All reviews downtown billings western decor historic hotel road trip an older hotel up to date comfortable room king bed staff was very friendly haunted cowboy cattle montana pet microwave hospital chain
Selected filters
Reviewed November 21, 2016

If you think you're going to get something that looks like it stepped out of the 1950's, then you'd be exactly right, but not in a bad way. The decorations were reminiscent of when kids would play "Cowboys and Indians" even before I was a kid (and I'm almost 60). It had all the expected modern amenities, like a flat screen TV with HD channels, coffee maker, microwave and WiFi, but still managed to retain its rustic charm. The attached restaurant was excellent and a great value, but there are also fast food and a Perkins restaurant in easy walking distance as well as most of downtown Billings. My only complaint would be that the inner parking area is cramped and got a little loud on weekends, but I've seen lots worse and I wasn't scared to leave the room at night. The staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful. Overall, we had a good time there and would definitely stay there again.

Room tip: Try for a room near the front desk, the ones near the back are like a maze to find the restaurant.
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Wendy O, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2016

Thank you so much for choosing the Dude Rancher Lodge as your place to stay. So nice to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us and you really like the great Western Hospitality as well as the Western Lodge theme. Come back again, we would love to have you.

Reviewed November 6, 2016

Upon arriving at this motel, we were unable to park in the designated lot.. not because there weren't enough spaces, but because the few spaces that were left were being blocked off by a group of teenagers that were using the spots to play drinking games in. It made us uneasy to ask them to move so we could park. We had a ton of gear in the car and didn't want to chance it.
When we got to our rooms, they smelled of smoke. The trash hadn't been taken out, there were cigarette burns and stains all over the carpet. There was mold in the tubs, hair everywhere in the bathroom. It looked like the room hadn't really been cleaned well in ages. On top of that the ac didn't work. i asked the front desk if this was a smoking room and she let me know that none of their rooms were smoking rooms. Could have fooled me. Super gross. Wish I would have spent an extra $20 to stay in a room I actually felt comfortable walking around in.
When we checked out the manager was too busy looking at something funny on his computer along side his "employees".. they were laughing and carrying on and I literally had to yell to them that we would like to check out. There was no "how was your stay".. nothing. Awful! Don't waste your time and money staying at this dump.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachmeow2016
Wendy O, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2016

Rachel,
Received your review, we do remember your group. We are sorry that when the front desk attendant stepped away, we did not put the bell out for you to ring when you were standing there. Wish you many fine trips in the future.

Reviewed October 24, 2016

I was put up at the Dude Rancher Lodge by my new employers during a week of orientation and settling into Billings. As a new arrival to Montana, the Dude Rancher really gave me my first taste of classic Wild Western Billings! The beds are comfy and they allowed me to bring my dog along without an astronomical up-charge! The location is very central too - right near Broadway St with all its attractions. My only complaint is that I was unknowingly placed in a haunted room! Staying in room 226 made a believer out of me... lights switching off, toilet seat being lifted, coat hangers jangling in the closet, footsteps up and down the empty hall, and (I know this sounds crazy, but...) A LITERAL LIGHT FLOATING AROUND THE CEILING OF MY ROOM. I woke up around 3:30am without explanation each of my 4 nights in 226 and was greeted with these various phenomena. If not for the company of my dog I would have run out of that place screaming!
I really loved the Dude Rancher, but I am never stepping foot in that place again. But if ghost experiences are your thing - PLEASE request room 226 and have a great stay.

Room tip: Room 226 is haunted so if you're into that sort of thing...
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Jaclyn P
Todd G, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2016

Good Morning, thank you for staying with us. We appreciate the review and happy to know you did enjoy yourself? I'm very happy you had your dog with you. You did have quite the experience. Would you please contact me here at the hotel? I have a book I would like to send to you. It has some of our history, which I think you will find intriguing. The author will be here tonight and Friday to sign. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Reviewed October 15, 2016

I like that my dog is welcome here and they don't charge me a crazy high extra charge for him. Some places charge $25 and up per dog per night. Dude Rancher charges a very reasonable $7.00 nightly fee. I was able to a room that exits to my car which was nice. Unfortunately the room I got #102 also happens to where it seems everyone in the entire hotel takes their smoke breaks. So, when I like quiet I had to listen to people chatter and laugh all day and night (it is 9:40PM and they're out there now). They make no attempt to be quiet and there is a perfectly vacant Lincoln center right across the street where they can laugh all night if they want. Very annoying. I bought a fan and have the window closed hoping to lessen the noise, Doesn't work. Anyway, ask not be be given any room near the main office (102, 104, etc) The other issue is that the rooms are very hot even with heaters turned off, so I had to open my window. All of those smoke breaks some right to me. Advice#2 bring a fan . Other than those little things this is a nice place to stay with some history. The rooms are vintage, but clean. You get a very nice sized fridge and a microwave and a nice comfy bed with an extrea blanket if you need it. My big wish is that the owners ask guests and staff to smoke somewhere else (maybe out front) so that the guest aren't disturbed on a regular basis. Why management has allowed this is beyond me. It's after 10PM and no attempt at consideration or being quieter.

Room tip: Room 102, 104.Smokers stand outside rooma 102 day-night laughing and chatting. Very rude. What does management allow this?
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank gebodogs
Todd G, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2016

Hello, first I would like to say thank you for staying with us here at the Dude Rancher. We are pleased you like your room for comfort and ambiance. We apologize for the people and their smoking right in your front area. We are going to be addressing this circumstance you have brought up. Do come back, and we will make sure this doesn't happen again to you.

Reviewed October 14, 2016 via mobile

Lovely quirky room with a very comfy bed. Clean room. Room had a fridge and a microwave. Bathroom had a bathtub aswell.
Older lady on reception when i checked i was super miserable, i figured she had had a bad day....but after reading other reviews i guess that was just her!
Free shuttle to the airport which is pretty close.
I would stay here again.

Trip type: Traveled solo

Thank you so much for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Dude Rancher. We would like to have you back again. The coffee is always available and waiting for great guests like you.