“Nice and comfortable for overnight”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Premise:
I just stayed one night, over the Labor day weekend (2012) as a rest stop. For what I paid online w/ AAA discount (from Choicehotels.com rsvp...which is the parent company), its wasn't too shabby. In fact, it was pretty good. I noticed that outside were a stacked of mattresses...all being replaced. Could this be a start of a full remodel??? hope so.

General Overview:
My room was clean. Though it is an older property so it has some dated décor. Oh btw, all economy hotels and motels should rid the flowery bed covers. lol. And go with a simple white sheet and accent blanket thing at the foot of the bed (like high end hotels). This will be easier to wash...and eliminate the horror stories of "stains" on the bed cover. yuck. The paint, wallpaper and carpets are ok. looked clean...but outdated. I didn't get freaked out....which is good.

Likes:
- The bathroom was clean. Though the water drain in the shower/tub drained very slowly. However, hot water and pressure was very good.
- This is the first lodging place I have ever seen to give sampler toothpaste. next to the lotion, shampoo, conditioner. Thought it was neat. I did bring my own though.
- free breakfast was available....hot and cold. (note: Hot is biscuits and gravy (no meat) and waffles).
- Pool is outside in back, fenced.
- Hot tub was in a room right in the lobby - full view. is big brother watching???? lol
- Bed was comfy. slept well.
- Though the AC/fan unit is older (in/through wall type), it worked fine. Again, just outdated look and technology....not central or wall panel climate controlled.

Concern:
- The staff is very quiet almost unsociable. I didn't get one hello....unprompted. Seemed odd. Oh well.
- Also something I have seen in other places as well is that there is that weird smell in the side exit/entrance stairwell areas. Can't pinpoint it. Carpet cleaner??? adhesive??? Ventilation??
- Since Billings is primarily industrial, trains go through the city...sometimes at inconvenient times (11pm) blowing the horn. Don't think you can avoid this regardless of place.

Other than that. Not bad. Quick access to restaurants and freeways.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear XplorerMike,
Thank you for your comments concerning your most recent stay with us at the Econolodge in Billings, Mt. Guests like you assist us in making sure that their stays are as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Updates and currently under way at our hotel and the damages you reported have been repaired. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had doctor appointments early in morning so we stayed overnight. Little spendy for the room, it was clean but stained, which was okay as we had a pet. No soap, unless the shampoo did double duty. The breakfast was good, biscuits/gravy, waffles and the usual non cook items. My husband witnessed a ?manager? hollering at a front desk employee about making a sign regarding breakfast hours. Not cool!! You don't holler at employees infront of customers. We stayed here four years ago for a month when my husband was working through the union hall. The hotel was under a different name, I think Kelly? Will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for Fridge, not all rooms have them
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear MnM McIntyre,
Thank you for your comments concerning your last stay here at the Econolodge. I apologize for the incident with the front desk staff and assure you that this issue is being addressed. We are currently remodeling and updating the hotel to better serve our guests needs. We look forward to serving you in the future. Thank you for your time.
Stacy M.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Billings, MT was my first stop on a 5 day cross-country road trip from Tacoma to Orlando. The morning before I left, I checked motel prices online at choicehotels.com and found this room priced at $76. Thinking I could do better finding a motel on the fly, I didn't book the room. Arriving in Billings 12 hours later, I found plenty of motels, but they were either full or filling up fast. The two Motel 6's across the road were booked with two people waiting in line. Heading to the Econolodge, I found the rate now at $119, even with a senior discount. I couldn't believe it. $119 a night? In Billings?? On a Thursday??? Fearful that I wouldn't find any place else after an hour of searching, I bit the bullet and got the room.

The room was OK. It was worn and in need of a remodel. There was damage on the wall in the bathroom, but it appeared clean. Logging on using the free wi-fi, I found the room online priced at $107. I went down to the desk to inquire about why the difference. The girl was friendly and listened, but said that the price online is cheaper than showing up at the motel. She said she could not refund the difference, but that I could talk to the manager in the AM.

I wasn't expecting much, but found that Stacy, the manager, is a real pro. She was friendly and personable and refunded me $12 on the bill. I told her about the damage in my room and she took note of it and thanked me for letting her know. This definitely helped make up for a rather expensive one night stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear County Hunter,
Thank you for your comments concerning your most recent stay with us at the Econolodge in Billings, MT. I appreciate your feedback and assure you that guests are always put first and I take seriously customer dissatisfaction. We are updating several items throughout the hotel and the maintenance issues you addressed have been remedied. I appreciate you taking the time to list your concerns with me. I look foward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

First stop of vacation. Booked through Choicehotels.com. My wife and three kids in a double queen room with frig and micro. Room filthy a/c doesn't work. Had maintenance repair but still didn't work. Told to open windows. I had to call to speak to the manager, no manager there. They actually told my wife to checkout and find another place to stay. Put them into a king room no pullout or roll aways. When asked if they could get a microwave and refer the guy actually told them to check out he was tired of dealing with them and the faster they left the better. Wife had to pack up three kids at 9:30 at night and move to another hotel. I have been using Choice Hotels for years. This one should be removed as one of their properties. Stay at your own risk. Here you will get far less than you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kirk T
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Kirk T.
Thank you for your most recent response to your most recent stay with us. I apologize for the dissatisfactions you expressed. I am available 24/7 and do apologize that I was not able to speak with you before your departure. I have spoken with the appropriate staff and assure you that these issues have been addressed. We strive to attempt to make each guests stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. From what you said, we did upgrade your room and I apologize that this was not to your satisfaction. I would like to earn your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Stacy M. Genereal Manager

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Oh my. We can deal with a lot, but this was beyond the pale. The room itself was okay, but the sink area, which is immediately on the right as you enter, was chipped as though someone had chewed on it (a while ago). There was only one water cup instead of the usual four, and one coffee cup, and the coffee machine was broken. The facial tissues were empty after the first pull. When we opened the drapes, the view was horrible. (See photo.) Finally, the air-conditioning was very loud (think 747 takeoff), so we put in earplugs. But as the night progressed, another, extra-terrestrial sound periodically added to the din. What a disaster. We wouldn't return if back in the area unless we could first vet the room.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before agreeing to book.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Patricia Pimental,
Thank you for your response to your most recent stay. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I have spoken with the appropriate staff and am implementing new policies to continue to improve our services to improve guest satisfaction. Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I paid almost $100 per night for a single room with a noisy air conditioner, a clogged up bathtub, dripping water in the hall outside my room, a little girl behind the front desk who was too busy reading her aesthetics textbook to be bothered with helping customers, and no one cleaned my room after the first night, not even clean towels? AVOID THIS PLACE!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Roscoe C,
Thank you for your recent comments. I appreciate your comments and have addressed your concerns with the appropriate staff and am remedying the situations. We strive to continue to be better and with customers like you making us aware of concerns we can only become better. I apologize for your dissatisfaction and would like to continue to see you in the future. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I spent the night here on my way to Bozeman. I was less than thrilled. The location is adjacent to the highway on one side, a casino on the other and an adult store on another. It served the purpose. I slept and got on the road the next day. The complimentary breakfast left something to be desired. I suggest that you stay on the 2nd floor because the 1st floor rooms open two ways. I guess it is what I should expect when staying overnight at the least expensive place I could find.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Faron S, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Dear Chrysny,
Thank you for your most recent stay at the Econolodge. I appreciate your comments and am sorry you had a less than pleasurable stay. Our location is easily accessible from the interstate and is close to several other amenities. I apologize for your inconveniences and would like to extend a 20 % discount off of your next stay with us. I look forward to serving you in the future.
Stacy M.