“The best holiday of my life!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Big Timber
Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch
You added Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch to your Saves list
The Carroccia Family, 460 Rein Lane, Big Timber, MT MT 59011   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Big Timber
Montreal, Canada
“The best holiday of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This truly was the most fantastic holiday of my life! I wish i'd come sooner and I know i'll be back next year!
From the start I knew I was going to enjoy it before I got there, all my life i've wanted a horse of my own so to be given one for a week was like a dream come true. What I wasn't expecting was to absolutely love Sweet Grass. The ranch is in a stunning valley in the middle of nowhere and it would have to be one of the most beautiful places i've ever been.
This is not a 'Luxury 5 star' ranch where you sit around and get waited on, it's a working ranch that caters for guests. I stayed upstairs in the ranch house and shared a bathroom. The bed was comfy and to tell you the truth I hardly was at the ranch because I was out riding all day (which is why you are there), I was more than happy to flop into bed at the end of the day. The food is amazing and I loved sitting down with everyone, it felt like a big family.
My Horse was fantastic and we were matched perfectly. They even match a saddle to you. You can change both if you're not happy but I didn't need to.
The Wranglers are great, I rode with Laura most of the time and she was fantastic! Talk to your wrangler about horses or anything at all, they are really friendly!
I was lucky enough to muster cattle with Rocco and that was one of the best days! It was a long day in the saddle but well worth it, I felt like a real cowgirl!
Get up early and do a sunrise ride I promise you won't be disappointed!
I also loved barrel racing and riding bareback! Ask the wranglers and they can accommodate all of your riding needs. If you have any concerns they are really approachable and happy to help.

I would recommend Sweet Grass to anyone wanting a rustic/comfortable ranch experience. You come here to ride not sit around the ranch and be waited on. I barely sat still the whole time and I didn't have time to do anything around the ranch like go in the hot tub or play on the pool table I was literally out riding the whole time.

I loved it so much and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The main house is great if you are a solo traveller like I was, you have instant friends upstairs...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank AJ_Traveller2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just got back from Sweet Grass Ranch, really didn't want to come home!!
The family and staff are very friendly and helpful. The food was homemade and very tasty.
The horses are lovely. Every evening we were asked what we would like to do the next day, and they managed to accommodate everyone including experience riders and those not so experienced. The ranch is kept clean and tidy.
The scenery is stunning. I enjoyed relaxing in the hot tub with a glass of wine after a long day in the saddle soothing my aching muscles, overlooking the mountains.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Gg2uk
Clifton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The setting is breathtaking. The accommodations rustic, clean and lovely. Food is excellent. However, the wranglers are not interested in working with guests if they are not repeat customers, friends of the ranch, or pretty young girls. Experienced riders who do not fall into one of these categories will find themselves unheard and ignored. If you go with good company, you will enjoy yourself. But if you come for the riding, don't have a connection, and expect first class treatment, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
12 Thank Eileen N
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Perfect in every way. Weather, staff, food, cabins, and horse were just outstanding. Family who runs it make it a very special place. We're so glad we got a chance to experience it. Best vacation ever!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jrodrigez
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I have felt let down by Trip Advisor. We spent a week on this ranch and it was not as expected. I had researched and thought I had made a good choice. Granted we visited the first week of the 2013 season and they were short staffed. As a first impression the ranch looks untidy and badly maintained albeit it is in a beautiful setting. Our cabin was very disappointing, it was cold, not in the least cosy and very hard to heat, not in keeping with the standard of other ranches I have been on in a similar price range. The food was very good but there was nothing to tell you what was on the menu nor an choice if it was not to your taste. There was no access to daytime tea or coffee. The horses are excellent and there are plenty to choose from and they were very fresh at the beginning of the season. There does not seem to be any head wrangler so no saddle fittings and the standard of riders was extremely varied so experienced riders were disadvantaged but having to mainly walk for inexperienced riders.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Smt_RT
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I first found Sweet Grass when I was looking for an authentic ranch experience. I've now been a guest for more than 20 summers. It's like having you own summer place but without the winter hassle. The people are great (Carrocias, guests and staff alike), the horses well trained, the scenery gorgeous and the food plentiful (and delicious). Now matter what else I do, my year doesn't seem complete without a trip to Sweet Grass.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank Mary M
Woodinville WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My husband and I have been going to the Sweet Grass Ranch for four years; we book our stay for the following year before we reluctantly leave each summer. The Sweet Grass natural environment is goregous and the daily horse ride options provide numerous ways to experience the wonderful clean air and mountain vegetation in the company of lively wranglers. And for those who don't feel like riding there are many other enjoyable ways to spend their days. Three generations of the thoughtful and interesting Carroccia family are available on site to ensure that every guest's stay is memorable. I hope you decide to visit Sweet Grass Ranch!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Lone Mountain Ranch
Lone Mountain Ranch
#3 of 25 in Big Sky
5.0 of 5 stars 132 reviews

Been to Sweet Grass (Dude) Ranch? Share your experiences!