“They have me for life....”

Go Native America Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 5 Tours in Billings
More attraction details
Owner description: Why are Go Native America tours the best trips in Indian Country? We have been touring and exploring the Great Plains and the Southwest with our guests since 1995. We know our stuff, all our guides are all-indigenous and we help you experience things you couldn't do for yourself.Our Native American tours are highly personalized and there is an exciting atmosphere on each and every tour.We are the best because we get how it feels to come into Native American Indian Country for the first time and we're going to make sure your tour is unique and memorable - full of amazing experiences and all in line with tribal etiquette.You can join our native guides for day tours at sacred sites, cultural places and historical venues in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, or join 7-14 day escorted tours throughout the West, Alaska, Hawaii and we specialize in wolf and grizzly watching in the Greater Yellowstone region. We also run horseback rides on the Little Bighorn Battlefield and trips to Indian Reservations too.
Kingston, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“They have me for life....”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I don't normally feel any loyalty to a travel company...but that is all changed now. Sarah is one of the most caring people I have ever come across. Her knowledge and planning capabilities are fantastic. The guides chosen were above outstanding. I travelled in the Lakota LIfeways and Pow Wow trip and had the experience of a lifetime. Always willing to accomodate ...it was as much educational as it was a rewarding holiday experience.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Kevin K

NSW, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Didn't take tour, haven't received agreed refund”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I booked my Lakota Lifeways and Pow Wow trip with Sarah via phone from Australia back in May 2013. I had a lot of trouble reaching her both by e-mail and phone during this process. At one time not even being able to leave a message on the phone because the message bank was full.

On the 23rd of September, less then a week before the tour was set to begin, I received an e-mail, when I was already in America, stating that there had been a miscommunication and my flights, that I had confirmed dates with also via phone from Australia and in writing with my final payment in July, were actually on the wrong dates and would not meet up with the tour I had booked. She said she had been trying to reach me by phone, but had been using the Australian calling codes in front when I was already in the United States so had been getting no connection.

Sarah said I could change my flights to the new dates or be shown around other places in Native American territory, but it was not going to fit in with the rest of my vacation itinerary so I declined and my lawyer asked for a partial refund, as the dates had changed since I booked the tour and I had not been advised, nor had I received any itinerary or pack as stated on the website.

My lawyer reached out to Sarah on the 24th of September asking for negotiation, Sarah asked for us to accept a partial refund of $2295 and could we please decide ASAP so that the cheque could be sent the next morning to the law office in Washington DC before she started another tour.

On the 26th of September my lawyer agreed to this refund and gave the address and instructions for postage of the cheque.

Unfortunately it is now the 18th of November and I have still not seen my cheque. My lawyer has been e-mailing and phoning since the 26th and received no word either.

I am now extremely out of pocket and disillusioned with the honesty and ethics of the company.
This has been a very disappointing experience.

Visited September 2013
7 Thank Snow1685
GoNativeAmerica47, Manager at Go Native America Day Tours, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Rarely does someone back out of a tour they have booked with Go Native America, and on the very few occasions it has occurred the reason was illness and Go Native America has rearranged the trip for that client. GNA offered this person an alternative trip for the SAME dates she had wrongly booked, which WOULD have fitted in with the rest of her vacation itinerary, but she declined.

So clearly this was something very different, and if you simply change your personal plans and post them publicly on the Internet, should you expect a niche tour company to run a tour below their required minimum numbers at the very last minute, refund your money, and risk the quality of every other tour member’s trip because of your change in status?

Additionally, records clearly show that all tour members received the information about the date change (which was to accommodate a powwow visit) months before departure. All other tour members booked the right dates, but this person booked her flights before checking dates with GNA (admitted by email – records held in the office).

GNA terms and conditions clearly state payment and refund terms; very fair to all parties, but no company could be expected to allow last minute drop-outs while sustaining prices and quality for all clients, which is why terms also require everyone to have sufficient travel insurance to cover themselves for any illness/change of plans. Paperwork received by GNA indicates that this client also tried to get her insurance company to pay out for her cancellation as well as trying to get a refund from Go Native America. They declined to pay out for her change of plans, and GNA did too once the actual situation was ascertained.

It is highly unusual for a first communication regarding a cancellation to come from a lawyer; people don't choose to incur attorney fees for something they can easily handle themselves with a personal phone call to discuss a situation. But perhaps if you need to crack a walnut with a sledgehammer?

Go Native America was equally disappointed in this situation, but with the facts in mind, cannot consider the company ethics or honesty to be in question here. As always all records are retained.

Note: In the summer communications can be hard. Go Native America personnel are on the road in out of the way places and Indian reservations that may have very limited phone/internet service. All our tour members are forewarned of this and the vast majority are understanding.
Canberra, Australia
13 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

In July 2013 my husband and I took a tour of the Northern Cheyenne Reservation which coincided with a Pow Wow. We had a wonderful time. We thank Sarah for all the information she gave us about the tribe, it's history, and the present day reality. The music and dancing at the Pow Wow were a highlight of our tour to the USA from Australia. Christine C.

1 Thank Christine C
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best ever Tour Company, one word to describe our tour "Outstanding"”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We would first like to thank our tour organiser Sarah for putting together a fantastic tour for us, we visited the US from Australia in July 2013. We first contacted this tour company because my husbands interest in finding out more about the battle called "Custer Last Stand", and the battles that led to this victory for the Native American Indians. Sarah organised a fantastic 4 day itinerary for us in chronological order which made understanding the history of this battle extremely interesting for us especially to me who new very little about Native American history. We are still talking about how well this trip was organised, we were amazed on how much time you spent ensuring that we had the very best holiday that we ever had. Sarah you are the very best, and we cannot thank you enough for this wonderful experience that your company gave us. We now want to come back and experience other tours with Go Native America. The other person who made this tour exceptional was Raine our tour guide, who's knowledge was amazing, we were both enthralled with his narrative of all the events that took place, we think of him has an educator rather than a tour guide, his telling of history from the Cheyanne perspective, was informative and interesting, we have never met such a tour guide, who could relate so much history, and make it so intriguing, we could not believe how he made events come alive, we enjoyed every minute. John learnt so much,and he is still talking about the trip, and would love to do it all over again,. We would highly recommend this tour company, however once you experience a Go Native America tour, you will never be satisfied with another tour company.You cannot compare this company with any other, they are unique.
Janet & John Rundle
New South Wales Australia

3 Thank Janet R
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“This was the way to go”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was definitely the way to go. I actually wanted to experience what it is really like on a reservation because I have this crazy (maybe?) idea of volunteering somewhere for a year, but need to know what to expect before I do. Obviously it mattered to me to work with an ethical tour company. I needed people that had true relationships with Native tribes and who could offer me the chance to meet Native people and trade fair with tribes themselves.
We went to Pine Ridge rez with guides who shared knowledge with the group and helped me to understand why things stand as they do. We met some great people along the way. Our trip went off the map - places I sure didn't know were important to the Lakota culture and we also visited home galleries, schools, trading posts and a powwow too which was a huge bonus because I didn’t know we were going before we arrived.
I had a single room in great hotels (no extra dollars either) and my trip was a huge success. I still plan to volunteer, but I think I may try a couple of Go Native trips in different places now I have a better idea of what I'll be facing and how I can help better when I do.

2 Thank Randy1Shoo