“Better the second time around”

Rio Sabinas Southwestern Grill
Ranked #45 of 351 Restaurants in Billings
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Description: New; located in Shilo Crossing
Description: New; located in Shilo Crossing
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went back to Rio Sabinas, mainly because of its proximity to Shiloh 14 movie theater. Had a much better experience than on our first visit. Great guacamole, yummy ahi tostadas and fish tacos. Service was impeccable and very fast. Our young server was very nice and had a genuine smile on her face. Seating was much better, in a different area of the restaurant. I guess you can eat there without having to watch sports on TV.
Will be back.

There are newer reviews for Rio Sabinas Southwestern Grill

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had a group of 12 celebrating a birthday dinner. Very, very disappointed. Meat in beef and pork tacos was way too salty - one of our group couldn't eat hers. The sauce on the burrito was hardened on the plate when served. The meat in the flautas was hard - couldn't even bite into it. And to top it all off - BEWARE if you ask for cheese to go with the fajitas (all other mex restaurants serve it with the entre) they will charge you extra. They also charge extra for a very small container of pico de gallo - almost $2 extra!! Unfortunately, they don't bother telling you it would be an extra charge either. It feels like the owners of this restaurant want to "take" every penny they can from their customers. We will not be returning. There are plenty of other restaurants in Billings MT with with far better quality of food AND they don't charge extra for small containers of condiments.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

It's been some time since we visited Rio Sabinas. My wife, who likes nothing hotter than salt, was fearful and our previous trip, she found that Rio didn't offer an all-corn tortilla (she's gluten intolerant.) Happily, that's changed and she was able to order a pork enchilada which she actually enjoyed! The fresh jalapeno was found in the garnish, so she was able to remove it and found it mild enough for her rather limited palate.

I had the Yellowstone burito in a braised beef. It was nearly the size of a football and extremely tasty. It had a mild bite and with a bit of additional hot sauce, was quite enjoyable.

Sadly, they've replaced their mango-habenero salsa with a pineapple-habenero salsa. The waitress was sure we were mistaken when we requested the mango and apparently the kitchen also is new enough that they don't remember it. The pineapple was actually very good and had an appropriate bite--in addition, they didn't charge for the pineapple. We feel certain that this was a way to cut some cost and it's acceptable.

We didn't see many other areas where the quality had changed and the huge portions certainly haven't. Service was very good, food was hot, tasty and huge portions. One oddity--a bottle of Negra Modelo was actually less expensive than a pint draw of Bozone Amber. Not a complaint, just very unusual to see a draw of a local ale cost more than a bottle of an import. Perhaps it was a happy hour special or perhaps just unusual pricing. Either way, prices were reasonable. Two meals, two beers, chips & salsa. $31. We left happy.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had dinner here on a busy Friday night. Sat in restaurant area and could hear music from the bar at reasonabe levels. Menu has all the southwestern classics, and food arrived quickly with good service. Our waiter checked back several times-- and really wanted to be helpful. Happy hour is until 20h00 (i think), and they have good deals on drinks. The restaurant area was noticably less crowded already by 20h00. Good quality food-- and nice presentations. Medium price level for Billings.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

As the title implies, I really like the Prickly Pear margaritas and the Chihuahua Chicken! My boyfriend and I both really love eating in the bar. Yes, we both love sports, and I really like the all-year-round Christmas lights hanging around the room. I've never eaten in the dining room, so I can't comment on that atmosphere. My brother says he really likes Rio Sabinas and my niece says she likes making tortillas there with candy in them (I've not watched this process myself). The only things I've been disappointed in are the "skinny" margaritas (all I could taste was the alcohol), and the guacamole/sour cream? mixture that they bring you along with the chips and salsa when you sit down. It doesn't have enough flavor and I keep eating it expecting to get something more and never do (the definition of insanity, I know). It's true that ownership is the same as Rib & Chop House, so you have to watch out for the strength of the margaritas- they add Everclear to at least some of them. Now I've got myself primed for my next trip there!