“Enjoyed this small but insightful museum” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yellowstone County Museum

Yellowstone County Museum
Ranked #18 of 63 things to do in Billings
More attraction details
Owner description: The mission of the Yellowstone County Museum is to collect, preserve, research, and interpret the natural history and diverse cultures of the Yellowstone Valley of Montana and the Northern Plains. We share this legacy through a full range of exhibits and educational programs for the enrichment of the cultural and intellectual life of our community.We make it our priority to keep the history personal and relatable. This history belongs to everyone and we're just the storytellers here at the Yellowstone County Museum
Katy, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Enjoyed this small but insightful museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went with my parents and children (10 and 8), so I go to tour it alone and could spend the time needed to read all the information. The exhibits were very informative. My father went through with the children and had to explain a lot to them, otherwise they would not have gotten a lot out of it.

Visited July 2013

TN
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Small, but interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We liked seeing the range rider statue and some of the other things on display there. The young lady at the desk was also helpful with info regarding Billings in general. Small, but appropriate, gift shop. Free, but donations are accepted.

Visited July 2013
Maine
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Great little museum and FREE ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a great little place, it is located right at the Billings airport and it's free. It doesn't look like much because it looks so small, but once inside this quaint cabin you will see that everything is downstairs and it is wonderful. They have excellent displays and collections of over 15,000 local area artifacts. Located on the Museum grounds is American Location Company #1031, the last steam switch engine used in Billings, you can not climb on it... :( but she sure does look pretty. You can go out to the deck and see a beautiful view overlooking the city of Billings and the scenic Yellowstone River Valley. Great place to stop by...

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Patricia R
Wendell
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“more than exceeds expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My traveling companion had told me I'd like this place.... when we parked (right in front, easily) at this small log cabin I thought "quaint but cannot be much"... was I ever wrong. We were greeted by a volunteer who was very nice, and then met the curator, Chas Weldon. What a fun, friendly, dynamic, interesting guy! My companion and Chas hit it off immediately and before I knew it, we were downstairs where a much-bigger-than-I-imagined space revealed a wealth of artifacts from western and native life. If you are at all interested in that sort of thing, or if you have a cultural knowledge for the tribes of the area, you will find this museum to be very respectful, even reverent, about its displays. Chas also gave us some tips and info about another stop on our list for the trip, the Little Big Horn Battlefield. I cannot tell you what a great visit we had at this little museum. I hope to get back there!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Cynthia H
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“WOW is all I can say”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is an extremely great collection of local area and state artifacts and memoribilia. Excellent Displays and the view from the deck outside is great. Would be fun to be able to get on the locomotive though. A Must see if you are visiting the area. A great rainy day activity for locals.

Visited March 2013