“Nice staff, dissappointing rooms”
Review of Huntley Lodge

Huntley Lodge
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Big Sky
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Overall, the Huntley has some nice positives, but also some strong negatives. It's clear that the majority of the staff make efforts to enhance the guest experience at the Huntley. Almost everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful: bellboys, convention center employees, cafeteria and Chet's Bar staff, health club staff, and other facility employees. The included breakfast, with its huge selection and great staff, and the three hot tubs were the highlights of our stay. Don't sit near the windows of the cafeteria when it's cold out. The Huntley's location near the Express Chair and easy walking distance to the Ram Charger and Swift Current lifts also win it points. Other reviews have expressed concerns over cleanliness, but our room was clean. Make sure to catch the Crazy Austrians who perform in Chet's Bar almost every day. Infectious fun, lots of audience participation, really nice guys.

On the down side, the Huntley facility was seemingly built without the benefit of interior or exterior insulation. As other reviews have noted, the walls are paper-thin and noise was a constant problem. Try for a room on the third floor to avoid having overhead guests make your resting times miserable. Even normal walking overhead pounds and squeaks the floorboards enough to keep you awake and wondering if the ceiling is coming down. Other members in our group experienced frequent lack of hot water for showers and arctic blasts of air from the leaky windows, requiring them to hang a spare comforter in front of the window using duct tape. Beds were average. There's also a serious lack of storage space in the rooms. With two of us in one room for a week of skiing, we could have used another set of drawers for all of our gear and clothes. While having a small refrigerator was better than none at all, its exceptionally small size made it hard to stock very much in them. Microwaves are available near the vending machines making them somewhat inconvenient. Lastly, there's no repair / wax room for touching up our gear which took a beating from the partially-exposed rocks particularly near the Shedhorn and Dakota lifts.

If visiting the magnificent Big Sky area is in your future, you may want to look at other lodging options. Overall, the Huntley wasn't fantastic, but it was tolerable and couldn't diminish the excellent week we spent at one of the best ski resorts in North America. I rated it 2 out of 5, mainly due to the sleeping rooms, although the included breakfast almost prompted me to bump it up to a three.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank jroo68
There are newer reviews for Huntley Lodge

Reviewed August 9, 2008

Was in town for a Medical Symposium (Symposia Medicus) and stayed at the "host hotel". First trip to Big Sky, MT.. and overall was a good experience with hiking, horseback riding (Jakes horses), walk to Ousel Falls, etc.

The Hotel stay was a bit disappointing... first of all we arrive with 2 kids in tow and 5 large pieces of luggage. The door man greets us with a smile, but no offer to help haul the baggage. Our room was OK... a fridge, NO microwave, a humidifier.. cold dry air up there. However, being the summer it was a bit warm... and NO AC in the room... opened the windows and there was an osc. fan that helped some.... the windows opened only a tiny bit to let in the cool mountain air. Room rates were for a 5-Star... but felt only like your average 3-Star Motel8. Also the Italian Restaurant in property was average at best with food (service was good)... and prices crazy high for what you got.... $3 glass of milk for the kids... come on. Next visit, we will enjoy the resort, but stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank JPSaleebyMD
Reviewed May 4, 2008

clean room. decent service. we stayed on the top floor, but furthest away from elevator so we had a relatively far walk from our room to the ski room. Still ski in/ski out. We rented a basket to put our shoes in for the day at $2 per day because we couldn't walk that far in our ski boots. Thought this was a rip off. As part of the stay you should have a "cubbie hole/cubicle" for your shoes". smokers on our floor and management was unable to do anything about it. breakfast was good/coffee excellent, wait staff very nice. all in all...a decent place to stay with ski in/ski out.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 24, 2008

