“A Mixed Bag” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Kids, Families with children
Green Bay
“A Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I love Asian food. We were able to walk to this restaurant from our hotel. The menu looked great, but overall we weren't impressed. We started with the Korean tacos. While the meat inside was tasty, the hard corn shell was of the supermarket variety and tasted stale. It definitely needed some more toppings as they were small strips of meat inside the large Ortega type shells with nothing else inside. The peanut dressing on our salads was light but lacked flavor. My seafood nest entree was quite good by my husband's yellow curry with beef had little flavor or potatoes. There are probably better choices in Billings...

• Visited July 2013

Billings, Montana
“A wonderful unknown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We've been fan's of all of Chen's restaurants. They first opened in Columbus, later in Big Timber and finally in Billings about two years ago. The food has been excellent each time but the Billings restaurant (the only restaurant they run,) has never been "discovered" by most of the the city.

Tao is one of the few restaurants in Billings which serves Sushi for lunch as well as dinner and by all reports (I'm not a lover of Sushi personally,) it's excellent. My wife ordered California Rolls in addition to her noodles and says they were wonderful.

Personally, I enjoyed a HUGE plate of scallops. They had a nice "bite" and were served over fresh vegetables with rice on the side. As I enjoy an eggroll, had a side of them as well as hot and sour soup, which was included with the meal.

A nice addition to the menu is a selection of beer and wine. I enjoy dark European-style beers so skipped those, but there was a nice selection of wines and saki on the menu. Prices seemed reasonable. It's not a large selection, but I felt it was appropriate for most tastes and it appeared that all were available by the glass or by the bottle.

Tao remains our favorite Asian restaurant in Billings. It strongly deserves to be "discovered," though I truly enjoy knowing that we can show up at any time and not have to wait for a seat. The dining room was mostly empty last night but there was a constant flow of people. The view included a hillside of rabbits, prarie dogs and birds. Service was friendly and timely. Prices were mid-range for Asian and protions were large. Let the staff know what your tastes are and they'll prepare your meal to your tastes!

A finaly note--we noticed a sign that Tao now delivers. This should make it a worthwhile call for those that enjoy dining in front of the TV...

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Robert D
Fort Smith, Montana
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

will prepare anything you ask, get it the way you want, very clean nice place, family that runs it is very sweet

Visited May 2013
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
“Something for everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed eating here, although it was quite a bit different than the sharing, family style Chinese food we're used to. Each main dish comes with soup or salad, plus rice. I always appreciate Chinese food being made without MSG, so kudos for that! There are Japanese, Korean, Thai, and Chinese dishes on the menu. The decor is nice and service was great, although we were there very early and there were only a couple of other tables. The food itself was very good.

Visited June 2013
Billings, Montana
“Great Food, Slow Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have dined at Tao New Asian several times. The food is very good and I have never been disappointed with the quality or quantity of the dishes I have ordered. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to get your food once it's ordered. The servers are very efficient and friendly but the kitchen must be understaffed.

• Visited May 2013