“A Break from the Ordinary”
Review of Lilac

Lilac
Ranked #7 of 362 Restaurants in Billings
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 25th. St N
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Lilac was recommended by our Hotel, and was in easy walking distance. We didn't have reservations, but they found us a table. The soups and salads are not included with the entree, and the menu changes weekly depending on what the Chef finds at the fresh market that week.
The food is very imaginative. My hubby had the Butternut Squash soup, I had the Warm Beet Salad with Bleu Cheese. Both were excellent. Entree's we choose where the Braised Short Ribs and Gnocchi, and the Seared Duck Breast with Plum Sauce and Pumpernickle. The portion sizes are not huge, but we were well satisfied and not over stuffed. The flavors and variations are a real treat.

2  Thank Debimlee

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We decided to try this new place along historic Montana Ave with another couple who are "foodies" like us. We made reservations which was wise since Lilac is on the small side. We first noticed the decor is "urban" which we enjoyed. The menu selection was relatively short, but with a wide variety. We ordered pork loin, chicken and lobster fettuccine - all which were excellent. The mixed green salad with fried brie and peach chunks was a great starter for me. (Note: salads are $6 - $8 extra, whereas other Billings restaurants usually price them in the meal.) The sticky toffee pudding with earl grey ice cream was a great treat for us to share as a finale. The atmosphere was conducive to lively conversation without being too loud. Our waitress was fun and engaging without being pretentious or overbearing. You can tell the chef/owner takes his food seriously.

1  Thank Rhyno22
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Myself and 2 friends were on a motorbike trip and stayed in Billings that night. Our hotel recommended Lilac, so off we went. All 3 of us are very much into good wine and good food and alway's looking for a good place to eat. One of us is a chef himself, so we could be a restaurants worse critic. In this case I can be brief. The food was outstanding. Best we had in a long time with some amazing wines. The service was great and we had a very nice evening. I think this restaurant is one of a kind and wish we had a restaurant like this in my Town. The prices are very reasonable. (I think they are actually cheap for what you get) Don't expect a huge plate with medium food and lots of fries, but a well portioned plate with lot's of flavour. If I was a local, I would eat here every weekend.

3  Thank ronsmeele
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The graham cracker ice cream dessert with blueberries and cake was so delicious ! Our group of 6 ate at the Lilac repeatedly during our 2 week stay.

3  Thank Huettl
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We decided to try this new restaurant in Billings and glad we did. It isn't a very large place, so reservations are highly advised. I had Crusted Pork Loin with creamed corn. The pork was very tender and tasty. Salad must be purchased separately and I had Caesar salad. The main dish portions were plenty but not huge, so the salad was a good accompaniment. For dessert I had Sticky Toffee Pudding and my husband had Maple Cake. Both were to die for, they were so good. The staff was friendly, attentive, and service was good.

1  Thank cathy423