“Not very Grand” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Helena, Montana
“Not very Grand”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

I am not one to complain much...we are very easy going people.
Luckily we only had to stay here one night! We were given a room in one of the wings of the building. The long walk through the halls was crazy. The carpet in the hall was filthy. Once we got to our wing we realized there was no elevator. Ok, there are only 2 floors but we had alot of luggage and the stair well was small.
The carpet in the room was very dirty, we didn't take off our shoes. The shower came out in a trickle and the blow dryer would not stay on and was tripping the GFI switch so I used my own blow dryer and the GFI electrical switch fried my blow dryer and ruined it.
Of the 2 free computers in the front lobby (out in the open where there was no privacy) one of them kept freezing up. Neither of them worked with the printer!
On our way back through Billings a week later, we choose to stay at the Fairfield Inn. Only $15 more per room but was clean, and we got breakfast too!

• Disliked — Condition
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Helena Traveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2006

My seventy-three year old mother and I stayed at eight different hotels in fifteen nights, and almost all of them were fantastic (thanks in part to reading reviews from fellow travelers at TripAdvisor).

We stayed at the Holiday Inn-Grand Montana in Billings for the night of Thursday, August 10th, 2006. When I entered the hotel, I thought it looked exactly like the Holiday Inn Rapid City-Rushmore Plaza, with the center courtyard and waterfall (see my separate review). I was really looking forward to going to our room to relax, until the staff member showed me the location of the room on a map. The room was not even in the hotel, but in the motor lodge in the back. Well, it could not be too bad, I thought, until my mother and I arrived at Room 1145. The room was at the intersection of the main hallway and the hallway from the outside to the pool area. To make matters worse, the hotel was full of young cheerleaders in for a competition. I thought to myself, this will not do, I will not get any sleep at all!

I went back to the front desk and complained that while the room may be fine, the location was a nightmare. She did the best she could and found us a room on the second floor near the middle of the complex. When we arrived at the door to go upstairs, we noted how disgusting the stairwell was. It was absolutely filthy, something you might see at a motel in a rundown part of town. After climbing the stairs, we went down the hall to find more young cheerleaders running around and making all sorts of noise. Oh great, I thought, it just keeps getting better. Then we entered Room 2416, and while it looked nice and was very large, it certainly was not clean. Even with the poor lighting, we could see it needed to be vacuumed and we found crumbs on the floor near the bed. My mother also commented that the bed sheets did not look too clean.

The room contained two double beds, a clock radio, a chair, a recliner, a desk, a large television in a cabinet with remote, a coffeemaker, and an iron and ironing board.

Then we went in the large bathroom and were absolutely shocked at how dirty it was, especially for a three diamond AAA rated hotel! There was human hair and stains on the wall, the bathtub and floor area had mildew/rust stains. We also found an unknown substance on the heat lamp. Needless to say, we did not take a shower that evening and were disgusted by the whole bathroom.

Surprisingly enough, despite all the cheerleaders being in the hotel, it was actually quiet after 10:00pm. I guess they had a curfew…

In the morning upon checkout, I let the staff member at the front desk know of our displeasure and she apologized. She did say that they were planning to renovate the hotel, but that was no excuse for such a dirty hotel.

After taxes, the American Automobile Association room rate came to $95.23 U.S. Funds for the one night. My credit card was only charged $95.00 U.S. Funds, and the staff member paid the $0.23 out of her own pocket. By far, this was the worst hotel my mother and I stayed at on our trip. We have stayed in some pretty bad hotels over the years, but never a Holiday Inn…until now.

• Disliked — The disgustingly dirty bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you get a room in the Atrium part of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank macmaroon

