were perfectly cooked as well. Well worth the visit!(The decor is dark, heavy wood..almost like an old speakeasy-like decor...loved it!)

• Visited July 2011
Indiana
“Enjoyed the food and atmosphere”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

This resturant was very good for an informal business dinner. Dress code is very relaxed. The menu was expansive and creative. The service was prompt and courteous. I would recommend this resturant to business and leisure travelers who want desire a nice meal and festive atmosphere.

• Visited June 2011
Great Falls, Montana
“Good but not great”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We visited on a very busy Friday night. There are no reservations. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful. Appetizers were fresh and tasty. Given its size, it is somewhat loud, so quiet conversation is not an option. The main course for some of us (meatloaf) was almost room temperature, so it was plated too early. One of the beverage glasses was warm, making the drink warm. All in all, we plan to come back again, see if this was a fluke. We would still recommend it, because the burgers and appetizers are excellent, and the bison choice is wonderful!!

• Visited April 2011
Bozeman
“Great burgers, so-so service”
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We eat at Ted's fairly regularly because they have the best burgers in town. A few times I've been tempted to try something different (salmon, steak salad) and have been seriously disappointed - they aren't that interesting and pretty bland. The beef burgers are to die for though! The restaurant can be pretty noisy when it's full and the service has deteriorated since they first opened; it's pretty sad when you only have one beer to see you through a dinner service because your waitress disappears!

• Visited March 2011