“Passing through 8/12/12” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Olympia, Washington
“Passing through 8/12/12”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had booked online. When we arrived all went well with check in. Room was semi-clean...carpet & drapes pretty gross & funny smell in room.. But for the price it was ok. A ways from freeway& had I known this & known how old & dirty feeling it was I'd definitely stayed some place else. Tons of noise coming from room above us...we were in 124. Sounded like they were doing jumping jacks & running around. Maybe they were just jumping on the bed? Or the ghost? If having a nice room isn't a big deal to you & value matters more, this place is fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rhonda Jo F
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our property. I've given a copy of this to our Executive Housekeeper because these are strictly housekeeping issues....except for the ghost of course! Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Jackson, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Having seen the improvements that are being made (due to it's appearance on the TV show Hotels Impossible), this place still has a chance to become a good value for an older hotel. However, at the moment, they have a long ways to go. The air conditioning was abysmal, the room too cramped with furniture and the old questionable bedspreads still being used. The bathroom while moderately clean were very outdated. The staff was friendly, but the restaurant (which opened late) staff seemed to not want to be bothered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KLS656
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thanks so much for reviewing the Dude Rancher Lodge! Yes, we are in the process of renovating our guest rooms. We've just completed phase 1 (6 rooms) and are beginning the next 6. Renovations include paint, new carpet, new furniture, new bathroom tile and vanities as well as new lighting in all rooms. COMPLETE! Wish it could be done overnight but unfortunately it takes much longer! So, the old bedspreads will become a thing of the past as well as the outdated bathrooms. Yes, our AC has been abysmal! We couldn't agree more - we're still waiting for a very important new part! We do hope that you will return at some point and enjoy the improvements!
MJ
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Booked this room last minute while sitting in SEATAC knowing our arrival would be around 1am and we would be hosed after 17 hours of travel. Great location downtown, direct shot from the airport and the rates were reasonable considering the last-minute nature as well as summertime travel.
This place is campy, hands down, but much more character than the homogeneous cardboard chain motels that litter the interstates and roadways these days. Personally, I would rather give the local 'mom and pop' establishments my dollars, but that's just me.
Air conditioning was fair-to-poor, but coming from Alaska, anything above 60 degrees is warm for us, so it was what it was. My 5 year-old-son loved it, he said it was like being in a lodge...The shower pressure was good and the bright red octagon sink in the bathroom is right out of a Dolly Parton/Burt Reynolds flick from the 1970's.
I would definitely stay here again, however would take full advantage of the free breakfast, which we didn't do this time.

6 Thank MrVeegas
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Hi Mr Veegas! Thanks for the review and we're glad your son felt like he was staying in a "lodge"! That's part of the charm! Just a note that the campy red, green, yellow and blue sinks are gradually being replaced by, of all things, WHITE SINKS! So, no more 70's feel! We are renovating, 6 rooms at a time! I remember talking with you and I hope you and your Son had a great time at the Ranch!
Morgan Hill, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Everyone that works here seemed very nice, they went out of their way to be helpful and make me feel welcome. But this wasn't enough to overcome the stained carpets, stale cigarette smell and the general grunginess of the motel. During my stay the daytime highs were in the high 90's and the little AC unit in my room sighed a little cool air in the room, but it wasn't enough to keep the room cool enough to sleep comfortably. There have been a few happenings in the motel that hopefully will result in renovations, after the lobby bathroom was closed indefinitely and the filming of a motel makeover show. My room was not one that had been renovated during filming!
When I was offered a room in a friends house I took it, even though I had prepaid for the final evening of my stay. The staff didn't offer a refund even though they probably rented it that night, thus getting double booking of the room. My allergies thanked me for leaving.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept an interior room on the first floor. You will not want to open your window to let air...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank FridayTravel
Thank you for posting this review. We are deeply concerned regarding your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel. The fact that you posted a picture will greatly help us in tracking down problems you mentioned in the room. We will address this with our housekeeping department today. We only wish you would have expressed your concerns to our Front Desk Associates so that we could have moved you to a different room. We are a completely non-smoking hotel, so the smell of cigarette smoke is a great concern as well. As far as a refund is concerned, since I have no way of tracking your reservation I cannot tell if you made in on line - it sounds though as you may have made it on Expedia and in that case we cannot issue a refund because the fees have been paid to Expedia. We're glad that you found our staff to be very nice and helpful and that you were made to feel welcome!

Travelers are raving about these Billings hotels

Spokane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very disappointing, carpets stained, furniture worn. Air-conditioned yes, only the air conditioners could not be adjusted as their controls had been REMOVED! Guess they are trying to save on the electric bill - penny wise-pound foolish. Spent a very uncomfortable night - no fan in bathroom, odd odor in room. Maybe some of the rooms are clean...ours wasn't. Restaurant serves a good breakfast.

Room Tip: inspect the room carefully before booking
1 Thank Faye W
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
My goodness it was so nice to read a review where your room was cool! You mentioned, however, that there were no controls. We wish you had inquired about this as we would have been more than happy to show you the controls mounted to the wall (thermostat). We did inspect your room and yes, that carpet needed to be shampooed and has now been taken care of. We addressed the odd odor issue with our Executive Housekeeper as well. Thank you for posting your review!
MJ
Flagstaff, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have no one to blame but myself for not getting a good nights sleep. I read the reviews before I went to Billings and, though there were a number of complaints about the air conditioner, I went ahead and booked it. I was/am impressed that the manager responded to the majority of comments here on Trip Advisor and I figured the problem would be solved because they were aware of it and there had been a number of complaints. I stayed there the night of July 20th and had planned on two or three nights. When I checked in, it felt hot and I asked about the room. The front desk person was very friendly and helpful and assured me that, if it wasn't comfortable, they would give me a fan. I went up to the room and it WAS too hot for comfort, even with the fan, but it was too late to move (~11:00 PM). The place has great potential, but they're missing it. Everything was just a little worn out, but fully functional (except the air conditioner), but clean. Oh - and if you're planning on spending any time in the room, don't plan on watching TV - there were only ~10 channels. One was a movie channel, that was OK if you liked the movie that was on; two were shopping/infomercial most of the time; one was a weird sort of PBS thing that got old fast (I watch a lot of PBS at home -this was some artsy thing, mostly very, very old films and dances and such - interesting for a bit, but...)...no weather channel, no discovery, no history, etc....

Other than that:

Front desk/personnel service was excellent.
Value was overpriced for a room that was too hot to sleep in, had crappy cable, no fitness center and no pool.
Sleep quality - poor, see above.
Cleanliness - very good, no complaints at all.
Location was good if you wanted to be downtown.
Rooms - interesting, very 'montana'ish feel, except for being downtown. If it had been in a small town or somewhere remote, it would have been more appealing.
No swimming pool or fitness center.

Room Tip: Don't go when it's hot unless they've fixed the air conditioner. If they HAVE, it's...
1 Thank BROCIL
Thanks so much for posting a review! It's important for you to know that we ARE working diligently to rectify the air conditioning problem. As I've stated before, unseasonably hot temperatures are really taxing our system and after inspection we found that it was not running at full capacity. The parts necessary to fix this problem have been ordered and we're just waiting for them to arrive. It is not always easy, especially this time of year, to find parts in stock and they can never just be purchased locally. The last thing we want is for our guests to be uncomfortable so this is very difficult for us as well. Not sure about your TV! To quote our GM, "We have more channels than God" -so I have a feeling your TV remote was not set to cable. Wish you would have asked the Front Desk about it as they would have made sure you had all channels! We're glad that you were pleased with our excellent front Desk personnel. MJ
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

In town for work and checked in at the Dude Ranch Lodge - everything else is booked. It's small, cozy, clean and everything works. It's located downtown and it's rather a picturesque location - like something from the 50s. I'd stay again. I ate dinner in their Resturant - it's convenient with a limited menu but the food was fresh and well prepared and the waitress was friendly.

I had breakfast in their cafe as well And at first I was concerned about how long it would take. The cafe is very prompt and efficiently run and the food is basic stick to your ribs country breakfast style and very good. The waitress was very good - excellent service.

Checking in was slow but folksy and friendly atmosphere. Check out was very efficient and the lady in the lobby was expecially friendly and engaging - I thought she was expecially good with coustomers. I liked their clean remote concept that used a generic remote that could be easily cleaned.

Overall the experience was excellent and an interesting experience and I would visit again. Nevertheless, the room was just a bit too small and cozy for my taste.
I also liked the HDTV, refrigerator, and microwave oven. The place also appeared to have had recent work which I also found appealing.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Bringstheeagle
mjlyonspogue, Director of Sales at Dude Rancher Lodge, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you so much for posting a review and pictures! We're glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Historic Dude Rancher Lodge (and yes, we WERE built in the 50's!) Our restaurant has been serving our guests and the Billings community for 63 years! We do hope we'll see you again soon! MJ