“Great hotel!”
Review of Northern Hotel

Northern Hotel
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were looking for a hotel in Billings that would have secure parking on the 4th of July. I called the Chamber of Commerce and they recommended this hotel because they valet park the vehicles in a fenced area with a security guard present.
The hotel has been completed revamped and it was great. I've stayed in a lot of hotels. The beds are the most comfortable with impeccable bedding. They delivered a mini fridge to our room. We ate at both of their restaurants and highly recommend both. They strive to serve quality food. The pork was from Beelers in Iowa and was done beautifully. Had homemade granola the next morning at their other restaurant.
They went beyond our expectations in taking care of us. The price we paid at that time was comparable to Comfort Inn but the difference was one star compared to five stars.
We had asked for 2 beds and at the time were sold out but they had noted it. When we checked in, they had adjusted another single guest to a king size bed so they could give us two queens.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Twincity12
Northern_Hotel1902, Manager at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Twincity12 we are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We just released new menus in both Bernie’s and TEN, so we have even more to offer! Find us on Facebook so you can keep up with all the latest and greatest here at the Northern. We can’t wait to see you and your family next time so we can spoil you all over again!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have traveled a lot and this is a fine hotel with comfy bed great shower - service superb! Loved the stay and plan to return often. We arrived late handed valet key and were able to get into a super comfy bed. Nice to see a large shower rather then shallow tub shower as well

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jrs-rrs
Northern_Hotel1902, Manager at Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Jrs-rrs, thanks for your feedback! We’re happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit. Find us on Facebook to keep up with all the events and activities here at the hotel!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the newly renovated and modernized "Northern Hotel”. It was magnificent. I usually visit Billings two times or so per year and usually stay at the Crowne Plaza. I am usually there on business and then my wife joins me since this is her beautiful home town and we see our relatives. Below is my observations:

Overall: I think they did a wonderful job of remodeling the hotel. It is now a very nice, elegant, modern hotel which is on par with many decors found in Las Vegas. I will be staying here moving forward. I would most definitely recommend it.

Lobby: The lobby is nicely sized and very clean. Updated and modern. Great décor. Plenty of seating areas.

Rooms: My wife and I stayed in a king bedroom suite (with a small separate seating area) - Room 606. It was nicely sized, and since we were there for a week it was fine. I was hoping for a suite the size of the Crowne Plaza but they do not have one. We prefer two separate closets and bathrooms. But this room served nicely. The bathroom was small but nicely accommodated. My wife and I are very picky with high standards (as we usually stay at Ritz, Four Seasons, W Hotel, Etc,) and our only complaint was that she found the bed too soft and I found it just perfect. We did however agree that the showers water pressure needed to be increased.

Restaurants: We ate a both TEN and Bernie’s Diner. Both were very good with friendly staff. The bar staff at TEN was great and personable.

Valet: Friendly staff, but since there is construction they needed to park the cars some distance away. Budget about 10-15 minutes to get your car in case you are in a hurry.

Employees/Customer Service: Overall the staff was friendly and kind. I would like to point out Sherri Houston, the Sales Manager who assisted me with my trip and went out of her way. I gave the Northern Hotel a try because of her efforts! She is excellent and went the extra mile! Kudos to Sherri as she helped exemplify what the Northern is striving for. My future visits are secured at the Northern due to her efforts.

Room Tip: The suites with sitting rooms are worth the investment. The extra space really helps.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

We are so happy to hear your feedback RRLV68! We will be sure to let Sherri know how helpful she was to you. We look forward to your next visit! Find us on Facebook to keep up with all the events and activities here at the hotel, plus you can share your favorite hotel photos with us there!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

First off, this property is very nicely decorated. The whole place had a very modern/chic feel to it. The beds were VERY comfy and the rooms were super quiet. The check in/check out procedure was seemless and the front desk girls were very friendly.

Those are where the positives end.

The rooms are TINY. There are no coffee pots, bathtubs, microwaves or mini fridges in any of the rooms. We were told we could order a pot of coffee from room service for $7. They had no coffee bar in the lobby or on any of the floors. This seemed chintzy to me being as the property dubs itself a four star. I've never stayed in a THREE STAR that didn't have coffee pots at a minimum, in the rooms.

We also overheard a manager chastizing one of their staff members in front of customers in the lobby. I thought that was rather tacky as it was not done in a professional manner at all.

All in all, I'd say this is a 3 star hotel that is very nice to look at and sleep in but lacking the basic ammenities.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank onewickedb

Thank you for your feedback onewickedb. We’re sorry to hear you didn’t fully enjoy your stay with us. Our rooms are a bit cozier than most modern hotels because we chose to preserve the historic layout of the hotel during our renovations. We do offer a complimentary morning coffee bar for our guests in the lobby, so we invite you to try our signature Bernie’s blend during your next stay. We take pride in our staff and encourage you to share specific problems you encountered directly with us so we may address those issues. Please call us at 406-867-6767 and ask to speak with the hotel manager. She will be informed of the situation and expecting your call. We hope to see you back so you can fully enjoy all the Northern has to offer!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My son and I were flying ourselves back to Calgary from a spring break trip to Phoenix. Typical spring storms left us stranded in billings. At the suggestion of the local airport fbo we booked Into the northern for what ended up being a 3 night stay waiting for the weather to clear. Most comfortable beds ever and most helpful staff making a bad weather stop over very comfortable. Highly recommend the Northern.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the new Northern. The decor is great; very modern and "W Hotel" esque while also bringing in that Montana warmth and charm.

The bathroom was tiny, but nice soft towels, great robe, nice amenities, and the blow-dryer is always appreciated! It is hard for two people to share that size of bathroom. Our biggest disappointment by far was the water pressure in the shower; there was NO water pressure. For a woman with long hair trying to get it clean and rinsed properly; forget it! I felt like I could never get my hair clean the entire length of my stay! And we were there during what seemed to be a very slow weekend for the hotel; I shutter to think what the water pressure is like when the hotel is near capacity.

We were disappointed that no bottled water or mini-bar was provided in the room.

The bed was supposed to be a "King", but was much smaller length and width-wise than our King bed at home. And the bed could have been a lot firmer; it was far too soft for our taste.

The hotel lobby was nice but there was nothing going on. It would be nice to add a coffee cart where you can buy gourmet coffee, pastries, and cookies throughout the day, since the coffee at Bernie's leaves a lot to be desired. Also, this would make the lobby seem like more of a meeting place.

The staff was lukewarm at best, except for the great young man from Laurel, Montana working valet; he was always friendly and had kind words to share!

We had one breakfast at Bernie's. The sourdough pancakes were delicious but the coffee left a lot to be desired!

Above everything else, please fix the water pressure in the shower. We tried the Northern this time after always staying at the Crowne Plaza, and we want to come back again, but that was a huge detractor from this beautiful, modern new boutique hotel in the heart of Downtown Billings!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LasVegasLaura69
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I often find ourselves spending the night in Billings when we're traveling between Oregon and Ontario, so we were thrilled to discover the Northern Hotel. It's beautiful and has the most comfortable beds ever. The location and service were great and they have a shuttle between the hotel and airport. Can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple