“Love the food, it's worth the poor service”

Athenian Greek Restaurant
Ranked #99 of 355 Restaurants in Billings
Cuisines: Greek
Description: business phone 406-248-5681 owner NICK RENTZIOS
Description: business phone 406-248-5681 owner NICK RENTZIOS
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Ok, so I have decided that, when eating at this restaurant, one must pretend they are actually in Europe, because that is the speed of service and attentiveness you are going to get. Allow at least 1-1 1/2 hours for a meal. If you don't, you're just going to get angry and it will spoil the mood. It is not ENTIRELY the wait staff's fault. There is often only one person serving the entire restaurant. Poor planning is part of it. Although one should know how to pronounce the name of wines that they are selling.
That being said - I love the food here. The poor service cannot keep me away. The calamari is excellent - light breading and great sauce. The dolmades are ok, if slightly bland. I've had better and worse. I am a HUGE fan of the gyros. I usually order mine with tzatziki and feta. I also like to just go in and order a bottle of red wine, along with sides of olives, gyro meat, feta and do the tapas thing. It's easy to lose track of time sitting by the big window, people-watching and enjoying someone's company while munching on the delicious finger food. The light seasoning on the feta is wonderful!
My biggest complaint is the wine menu. It is small, as in less that 7 options, but that is not the complaint. There have been wines listed (the Demesticas, and others) on the menu for a long time that I haven't been able to order in years because they actually don't stock them anymore. I never start out by ordering wine, I start by asking which ones they actually have. The Cote du Rhone they carry is very tasty, though, and is my current go-to wine.
In summary, don't go here if you are in a hurry. Or call and order it as take-out about 1/2 hour in advance. If you like the European speed and style of dining, you will probably enjoy this.

1  Thank MissKitty26

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This place is always spot on, authentic and flavorful. When I have a craving for a Gyro, they always satisfy that craving!!!

1  Thank Iris V
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have been eating here for years! It is the only Greek restaurant in this area but they do make the best gyros ever. We won't even try any other items on the menu because the gyros are the best!

1  Thank QponQueen
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Athenian has everything you could ask for, great food at an excellent value, great atmosphere and wonderful staff. The service is always quick and orders are always so quick and well prepared. A nice restaurant started by locals and for me a family tradition now. The Gyros here are to die for.

1  Thank Toadswaggle
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I love Greek food! And the Athenian doesn't disappoint. It can be busy at times, but if you miss the rush you are in for a treat!

1  Thank Mindy V