Travelers are raving about these Billings hotels

Belton, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2006

I have used Holiday Inns for over 30 years and always been more than happy with them. However, this time and this hotel did not live up to what I have come to expect with the Holiday Inn chain. Before we left on vacation I read a couple of reviews that were less than glorious. I therefore, wrote and asked to insure that I would be in the atrium area of the hotel. We arrived in a cold driving rain. I asked if the room was ready and they said no. Not a problem, however, I did ask if I was going to be in the Atrium area. I had written to the manager about 3 weeks in advance of our arrival and asked for an atrium room. He said that at that time I was in the other area. I felt that he was going to take care of this matter. I suppose it was my problem that I assumed this. I was told that my room would be in the atrium area when I first arrived.
We came back about 2 hours later and we were given a room in the area the furthiest away from the atrium. It would remind you of the OLD MOTELS. The room was small and run down. The walk to the resturant or the front part of the hotel required jogging shoes. It was impossible to reach the room from the front part of the hotel with a rack to make it easier to bring in luggage from the bad weather and be able to keep the car under a cover. So we carried in the luggage in the driving rain.
When I wrote the manager before our stay I mentioned that my husband and I had become aware of a slight allergy to pets and didn't want to stay in a room where there might have been a pet. We always ask for non-smoking. The hotel was not 1/3 full that Sunday night so I am sure there would have been plenty of room for us in the atrium area. On Monday morning when we checked out a Standard Size Poodle was being led out of the lobby area.
Sorry to say I feel that this dog was treated to a room that was better than ours.
Next time through Billings, I will find another Hotel.

• Liked — It sure looked good when you walked in.
  • Disliked — The inconvenience of the rooms to the front of the hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderingwonders
Bozeman, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

We booked our room through hotwire and got a great deal here....at least, we thought. When we checked in, they put us in the east building which is most of the hotel. We walked in the hallway entrance from the parking lot and noticed right away that the carpet was FILTHY! There wasn't one clean spot in the whole hallway. We got to our room and found more carpet stains. One was a 6 inch in diameter red stain. The chairs were torn and the ceiling looked like it was going to cave in. Even the bathroom tub was very slow at draining. I went to the front desk and argued over the quality of the room. As I was talking, I heard another angry guest and we both started to talk about the quality. He was a premium member and they put him in a similar room. We finally decided to get an atrium room the final night. The next day we moved into it and couldn't be happier. It was much nicer and in much better shape. It overlooked the parking lot, but oh well. The atrium part of the hotel is beautiful, but the whole east building is a dump. I know they're going through an 8 million dollar renovation which was evident by the brand new beds in the rooms. The staff was very helpful. The pool was wonderful!! The atrium is beautiful and has two glass elevators and a two story waterfall. The restaurant is far from fancy and again needs updating, but the food was decent. The whole east building's carpet was terrible. The wireless did work great and I was happy we got an atrium room. Overall, if you have to stay here, stay in the atrium, or at least until they renovate.

• Liked — The atrium and the pool
  • Disliked — The quality of the east building rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a room in the atrium, not the east building. They're much more cleaner and updated.
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Justin C
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

In my travels, I have had the opportunity to stay in many high class hotels around the world. Many brands tout high levels of service, but NO WHERE have I ever experienced the level of "down home...at your service...what MORE can I do to help you enjoy your stay?" type service as I did at this Holiday Inn in Billings, Montana!

The front desk staff was so warm and welcoming...and the hotel's general manager personally offered me a cold bottle of water due to the fact that it was check in time and the line was getting a little long. He personally went out of his way to speak to each of the guests, and let them know that they would be the next one to be assisted.

Milt, the bellman, helped me to my room, and even offered to fill up my ice bucket and place a wake-up call for me. I have never been big on food in hotel restaurants, but the food in the Yellowstone (?) was out of this world!

All in all, my stay was excellent. The hotel is a little worn, but the smiles on each of the faces of the staff and the "hello" and "how are you?" greetings from the staff...even the hotel maids...was something that I have not experienced even in some of the high-class places my company has put me in Europe and Asia. I had to keep reminding myself that I was in MONTANA!!!

Two enthusiastic thumbs up for this place. And my room was only $119...WOW! Great job to the manager and his staff!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Searcy, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2006

Easy to find, good hotel. My room was large, clean, and everything worked. I was disappointed that the in-hotel steakhouse was closed (on a Saturday night!?). I chose the hotel because I didn't want to go out again to eat after a long day of driving; oh well...
The pool looked nice but I didn't use it because it was full of kids screaming and hollering; good thing it's not near most of the rooms. The breakfast the next morning was very good, and the waitress was terrific. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank YorkResident
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2005

I have stayed here several times. I like staying in the atrium the best, the rooms are better and easier to get around like to the pool etc. It is near restaurants, shopping, mall, and interstate. Not far from airport by interstate but the closest hotel. ONly a mile from the Zoo etc.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business