“Very Good Scratch Made Food”

Don Luis Restaurant
Ranked #116 of 359 Restaurants in Billings
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We ate here twice. The first time was great. Not your typical pre made ground meat and bland sauce restaurants. The beef and chicken was well prepared and the sauces over the enchiladas, etc. was really good. I asked for a combination plate not on the menu. The waitress was more than happy to accommodate me. My only gripe was that the second night the beef in our enchiladas was dry and over cooked. But do not be deterred from going. Just insist on their best and freshest ingredients. You will be happy you did.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

You won't be disappointed nor will you be overwhelmed. The food was hot and tasty but didn't overly impress. The chips and salsa were excellent. First round of chips and salsa is free a d then you are paying for subsequent orders. The beer was kind of warm as the dining room was very warm too. I think their AC was not in working order. Service was great, at times we two waitresses. Moderately priced as well.

1  Thank Bonesmania
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The shabbiness of the property's interior made for a bad first impression, considering that right above our table there were several roof tiles missing, exposing pipes and electrical cords and giving me some concerns about particles falling out and onto my food. The food was waaaay over micro-waved, to the point where the plates were so hot that we couldn't even touch them during the meal. Skimpy bowls of salsa required us to ask for more. As to the food itself, not real impressive, especially as they were microwaved to exhaustion. Never ate a chile relleno that was crisp to the point of disintegration before. I wouldn't return and certainly would not recommend.

2  Thank friendlysdinnkeeper
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Don Luis is the locals' favorite Mexican, and for good reason. Food was delicious, quantities huge. Waiter was terrific, too.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Come hungry, and leave (overly) satisfied. Even the starting chips and salsa are special - the salsa has a nice bite, and the chips include a nice assortment (flour ones are extra swell). I had Pablo's favorite, and it was mighty fine - tamale, cheese enchilada, chimichangas and more. The downside was that after finishing the meal, I was too full for dessert (I wanted to sample the flan).
The staff was pleasant, and we were served in a timely manner. Yeah, we'll be back again. And again, and...