After booking this hotel with a travel agent, I went to TripAdvisor to look at the lodge. Upon reading some of the comments, I became concerned and called the hotel. The manager could not have been more understanding of my concerns and assured me that we will indeed like the hotel.
My husband and I (along with a college age daughter) thought the place was great. With breakfast included (we are not sure if that is the standard package) we expected the usual Continental stuff, instead there was a full egg station, where you can have any type egg you desired, large fresh fruit area with all kinds of pastries, cereals, large buffet section with meats, oatmeal, waffels etc. You get the picture. The staff throughout the hotel could not have been more pleasent. And Yes I would stay there again. It's a great price for what you get.
One suggestion I did take, just in case, was to stay on the 3rd floor as I felt it would be quiter. Rooms were nicely kept and decorated. Ski in and out.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Six friends stayed here for 5 nights in two 3-bed loft rooms on the 3rd (top) floor facing the mountain. We enjoyed our stay and found the location to be very good for skiing. There is free ski storage downstairs from the lobby with an attendant who will wax skis for a fee, near an exit that is a two minute walk from the ticket windows and from a small "Mall", with shops, casual restaurants/bars, small grocery store, etc. From the ticket windows, it was another 1 or 2 minute walk to any of three main lifts, including the gondola, which is not recommended, since it has low capacity and the high speed quad adjacent to it goes to almost the same location on the mountain, but much faster.

Breakfast was included in the rate. Breakfast is buffet style; there were multiple buffet lines and lots of choices. Service was very good to excellent, with waiters serving water, coffee, juice and you going to the buffet lines for everything else.

Room decor was decent, with good bedding, but also showing lots of signs of wear and tear - nothing really offensive, but certainly not fancy or up to date. There was a mini refrigerator, coffee maker and TV in the room, along with a good sized sitting area with a table next to the window (for the mountain side loft rooms). Free wireless Internet worked well. Not much else - no hair dryer or robes.

Front desk was friendly and helpful. Other service was uneven, friendly but not that competent. When we arrived, by SUV, the doormen were too busy to help us. We checked in, unloaded our vehicle, took our bags to our rooms, and I parked the SUV myself - not a problem for us, but if you want baggage and valet parking service, be prepared to wait, probably not very long. The doormen were friendly and gave me directions to the free parking, which is a short walk but down a couple flights stairs (enclosed, but unheated).

For dinner, the restaurant was OK, but it is being changed now, so perhaps it will be better after the makeover. There is a very good restaurant (expensive) within a five minute walk in the Summit building, plus more restaurants in another "Mall" next to the Summit building.

At the lodge, there were heated swimming pools and at least 2 hot tubs. I did not use them, but others did and I heard no complaints, except that one of the hot tubs was too hot to stay in for very long.

• Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank notfadeaway
Reviewed July 3, 2007

If I could give ZERO star, I would. But I understand that tripadvisor does not start with zero. The only adj. I would give this hotel is "HORRIBLE".
Spent 3 nights at the end of June for a conference. We arrived in the afternoon around 2:30, and were told our room was not ready and should be ready within 30 minutes. That 30 minutes apparently were their definition of time, because we ended up waiting nearly 2 hours. Meanwhile, all other guests checked in continuously successfully, so we asked again. Listen to this reason: We have pre-assigned you a room therefore we cannot assign you a different room and you just have to wait until your room is cleaned.
We finally checked in. Then the next day we woke up with loud and sharp construction noise: there were some big constructions right outside our window! The plus side: the construction never stopped for the entire period of our stay.
Another friend went with us and stayed at the Summit, owned by the same owner. The first day after she arrived, I went to her room to work and noticed that her coffee pot was missing. When she called in the morning (around 8:00), they told her they cannot bring any pot until 3:00 PM. I have visited many places in this world and stayed at many hotels (high end to low end), and I have never ever heard any excuse like this. By the way, she paid for a two bedroom suite. That typically means a high end of the hotel rooms and deserves better treatment than other guests. And of course, by 3:00 there was no replacing coffee pot and by 3:00 she called more than 3 times and talked to a room service guy...
I did not realize that I left my skirt when I checked out. I found it out once I got home, so I called the Huntley lodge immediately (that is the same afternoon after I checked out). The front desk told me they will check with housekeeping and call me back either that day or the day after. They had my number, but by far a week has passed, and I have heard nothing from them at all. Since I am on an overseas trip right after this one, I ended up overnight another skirt before the trip.
When the entire world of hotel management and service is evolving to new improvement and updates, some places in this earth stay in the past, EXCEPT for the price they charge you for the room.
So please do not bother staying this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank minifish
Reviewed April 17, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Huntley Lodge and had a difficult time getting a full night sleep due to the very thin walls. Be sure to stay on the second floor or you'll hear every footstep. On my final bill i was surprised to see three different taxes, a lodging sales and use tax, a room resort tax, and the bogus resort services fee totaling over $15.00 per night. On the plus side I heard they are tearing down the Huntley Lodge and replacing it with something else.

• Stayed: April 2007