“Ran by and occupied by drunks and druggies”
Review of Dude Rancher Lodge

Dude Rancher Lodge
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Tampa, Florida
“Ran by and occupied by drunks and druggies”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Billings is a very poor city and is full of drugs and homeless people, everyone would be better to stay at a larger chain with security and higher standards. Room was filthy and smelly, housekeeping was rude and lazy.

Could not step out side the room to smoke or stroll around without constantly being asked for money and cigarettes, hotel was a hangout for housekeeping and there friends, I guess housekeeping got a discount for staying there and each had a ton of people hanging around.

My company paid per diem and 2 weeks was all I could stand, I paid the extra and stayed a couple of exits away at the holiday Inn.

• Liked — I would like to say the restaurant but it was always closed due to lack of help
  • Disliked — Management, housekeeping, ghetto like atmosphere
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank safetydiva
duderancher, Assistant GM/Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this review, December 29, 2009
We're extremely concerned that this guest perceived Billings to be a very poor city, "drugs and homeless" Our Chamber of Commerce could and would highly disagree backed with data of large conventions and national awards of "best places to live". Also, the perception that our hotel is run by drunks and druggies as stated in the heading of the review borders on slander. Admittedly, we had staff turnover in July of 2008, which resulted in problems with housekeeping. We would ask future guests to review our most recent reviews, as this post is 17 months old. We apologize for not responding at the time of this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Suffolk, UK
Reviewed July 20, 2008

when i arrived the check-in lady was very nice and i was given my room, when i got up there it hadnt been cleaned so i went and told her so she gave me another which was nice as i could park my car outside the door.

unfortunatly the room wasnt very clean with spiderwebs everywhere and i dont think the carpet had ever been cleaned ! so i made sure i allways had some footwear on.

on the plus side it is very close to all the shops and restaurants

given the oppertunity i would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank TheUKBandit
This review again reflects our turnnover in July of 2008 - we can assure this and future guests that these issues have been resolved
montana
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I read the reviews actually on our way to Montana, and though they were not very good my husband and I took a chance, because of the convient downtown location. I was very surprised when we checked in. The manager was very polite and helpful. we were treated wonderfully. The decor of the rooms is western and the furniture is real pine. The hotel does have some age on it but the beds were firm and the TV's were up to date. Maybe they did some replacing after reading the reviews. Anyway I will return to The Dude Rancher and I do recommend it to my family who have come to visit us.

Stayed January 2008
We thank this guest for sharing a positive experience and recommending to family/friends!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed there on a Sunday/Monday at the beginning of our vacation, with no problems--the motel was old, but we thought cute. And the restaurant was good for breakfast. So, after vacationing at Yellowstone, we went there again Friday to fly out of Billings Saturday morning. The whole place stunk of cigarettes from the extended stay guests who were hanging around (with the desk clerk!) outside the office creating a cloud of smoke. Also these folks uncomfortably reminded me of meth users I've seen on tv and unfortunately in my own town. EEEK! Besides that, when we came out to go eat, these folks ad thrown their jackets all over my rental car, and were leaning all over it as well--thank God there were no big scratches the rental company could have charged me for. Plus, I had to TELL them to get their crap off my carso I could leave. Anyway, if I had occasion to go back through Billings, I wouldn't stay here again on the weekend.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — druggies hanging around on weekend night
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Billings hotels

oregon
Reviewed June 13, 2007

This property is the worst I have seen, I agree with sleep in your car, the hotel room was filthy, cobwebs on walls and ceilings, bedding was filthy, the air did not work, and they ran out of towels and were unconcerned. We requested that housekeeping (I'll use the term loosley) vaccuum and they ran across one spot and never did vaccuum. There power was intermitent and my husbands sleep apnea machine kept going off in the night, he did not sleep. Worse than terrible.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank sdsp
Poconos
Reviewed March 6, 2007

My stay at this hotel was by necessity rather than choice. We'd driven 14 hours that day and Billings was the first real "city" we'd come across in hours, and we were desperate for sleep. The town has dozens of hotels, but strangely, all were booked up on a Tuesday night. A very nice woman at another hotel checked her shared database and informed us the only vacancy left anywhere was at the Dude Rancher, so we mozied on over...

On the outside, this small 2-story structure is mundane at best - inside, it's a complete disaster, shabby, dreary and dark, with filthy old carpeting lining the halls. The room (when I was finally able to get into it, for the doorknob was broken) held banged up old furniture and cobwebs criss-crossed the high beamed ceiling. The theme, apparently once "old west," is now more ghost town. The TV was broken, the A/C was broken (in 90+ temps) and the open windows contained no screens, so mosquitos had the run of the place. The bathroom, which looked like it hadn't seen a renovation in 40 years, held clean but stained, thread bare towels (1 small towel each and a wash cloth to share). Of course, the shower door was off track and the shower head was broken - the tiny trickle of water we were able to coax out ended up on the floor. We wouldn't even sleep in the sheets - we took extra blankets from our car and spread them across the beds and slept on top of those. Oh, and I can't neglect to mention the "roach" left lying on the bedside table - and I don't mean an insect! Apparently, some staff must use this room for partying on breaks.

One positive thing I can say is that the staff I encountered at check-in were extremely friendly (maybe it had something to do with the aforementioned roach?) And in all fairness, I was informed at check-in that this particular room wasn't currently in use because of "minor disrepair," but I was offered the discount rate of $40 and took it because I had nowhere else to go. This stay took place during a 5-week cross country roadtrip and I can honestly say these were the worst accommodations with which we were faced of the 30+ hotels we stayed in during that trip. I'd say I'll never stay in this hotel again, but I can't imagine ever finding myself in Billings, MT again in this lifetime.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2006
6 Thank pawriter
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 23, 2006

May have been great at some time in the past but has serious problems now. Had confirmed reservations and arrived too late and tired to look elsewhere so stayed but shouldn't have. Dirty carpets, TV that was at least 20 years old and on it's last gasp, very uncomfortable mattress, very tired/ragged/stratched decor and I must'nt forget a broken lock on the exterior door that we had to secure with the table. In serious need of a renovation - looks like the last time it was done was in the 60's. The restaurant seems to be popular with the locals but the food while not terrible wasn't great - stirfry was the frozen variety although they added fresh chicken. Left at 5:30 AM the next morning.

• Stayed June 2006