“Not a good day at Red Robin”

Red Robin America's Gourmet Burgers and Spirits
Ranked #142 of 359 Restaurants in Billings
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We were visiting relatives in Billings, as we do twice a year. We were looking for a decent place to treat my husband's 88 year old dad for lunch. I suggested Red Robin. We hadn't gone there in Billings but were occasional customers to their restaurants in Washington, where the chain was born.

The waitress (the first of 3), started off by giving us a little card where we could go online to immediately give our feedback about their service. You would think that would be an incentive to strive for excellent service.

We placed our orders and then waited and waited for our lunch. I didn't time it exactly but it was at least a half hour for a not very busy restaurant.

We finally flagged down another waitress because the first one had disappeared. She checked on our order and said it would be out shortly. We waited another 10 minutes. A third waitress actually delivered our food and an apology for the delay. She indicated there had been some problem in the kitchen. My husband had requested no cheese on his sandwich. The waitress said she would bring a new sandwich without the cheese. My husband tried to joke with her about just what the problem was in the kitchen. She indicated it was an immigration problem.

My husband's dad went to the restroom before the food was delivered. By the time he returned to the table, his soup had cooled. He complained to the waitress and she said they would bring him a new bowl. He continued to eat the cooled soup until they brought a new bowl.

Our experience must have reached the manager because the waitress took $25 off our bill and gave us a $10 gift card.

I hope they got their immigration problem figured out and have hired legal workers by now. I don't think we'll be back.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised to find veggie burger AND gluten free bun options on the menu! Service and atmosphere were really good too.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I only get to Red Robin maybe once or twice a year, and it's always a positive experience.
Went yesterday and told our server that we had a couple of $5 coupons to use with our meal. She seemed very competent and knowledgeable, and was fully aware of the coupon. Seems like a lot of places put out coupons, then the staff doesn't know anything about them and they have to check with the manager, etc.
Food was really good!
Had the hummus plate appetizer and it was very good! I would say it's a bit much quantity for two people. We could have easily split that and another appetizer for our meal. It's perfect for 4.
The only problem we encountered was that I ordered a Whiskey River BBQ burger and it arrived with no BBQ sauce on it. Our server was quick to go grab a small cup of sauce for me.
Other than that, we had no problems and the service was great!!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our family of 5 stopped by here on our way through Billings. We often visit a Red Robin in Pittsburgh PA when we visit, so we pretty much knew what to expect. The food was very good and the unlimited fries are the best! The service was so/so and I heard another table nearby complaining about the service. It did take our waitress a while to refill drinks and see to our table. You can see most of the kitchen and there were a lot of staff just messing around back there.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had dinner here on a Friday evening and it was busy! We had about a 10 minute wait however once we were seated, we were taken care of efficiently. Food was good, but more than we could eat, seems like such a waste...

We didn't care for the process to pay the bill. Our server brought us the bill and we got up to pay for it and were told only our server could take care of this. Seems a little inefficient to me with a busy restaurant to have to wait till your server is free to pay the bill. Other than that it's a nice place to go for a quick meal.