“Food shines”
Review of Lilac

Lilac
Reserve with OpenTable
Lilac is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 355 Restaurants in Billings
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 25th. St N
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I took a date in July and had an overall terrific meal. Entrees and bottle of wine were both excellent. The ambience is very low-key and the lighting romantic. I much prefer these downtown establishments over malls or big boxes surrounded by acres of parking out on the west end of Billings. Charming place! I regret that our server was a little too casual for my taste. She knew my dining companion so she abandoned the more professional demeanor clearly used on other tables and was overly "chummy" with our table. Neither of us welcomed her chattiness on the night in question. I half expected she was going to take her break by sitting at our table and pouring herself some wine from our bottle. This was not cool. Even though she knew one of us, we were clearly on a date and wanted privacy. Nonetheless I will certainly return for the food.

1  Thank JoeYswimmer

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Have only had occasion to eat here once for a business dinner, but was very impressed with the range of flavors this rather surprising restaurant had to offer. Will definitely being going back with a more social and larger group to really explore the options. Service was quite nice, but again we were obviously in business mode and that puts up certain barriers to the overall experience.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We have dined at Lilac on several occasions and the food, service, and atmosphere have always been outstanding. During this visit, my wife and I decided to go basic and try the bacon cheeseburger and fries. I'll start off by saying there is nothing basic about Lilac's burger and fries. The burger tasted fresh and delicious (the chef later explained the burger is ground at the restaurant). The bacon on the burger is not bacon, but a wonderful surprise instead......bacon jam! That's right....jam made out of bacon, and is it ever delicious!!! The burger was out-of-this world good, and plenty big & included all the trimmings. And the fries....oh my the fries.....they are the best fries I have ever tasted anywhere. They were piled high on the plate, and the restaurant-made ranch dipping sauce was the perfect touch. When we go to Lilac, we usually try the unique, tasty, gourmet offerings. This time we went basic, and still ended up with a unique, tasty, gourmet offering. The service was outstanding - friendly and professional. The chef visited with us and almost everyone else in the restaurant. The atmosphere is fantastic! Customers visiting with each other, smiling faces everywhere. The beer and wine offerings were wonderful - a Montana made huckleberry wheat beer for me - Yum!
Lilac, once again, exceeded our expectations!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Had a great dinner at Lilac with friends. Very nice spot in downtown Billings. The food was great - I had the short ribs and gnocchi and highly recommend it. The service was very good. We couldn't have had a nicer evening or found a better place!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Everyone was telling us that Billings did not have any interesting food. We say try Lilac, we found it to be outstanding. Chef driven, local ingredients and great wine list. We ate at a couple of other restaurants and Lilac is an oasis in a desert of bland food that lacks originality. The service and food was outstanding at Lilac. If you like delicious food with original and unique preparations make sure you go here.