“Don't stay here!!!!!!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent $110 for a room that didn't have working water in the bath. After we complained they moved us to another room. The second room had a nasty stain on the bedspread, however we were too tired to complain... We found out in the morning that the phone didn't work after missing our wake up call. When I complained to the acting manager - the best they could offer was 20% off our NEXT visit at that hotel. (Not happening)The posted price on the inside of the door was $800 per night - clearly they didn't want to post their actual price. Over priced for a nasty, rundown sketchy hotel that turned this customer off Econo Lodges F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lynn G
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Dear Lynn G.
Thank you for your comments on your most recent stay. I appreciate your feedback and have addressed your expressed concerns and maintenance issues. I apologize for the inconveniences to your experience with your stay. I did offer you a 20 % discount to attempt to compensate for your dissatisfaction. Once again I apologize and hope to accomodate you in the future.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Friendly staff, clean room, quiet restfull stay; what more could you ask for! Great location to restaurants, shopping, and the West End of Billings. Reserve rooms early as rooms tend to fill up fast. This is one of the better hotels in the area and price is reasonable too!

Room Tip: Reserve early as rooms fill up fast!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear John W.
Thank you for your comments concerning your most recent stay. We here at the Econolodge appreciate feedback so we know how we may continue to improve our hotel to better serve our guests. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

It was a very good and reasonable place to stay. We had a good time while we were there and enjoyed our stay. Nice and clean and quite. We found the people very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent, vetry good with a very good choice to chose from, we went away full.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Frank V,
Thank you for your response concerning your most recent stay. I appreciate your feedback and with guests like you, this lets me know that our hard work and efforts are showing. Once again, thank you for your time. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Premise:
I just stayed one night, over the Labor day weekend (2012) as a rest stop. For what I paid online w/ AAA discount (from Choicehotels.com rsvp...which is the parent company), its wasn't too shabby. In fact, it was pretty good. I noticed that outside were a stacked of mattresses...all being replaced. Could this be a start of a full remodel??? hope so.

General Overview:
My room was clean. Though it is an older property so it has some dated décor. Oh btw, all economy hotels and motels should rid the flowery bed covers. lol. And go with a simple white sheet and accent blanket thing at the foot of the bed (like high end hotels). This will be easier to wash...and eliminate the horror stories of "stains" on the bed cover. yuck. The paint, wallpaper and carpets are ok. looked clean...but outdated. I didn't get freaked out....which is good.

Likes:
- The bathroom was clean. Though the water drain in the shower/tub drained very slowly. However, hot water and pressure was very good.
- This is the first lodging place I have ever seen to give sampler toothpaste. next to the lotion, shampoo, conditioner. Thought it was neat. I did bring my own though.
- free breakfast was available....hot and cold. (note: Hot is biscuits and gravy (no meat) and waffles).
- Pool is outside in back, fenced.
- Hot tub was in a room right in the lobby - full view. is big brother watching???? lol
- Bed was comfy. slept well.
- Though the AC/fan unit is older (in/through wall type), it worked fine. Again, just outdated look and technology....not central or wall panel climate controlled.

Concern:
- The staff is very quiet almost unsociable. I didn't get one hello....unprompted. Seemed odd. Oh well.
- Also something I have seen in other places as well is that there is that weird smell in the side exit/entrance stairwell areas. Can't pinpoint it. Carpet cleaner??? adhesive??? Ventilation??
- Since Billings is primarily industrial, trains go through the city...sometimes at inconvenient times (11pm) blowing the horn. Don't think you can avoid this regardless of place.

Other than that. Not bad. Quick access to restaurants and freeways.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear XplorerMike,
Thank you for your comments concerning your most recent stay with us at the Econolodge in Billings, Mt. Guests like you assist us in making sure that their stays are as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Updates and currently under way at our hotel and the damages you reported have been repaired. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Stacy M. General Manager

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had doctor appointments early in morning so we stayed overnight. Little spendy for the room, it was clean but stained, which was okay as we had a pet. No soap, unless the shampoo did double duty. The breakfast was good, biscuits/gravy, waffles and the usual non cook items. My husband witnessed a ?manager? hollering at a front desk employee about making a sign regarding breakfast hours. Not cool!! You don't holler at employees infront of customers. We stayed here four years ago for a month when my husband was working through the union hall. The hotel was under a different name, I think Kelly? Will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for Fridge, not all rooms have them
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear MnM McIntyre,
Thank you for your comments concerning your last stay here at the Econolodge. I apologize for the incident with the front desk staff and assure you that this issue is being addressed. We are currently remodeling and updating the hotel to better serve our guests needs. We look forward to serving you in the future. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Billings, MT was my first stop on a 5 day cross-country road trip from Tacoma to Orlando. The morning before I left, I checked motel prices online at choicehotels.com and found this room priced at $76. Thinking I could do better finding a motel on the fly, I didn't book the room. Arriving in Billings 12 hours later, I found plenty of motels, but they were either full or filling up fast. The two Motel 6's across the road were booked with two people waiting in line. Heading to the Econolodge, I found the rate now at $119, even with a senior discount. I couldn't believe it. $119 a night? In Billings?? On a Thursday??? Fearful that I wouldn't find any place else after an hour of searching, I bit the bullet and got the room.

The room was OK. It was worn and in need of a remodel. There was damage on the wall in the bathroom, but it appeared clean. Logging on using the free wi-fi, I found the room online priced at $107. I went down to the desk to inquire about why the difference. The girl was friendly and listened, but said that the price online is cheaper than showing up at the motel. She said she could not refund the difference, but that I could talk to the manager in the AM.

I wasn't expecting much, but found that Stacy, the manager, is a real pro. She was friendly and personable and refunded me $12 on the bill. I told her about the damage in my room and she took note of it and thanked me for letting her know. This definitely helped make up for a rather expensive one night stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear County Hunter,
Thank you for your comments concerning your most recent stay with us at the Econolodge in Billings, MT. I appreciate your feedback and assure you that guests are always put first and I take seriously customer dissatisfaction. We are updating several items throughout the hotel and the maintenance issues you addressed have been remedied. I appreciate you taking the time to list your concerns with me. I look foward to serving you in the future.
Stacy M. General Manager

Reviewed August 23, 2012

First stop of vacation. Booked through Choicehotels.com. My wife and three kids in a double queen room with frig and micro. Room filthy a/c doesn't work. Had maintenance repair but still didn't work. Told to open windows. I had to call to speak to the manager, no manager there. They actually told my wife to checkout and find another place to stay. Put them into a king room no pullout or roll aways. When asked if they could get a microwave and refer the guy actually told them to check out he was tired of dealing with them and the faster they left the better. Wife had to pack up three kids at 9:30 at night and move to another hotel. I have been using Choice Hotels for years. This one should be removed as one of their properties. Stay at your own risk. Here you will get far less than you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kirk T
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Kirk T.
Thank you for your most recent response to your most recent stay with us. I apologize for the dissatisfactions you expressed. I am available 24/7 and do apologize that I was not able to speak with you before your departure. I have spoken with the appropriate staff and assure you that these issues have been addressed. We strive to attempt to make each guests stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. From what you said, we did upgrade your room and I apologize that this was not to your satisfaction. I would like to earn your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Stacy M. Genereal Manager