“Wi-Fi is poor”
Review of Cherry Tree Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Billings
Cherry Tree Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Billings B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The Cherry Tree Inn bills itself as family-owned and -operated. As such, it differs somewhat from the run-of-the-mill big-chain motels. For one thing, the water glasses are made of glass rather than plastic. The lobby is attractive. My room was large. The furniture was well worn, but the TV was new. There was always lots of activity in the halls, but it was quiet at night. Breakfast consisted of bagels, sweet rolls, or waffles. There was no cereal, and there was no milk or cream for coffee. The Wi-Fi situation was terrible. I could not get to the Internet while in my room. Roaming around the place, I was able to find a spot where a weak signal came in. But it was sporadic and frequently interrupted. I finally was able to get a halfway decent connection by logging in to the clinic across the street from the motel. The clerk didn't know much about the motel's wireless service and really didn't care. If you're not interested in Wi-Fi and if you don't care about having a decent breakfast, this place should be OK for you. Otherwise, I'd advise you to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Greg N

Reviewed December 9, 2011

I stayed at the Cherry Tree from Nov 14- 22, 2011. The reason for the stay medical related. I wanted to be close to the Billings Clinic Hospital, where my elderly father was to have surgery. I have stayed at this hotel on 2 other hospital related trips in past years, so I knew from previous experience that this place lacked many amenities, it's ONLY plus is it's location. My room was 205, facing 27th St, a very busy and noisy street that parallels the clinic.
To make this short I will list the good things about the hotel - they are the closest hotel to the Billings Clinic Hospital and they have amazing rocks and fossils in the lobby.
Now for the bad things about the Cherry Tree, this list is very long, unfortunately. The room itself was dark and depressing- carpets were filthy ( my husband said they looked like they hadn't been cleaned in 15 years); curtains hooks were missing so curtains wouldnt close completely; 3 out of 4 lampshades were broken and looked like something out of a horror movie; laundry room was a cave-like room with a rough table that snagged clothes - the washing machine was persnickety and stole quarters every night. The desk person got crotchety when asked for a refund. When the machine broke with my load of laundry in it, he snarled and put an out of order sign on the door, leaving me with a wet, unwashed load of laundry. ARG! The final straw that caused us to check out of this nightmare of a hotel was a police raid of the room next door at 3:30 am. This was after many hours of people coming by said room and knocking on the door every hour, waking us up. I forgot to mention that during this time, there were people smoking somewhere closely in the hotel, totally stinking up our room and causing us to open our patio window to air it out ( outdoor temp was 23 degrees so this tootally sucked for comfort) ....I found out after we left this awful establishment that Montana law is that no smoking is allowed in hotel rooms. Obviously, the Cherry Tree has bigger issues to deal with than pesky smokers!
My husband wanted me to also include a comment about the front desk staff - they are dour and not what you would call customer friendly. I recognized the crew from previous stays in the past 15 years and their temperaments had not improved over time. In their defense, it must be very difficult to work at a place that is so run down and poorly managed.
In conclusion, I would have to say that I will NEVER stay at the Cherry Tree Inn again, I would Not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011
7  Thank BossDoggie
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn for nine nights when I came to Billings to support my friend who was having a cancer-related surgical procedure. When my late husband had chronic medical issues, I learned that it's all about location and convenience. This motel is within a very short walking distance from the Billings Clinic and Hospital. When my friend was discharged, the volunteer escort took her right to the motel door in her wheelchair!

Also, Perkins, CVS, KFC, Hardees, and Albertsons are very close. We didn't have to move our vehicle, except when we wanted to go explore the city over the weekend, between my friend's pre-admission work-up and her surgery. There was always parking available close to the door nearest our room.

The staff is very helpful and friendly. The daily continental breakfast is a wonderful convenience, and we appreciated the doughnuts, breads, juice, and coffee. This is an older building that has been recently renovated. We had a corner room that had extra space, which was nice when my friend's daughter stayed with us the night before her mom's surgery. Although most of the rooms were occupied during our stay, the building was very quiet, which is important for people as stressed as we were!

There is a computer with Internet access in the lobby, and I was so happy to be able to use it to update our friends and family. I'm sorry to read that some people felt their experience here was not the best, because my friend and I had no complaints, and would definitely stay here again in the future, and have recommended it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for the clinic discount if someone in your party is in Billings for a medical reason!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank geyser_girl
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn in Billings for one night on our way to a wedding in Western Montana. The main attraction was the reasonable price. We arrived around 9 PM after a long day in the car and were happy to find clean and reasonable accommodations. There was a Perkins across the street and we got some take out and ate it in the room. There was free wireless internet, which I appreciated. The breakfast in the morning was okay with rolls and bagels. I saw that they had waffles, but I didn't eat any. The breakfast room was crowded so we took our food back to the room and ate. While the furniture was dated, the bed was surprisingly comfortable and the room was clean and that was all we cared about. We left before 9 AM to head back on the road, and were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DanielleMN
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed here because the hotel that I usually stay in was full. This place was not highly recommended in the community
1. First of all and most concerning, I found several types of bugs in the room.
2. The stench of stale cigarette smoke was overwhelming
3. The internet did not work. When I called the front desk I was told "Don't ask me, I just work here"!! Prior to this I did not realize that someone would actually have the audacity to say this.
4. The refrigerator did not keep my food cold and so the food was discarded
5. The frond desk staff were so surly and burnt out that I had to wonder what was really gouig on here.
6. The toilet did not flush half of the time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank golfer123_11
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We found the place clean and had a good room, huge, with two queen beds, couch, chair, etc. Morning coffee and pastries were available. The advertised WiFi connection is not actually IN all of the rooms, but available in the lobby. I found the clerks not as helpful and thoughtful as they might have been.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank jgl1
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We definitely appreciate the fact this this establshment was completely non-smoking, but it still stinks! Stale and musty, lacking any ventilation and then the dogs! There were dogs in rooms around us and we could hear them and smell them. Not to mention dodging the piles surrounding the building, right on the sidewalks!
There were black specks jumping (yes, jumping!) around the bathroom floor so I smashed an assortment of them and presented the tissue at the front desk. When I inquired about the species of the bugs an hour or two later I was told that they looked like 'ink spots' on the tissue and denied that they were even bug specks. I asked for a magnifying glass that could show the legs sticking out of the specks and they conveniently didn't have one available. The desk clerk / owner was quite rude and accusatory about me using an ink pen to make the splats on the tissue. When we returned home I sent the tissue to an entomology laboratory and the 'ink spots' were identified as fleas. Be prepared to leave your luggage outside for a few days after you leave the Cherry Tree Inn or else be prepared to flea bomb your home!
I would definitely not reccommend this place to anyone, there are so many better hotels in Billings! Leave your dogs home or take them for a flea dip before you bring them back into your own home.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple