“Perfect except for the thin walls”
Review of Huntley Lodge

Huntley Lodge
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Big Sky
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed four nights here from Mar. 30th - Apr. 3rd, 2014 while skiing Big Sky Resort. Lets start out with the heavy check-in crowd which the staff handled very well and we were in our 2nd floor room in no time. The room is a good size with a good layout. My only complaints on the room are the very thin walls. We could hear every single footstep in the room above us. That could be a real problem for light sleepers. Also when the groomers start going at night, man it sounds like there right outside your room. My second complaint is the absence of a microwave which comes in handy when you want to skip the $10 burger for lunch by heating up leftovers in the room. My last complaint is the lighting in the bathroom is very flickery and is showing it's age. