“Not up to it's usual standards”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Billings, MT
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Billings
Montana
“Not up to it's usual standards”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 5 years and have always found it a great place to stay, but this time I was disappointed. I checked into my room about 9pm on a Friday night and when I got to my non-smoking room it reeked of stale smoke. It was disgusting! I called the front desk to change rooms and was told there was nothing else available. The ont desk gal didn't offer any real apology - her only offer was a bottle of Febreeze. To say that I was surprised is an understatement. I got the Febreeze, doused the room, and then had to sleep with the window open all night. We ended up leaving the window open all the next day and the next night as well. Thank God it was unseasonable warm and we didn't freeze!

So, now that I got the bad out of the way, on to the good. As always, the room was large, the bed very comfortable, the bedding high quality, the room quiet, the breakfast was plentiful and tastey, and the majority of the staff were very friendly.

All in all it is a great place to stay with a location right next to the Metra, and close to the interstate exit, and a good variety of shopping and eating close by.

Room Tip: I usually ask for a room on the top floor away from the elevator and ice/vening machine to ensure a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MTRodeoMom
CISBillingsMT, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Billings, MT, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
MTRodeoMom ~ Thank you for writing a review! I'm sorry we were not up to our usual standards. Please contact me directly at 406-245-9995 as I will correct this right away for you. Michelle Breitwiser, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in other cities and have always been pleased. My experience at other locations allowed me to stay in a one bedroom suite with separate living/dining and bedroom areas. This room was not like that, however it was very spacious. When I entered the room, the heat was on and I felt like was about to burst into flames! I immediately changed the temperature to a cooler level. When I went to the front desk, I asked the employee if there was a rotating fan available. I was told that I could open the window if I so chose! That was great for me, because I need it cool at night to sleep.
The breakfast spread in the morning was generous with a variety of offerings. I had the biscuits and gravy. The biscuits were a little hard, otherwise delicious.
Dining and shopping were very close, and the airport was only a $10 taxi ride away. This hotel allowed guests to leave their cars in the parking lot while they went on a flight. Very convenient and no extra expense!
I would say the only negative I could find with this location is that instead of having an employee stand at the front desk, they have a "doorbell" for guests to press to contact the employee on duty.
Otherwise, this place is fabulous and I will return when I am in the area!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank saddle65
Saddle65 ~ Thank you for such a GREAT review! Our employees really do try to do a good job servicing our guests and appreciate when people are pleased with our efforts. Please comeback soon. Michelle Breitwiser, GM
Cody, Wyoming
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here for one night. It was very close to Billings airport. That's why we stayed here, we had a very early flight out. Hotel was clean and quiet. Room was large. Did not have time in the morning to enjoy breakfast, though.
Quick 5 minute drive to airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ron P
RonP~ Your review was wonderful to hear thank you for the feedback. Hope to see you really soon! Michelle Breitwiser, GM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in April 2013. We were attending a family wedding in the area. Generally the hotel was ok but there are a few areas of improvement.
We requested a room on the top floor at the back of the hotel in advance but was given a room on the first floor above reception. Consequently it was sometimes noisy.
Our room was not cleaned one day despite us having the clean sign on the door. When we returned to the room in the evening, we queried this with the lady on reception and was told that we must have had the privacy sign showing. I consider this to be quite rude. Whatever happened to the customer being right? There was no apology but she did bring up some new towels as the cleaning staff had left for the day. In fairness, when we did see the lady who cleaned our room the next day, she did apologise but the attitude of the lady on reception was poor to say the least.
We often times used the onsite gym and was disappointed to see that in the 7 nights we were there, no one saw fit to vacuum the place. The same rubbish was on the floor the whole time.
On a positive note, the hotel is conveniently situated and the breakfasts were good.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank C J
CJ ~ As we discussed on the phone, I appreciated your feedback and thank you for letting me make it right for you. See you soon! Michelle Breitwiser, GM
Columbia Falls, Montana
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I brought one of our grandsons to Billings last May for the PBR. We stayed with you folks and had a wonderful experience. This year we brought our other grandson to the PBR and knew that we wanted to stay with you again. You are so close to the Metra which makes it very convenient for us. Thanks again for a great stay.

Room Tip: We had a very quiet stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Smpquishey~ Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review that made my staffs day. Nice when we hear the good stuff we do! Michelle Breitwiser, GM
Ronks
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is an extremely friendly and helpful hotel. The breakfast was terrific and it is located right across from the RimRock Arena. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were nice and clean. This is my second stay there and I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
CISBillingsMT, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Billings, MT, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
StephaniePray~ Thank you for such an awesome review! Michelle Breitwiser,GM
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Even better than you see or read about. The staff especially Ashley, Susan and Dani were wonderful. We stayed for 6 days and whenever we return to Billings this will definetly be the place we stay. Very nice breakfast, very clean hotel and rooms. My whole family was extremely happy with our stay.

Room Tip: If traveling with kids would definetly stay in the 1 room family suite to give yourselves and the ki...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Birdfeeder ~ I could have asked for a better title than "Absolutely wonderful stay"! Thanks for sharing. We love guests like you. Michelle Breitwiser, GM