“Amazing Western Experience for Tourists & Locals”

Bitter Creek Outfitters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bitter Creek Outfitters is a family-operated business providing scenic, guided horseback trail rides 5 miles from downtown Billings, Montana. We'll treat you to a leisurely trek through our Angus cattle ranch - atop the area's distinctive rimrocks. We'll show you spectacular views of five different mountain ranges and a unique perspective of the city. We keep our group sizes small (max 6 people) promising a personalized, unforgettable experience for beginners & advanced riders alike! AGE, HEIGHT/WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS APPLY. PLEASE SEE WEBSITE FOR DETAILS. We are a full-time ranch, part-time trail riding outfit so advanced reservations are required. We do not keep our horses saddled in the corral & ready to go! Season runs late April thru October, weather permitting. Rides typically start at 8 or 9am, 7 days/week, and we avoid afternoon rides during peak summer heat but we can be flexible with your travel plans. Let us know what works best & we'll do our best to fit you in!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Washington DC, District of Columbia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Amazing Western Experience for Tourists & Locals”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Highlight of the trip for our daughter! I booked a two hour ride for my mom, myself and my daughter (aged 13) and we had an incredible experience.

Overall. Great! Highly recommend for tourists AND locals. Theresa, the guide and proprietor, was an experienced rider and was very good at helping my daughter (an entirely new rider) feel comfortable. I’m sure there are a few trail options, but the two hour tour that we took went right along rims looking over Pictograph Caves. At one point, we got off to look over the rims, rest, take photos, etc. We got to feed the horses little pellet treats after the ride. The little cabin outside the corral was quaint and felt authentically western. The whole thing was very memorable.

Price. I thought it was a fair deal for what we received – a great morning and lots of priceless memories.

Safety. I thought precautions were prudent and adequate. Kids under a certain age must were a helmet and adults could wear them or waive the option. (I wore a helmet.) There were a few disclosures to review and sign before we got on the horses. Theresa gave us a short lesson in how to direct the horses while we were inside of the corral before we got on the horses.

Administration. Quick and easy. Theresa was responsive with my questions prior to booking and quickly sent an electronic PayPal invoice once I was ready to book. She was on time to meet us on the day of the appointment.

Recommendations to future guests. 1) Unless you are an active horse rider, I wouldn’t recommend more than two hours of riding. It’s physically uncomfortable at about the two hour mark because your body isn’t accustomed to being in that position – regardless of how physically fit you are. 2) Riding early in the morning was beautiful – that’s when we went. On that route I can imagine it would get incredibly hot by mid-day however. 3) Wear bug spray & sun screen.

Visited August 2012
10 Thank DCPressurecooker

kansas city
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“excellent”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

best place to ride horses, excellent views,staff is great, prices great, you will really enjoy this ride

Visited July 2012
2 Thank mattoolkc
Kingston, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Must For Billings, MT Visitors!”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I've ridden two summers (July 2011 and 2012) with Theresa at Bitter Creek Outfitters in Billings. A fantastic and fun trail ride with experienced and safe horses (I'm partial to my boys, Smokey and Mickey)! Theresa is an extremely friendly and knowledgeable guide. I had two completely different trail rides, both with amazing views. I love the small, family ranch feel they have compared to a massive tourist dude ranch. It's truly a hidden gem on the outskirts of Billings that many residents don't even know about! Definitely looking forward to my trail ride next summer, thanks Theresa!

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Ashley Z
Shelby Township, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome horseback ride!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Bitter Creek Outfitters took our family of five on an amazing horseback ride. We have never ridden horses before and this was a great experience. Our children really liked our guide, Theresa. She was great with our young girls and let our youngest ride back with her. The horses were sprayed down before we got on them. We rode up to Pictograph state park and the view was amazing! We had a chance to stop and take pictures too. If you are heading to Billings, this is something great for the family. For us it was more than a horseback ride! Thanks Bitter Creek Outfitters for a memory that will last a lifetime!!!

Visited June 2012