“Not Impressed For The Price. Very disappointed with my first experience of Marina Cay”

Marina Cay Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bigfork
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I staying two nights. Upon arrival for check-in I was booked into a room with one bed after I had reserved a room with two queen beds. Not such a big deal and could obviously forgive that the desk clerk had made an honest mistake. The room with the one queen bed was beautiful and I almost wished I could have stayed in that room. Upon entering my new room which I reserved the sight was not so pleasant. The carpet in the room was filthy and stained. The room smelled of must or possibly cigarette smoke, the wooden blinds on both windows were filthy with at least 3 inches of dust, there was garbage under the beds from the previous guest, no directory to anything that the resort offers in the room, sheets are thin and worn, beds are hard and the springs are squeaky and old, the pillows are flat and very uncomfortable, the shower head sprays all over the bathroom, and today when the housekeeping staff entered the room they gave me fresh towels, somewhat made the beds but did not empty the trash cans, provide new coffee, or do any other cleaning up what so ever. The property truly is beautiful and I wish that I had better things to say about my room because i have heard raves about Marina Cay and was very excited to finally stay but at this point I'm really just anxious to get checked out of here in the morning. I'm extremely disappointed that I spent the amount of money I spent on a room like this when I could have easily stayed somewhere else in the area for the same price or probably better and had a much nicer room. I stayed in room 137 in the courtyard.

Andrea Graves
Missoula, MT

Room Tip: Don't stay in 137 in the court yard
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Andrea G
There are newer reviews for Marina Cay Resort and Conference Center

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time my wife and I stayed at Marina Cay and if I have a chance to go to Big Fork again I am sure we will stay here again. The service is very good and the rooms are always immaculate. Last time we stayed here we stayed on the ground floor of the waterfront building and this year we stayed on the second floor of the same building. I would recommend the ground floor if you can get it because you walk right out of your room onto a beautifully kept lawn. On the second floor we had a nice balcony.

This truly is a beautiful place to stay with tons of fun things to do right here.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed only one night and have done so for years. The grandkids loved the paddle boards, and we all loved the view. The price was right for this time of year. This area is very expensive and our courtyard room was so affordable and met all of our needs. The hot tub was near our room, flowers everywhere, and a great breakfast for a very reasonable price. We went to a play at the Big Fork theatre and as always it was great. We ate at the Show Thyme restaurant and it is an amazing place to eat, gourmet food at a reasonable price. This area of Montana is so beautiful, love Flathead Lake, Glacier Park, and Big Fork is like a small version of Carmel, Ca., but just as beautiful and so much less expensive. Great place to stay with a wide variety of room choices.

Room Tip: condos on the water are worth the expense, courtyard rooms less expensive but totally adequate, but...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank planetearthtour
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here only one night, but would have liked to have stayed longer. We had a huge room with a king bed, full kitchen, cow hide rug, and furnished patio overlooking the water. The room was very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. There was a pool and hot tub. Boats, canoes, paddle boats were all available for rent. There was a Tiki bar, lounge, restaurant, and slot casino on premises. We enjoyed our stay and would love to return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank yodab
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Met old friends for reunion. Signed up last, so had to splurge on large 2 bd room condo. Very new and nicely appointed. View of flathead lake Unit #19-perfect! Nice granite countertops, nice appliances, fireplace, living room, dining area, guest powder grill and washer/dryer! Town of big fork is lovely but don't miss...the short drive to Glacier National Park! Awesome! Boat ride on flathead lake is beautiful too. I agree Montana is LBP..
Last Best Place!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed in the Courtyard building in Rm 135 . First off, the smell when you walked in was a musty basement smell. Carpets were very dirty and fraying in spots. The TV in the bedroom was from 1989 and did not work at all (decoration I guess). The TV in the living area was a 19" 1995 TV with a built-in DVD player that also did not work. My husband developed allergies he never knew he had while being in the room. My son got sick during the stay and we had to strip the bed. Even though the maid came in to clean the room the next day, new sheets were never put back on the bed. They just threw the blanket and bedspread back on.

I believe these are all privately owned condos, and if that is the case Marina Cay needs to hold owners to a certain standard.

The only good thing I will say about the resort is the staff at the Tiki bar was very accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: Make sure you request to see the room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I shared unit B105 with my fiancé for three nights. First, the positives:

- The setting is quite beautiful. The marina itself is very calming, and the grounds are carefully decorated with beautiful flowers. We spent quite a bit of time on the lawn.

- Despite some other reviews here, I actually found the staff quite friendly. They were also helpful, particularly as it related to helping us find things to do in town.

- There is plenty of parking, and all of it is quite close to the units; no long walks necessary.

- The rooms are spacious and definitely provide plenty of room to spread out.

However, here are a few thoughts to consider when deciding whether to go to the Marina Cay.

- Housekeeping is not a standard service for many of the units. Note: I am not kidding. We literally had the same towels and sheets during our fourth day that we did on the first. We paid $1100 for three nights. Let that sink in for a moment.

- I agree with the other reviews that complain about maintenance. Example: our entry-mat sat in a recessed area in the sidewalk that was always saturated in water, condensation from the window unit air conditioner above it; disgusting and probably unhealthy. Example: the cord used to pull the blinds in the living room was broken. Example: there were crumbs on the nightstand in one room and significant dust in one bedroom; we spent the first 20 minutes or so cleaning, using the paper towels from the kitchen. Example: there was no iron / ironing board in our unit, and when we had one brought, the ironing board cover had a burned spot in the center that rubbed off on the first t-shirt I ironed. Example: while the rooms do come with small vials of shampoo (that are not renewed), they do not come with conditioner or any of a variety of other necessities that you typically see from resorts like the Marina Cay. Example: when I called to complain about the large, black stain in the middle of the living room floor, I was told that they did not own the units – they only managed them – and that the owner would have to address that problem. Huh?

- The staff, while friendly, seems busy and not empowered with much flexibility. Example: we realized that our flight left at 4pm, so we asked for a later checkout than the 11am deadline. We were told flatly no. In around 500 stays in hotels, I have probably asked for a late checkout allowance 50 times and have been told “no” twice. This was one of them.

After returning from my vacation, I called to speak with the manager, reflecting my experiences and asking for an adjustment to my bill, particularly after realizing that other units had housekeeping service. She said that she understood my concerns and would bring it up at their “meeting.” She explained that they were under new management and that they were working out some transitional difficulties. This conversation happened over a month ago and I have not heard back. Not surprisingly, my bill has not been adjusted.

I personally will not return to Marina Cay, and I would be surprised to find out that many of their guests are repeats. However, if you do, my advice is to require them to put you in one of the newer, more remodeled units and guarantee that housekeeping is a standard service.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Russell T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bigfork
Best Western Plus Flathead Lake Inn and Suites
#5 of 9 in Bigfork
Islander Inn
Islander Inn
#4 of 9 in Bigfork

Been to Marina Cay Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!