“Great food, terrible service.”

Montana's Rib and Chop House
Ranked #4 of 342 Restaurants in Billings
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA
“Great food, terrible service.”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

My mom and I decided on this place for dinner because I had been there before, three years ago and I thought it was great. The service then was impeccable. Tonight, however, it was awful. All of the other tables our waiter had received way more attention than we did. It took our waiter 25 minutes to come back to pick up our check and another 10 minutes for him to bring it back. I always tip at least 20% but tonight I only tipped 6%.

The food, however, was a different story. My steak was cooked perfectly. The baked potato was huge and tasty. Everything about our experience at this restaurant was great except our waiter.

Billings, Montana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Going Downhill Fast!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just got home from the Rib and Chop house. We have been going there (off and on) since we moved to Montana 4 years ago. The service and the food has always been great, until our last few visits.

Our exchange student and I ordered the buffalo ribeye this evening. After a reasonable amount of time our food came out. Except, they only brought one buffalo ribeye and one regular ribeye. When I told the waiter that we had ordered two buffalo ribeyes (he was just the delivery person, a female took our order and was "waiting" on us), he said that he must have brought the wrong one and would go get ours. He never came back. Our female server came back after about seven minutes and I asked her about my steak. She said that someone else must have taken mine and they were making a new one for me.

After waiting 25 minutes and watching my family complete their meals, my steak finally came. The steak was good (although it was $50, when I thought the waitress said it would be $39). My family then watched me eat my steak while they sat and waited for me.

When the bill came (an hour and half after we had entered), we were charged full price for all of our meals. This must be par for them now because apparently they didn't think a thing about us eating as a family. I also had a neighbor tell me of a similar experience about a month ago when he took his family out for his daughter's birthday. I was astonished that we were charged full price and said to our server that I was surprised they had not discounted our meal since we did not get to eat as a family (One of the reasons we go out to eat as a family). She seemed surprised that I would say something but said she would go check with the manager to see what they could do. She came back and stated that they could not discount the meal, but that they would take one glass of wine off of our bill.

When we first started going to Rib and Chop there was a manager that walked around and checked how everything was. I think his name was Casey. He is now at Rio Sabinas (owned by the same people) and is still checking how everyone is doing with their meals. They need to get him back to train a manager at Rib and Chop before it is ran into the ground.

Visited October 2012
Billings, Montana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Restuarant with good food.”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Montana Rib and Cop House has good food with good personable employees. Their steaks are very good but a bit pricey.

Visited September 2012
“Never Disappointed”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have been here so many times. The steaks and everything else is always done to order!! Wait staff is great. Bar staff is fun and pay attention to you. A must stop.

Visited September 2012
Wimberley, Texas
“What a circus!!!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

First of all, our server, Austin was attentive and helpful but the support staff drove us crazy bringing food out of order - or not at all. It was very busy when we arrived so we were not surprised that our appetizers were slow but it was a surprise when salads started coming before the appetizers. We sent them back and enjoyed our appetizers and wine. Salads came out except the ceasar. It arrived not 2 minutes later - after the entrees. Our server tried politely to stop the runners but they persisted then forgot one of our sides. It arrived in time for dessert. The service was so bizarre that we were laughing by the end of the meal.
The calimari and fried green tomatoes were yummy, the ribeye was amazing, the tuna cooked nicely but the grilled halibut was dry and very ordinary - it is a steak and chop house - not a seafood restaurant! It will be a long time before I come here again when I know I can get food as good as this without the circus,

• Visited September 2012