“Great Hotel in Billings”
Review of Big Horn Resort

Big Horn Resort
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My family stayed here on our vacation through Montana. I thought it was very nice. The rooms were average size but were very clean. The staff was helpful and gave us a nice rate. The breakfast was simple but was free so how can you complain! The pool was fun and we enjoyed our stay overall. A nice hotel in Billings for sure!

Room Tip: Booked directly from their website and saved a couple bucks!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for you comments. I will pass them on to our staff. We look forward to your next visit to Montana.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel was average. Doors that had security signs reading locked 24 hours for your security were never locked during our stay. The water park closed early in the evening, before our 5:00 arrival. There was a hot tub available separate from the water park. Breakfast was good, even though the room was crowded.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for your candid response. I apologize if we did not meet your expectations. Our signs at the door state that the doors are locked after 10pm, not 24 hours, that would be why the doors were unlocked at 5pm. Our waterpark is open until 9pm Tue-Sat and at 7pm on Sun & Mon. The only time it would be closed earlier would be if there was a lightening storm in the area. Again I apologize if we misinformed you in any way.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed here for a work trip and was happy with it overall, but probably would have been a bit less so had it been leisure stay.

The hotel itself is in good condition with clean rooms and public areas, and the location was convenient to everywhere I needed to go. The staff I spoke to was nothing exceptional, but I also did not ask anything exceptional of them - they did their jobs quickly and efficiently.

The one major drawback for me was that the attached waterpark obviously draws a lot of families, and more often than ever before this means loud and rambunctious children. I completely understand children having fun, but at all hours of the day, including early morning and close to midnight to a lesser degree, there was a seemingly constant stream of them running and yelling in the halls, a few even bouncing their pool toys off the walls. At one point there was a hotel employee in the hall when a group of 3 boys came running down yelling to each other with the parents trailing behind, and the hotel employee just walked by the parents without saying a word. I completely understand that the hotel cannot control all of the guests and that hotel such as this is truly designed with families in mind, but they are also a conference center that likely draws business travelers. On two occasions there were also groups of 4-5 children under the age of 12 who did not appear to have any adults with them. I think a clear policy requiring children to be supervised and employees who are empowered to enforce it would make this hotel a more desirable location for business and non-family guests.

The complimentary breakfast was a great addition, however only a few of the items were very satisfying. We enjoyed the pastry options (and fresh cookies in the afternoon!) but the hot food left a bit to be desired - we nibbled a bit but the opted to go out for breakfast elsewhere.

Overall this is a good hotel, but definitely not ideal for couples and unfortunately not quite so for the business travelers to the conference center.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for your candid review. We will definitely review your comments to assist us in bettering our business. Summer has many families traveling and unfortunately that is noisier than the rest of the year. I apologize for the inconvenience for yourself and I hope you will try our facility during the off season as it is much more business comfortable.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Nice comfortable room. I thought the hotel was quiet considering the fact that they had an indoor water park. I slept really well and the shower was nice. The free breakfast was the best one I've had. They had eggs, bacon, home fries and homemade bread. This is an extremely nice property.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for your candid comments. I will share them with our staff and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights the beginning of June and everything went great! We were there for a Convention and they were very busy but handled everything very efficient, professional and friendly. Our room was great, very comfortable and clean. I love having a fridge and microwave! We're not swimmers, but the fitness room was awesome. I really like that you can adjust the thermostat. The only thing I didn't like was that the blinds don't block enough light, so we were up with the sun...But that's only an issue if you're ridiculously light sleepers like us :) We would definitely stay here again and just ask for an inside room....Oh, and the breakfast was really good...TONS of food!

Room Tip: Inside room if light wakes you up.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for your candid comments. I will share your thoughts with our staff. We look forward to you next visit to Billings.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I booked this hotel because it was across the street from the VA medical center. The girl I talked to said they offer NO medical rates nor VA rates. Are you kidding me?! I did get senior rates that were not good. Later I looked online and found that their senior rate was an additional $5.00 off. When I checked in I asked about this and the clerk honored the internet rate. I also asked about VA or medical rates. She said they do have medical rates but they are individually contracted by each medical facility and I should have the VA call the hotel manager. This is distressing to me. I can't see the VA calling. There are many hotels in Billings that bend over backwards for military, both active and retired.
The breakfast was awesome!! Pancakes, biscuits & gravy, juices, fruit, yogurt, cold cereal, muffins, scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns.
The room was large and comfortable. I thought however that for the price the bed would be more luxurious. These beds were just nice.
Our room was on the end by the stairs and I thought it would be noisy. I was delightfully surprised. We had a very quiet night.
They don't tell you this, but it is a choice hotels partner. Be sure to get your points.

1  Thank CoalLady
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for your candid review. I want to say we do value our military, although we do not usually have patients that stay over from their VA treatments, therefore we do not have a formal discounted rate set up for the VA. I apologize for the incovenience this may have caused you and should you need to stay in the future please ask for a manager to quote you a military rate. Thank you for your service and I hope you are doing well.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went up with the kids on a saturday night to swim and do some shopping. The hotel was clean but nothing extravagant. Bought a pair of shoes on saturday. When we got home sunday night we had realized that without a doubt we left the shoes in the room. I called immediately and was transferred to the housekeeping manager. I left a message stating the issue and waited till around 11 am the next day (Monday) to call again since I had not yet received a call back. When I talked to her she said she would look for them. She called me back later that evening and stated that she still hadn't found them. I then called the hotel manager and she also told me she would investigate and call me back. The next day (Tuesday) I called the hotel manager and was told she was in meetings all day. She never called me back. I talked to the housekeeping manager one last time and I was told that they weren't found and that she has honest staff and they would have turned them if they found them. I realize that they are not liable or responsible for me leaving them in the room but the last resort I stayed at I left a pillow and they contacted me. I would expect this from a average hotel but not a resort. There is no doubt that we left the shoes in the room. Also bad customer service on the hotel manager's part to not call back when she said she would. I will not stay here again due to this incident.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
bighornresort, General Manager at Big Horn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

I wanted to apologize for your experience. We did find several things you had left in your room, but shoes was not one of them. Our staff was in contact with you several times to relay that information. We had several staff members who witnessed what was left in your room and all accounts reported the same sightings. I understand that leaves you frustrated, although we could not find your shoes in any of the items you left.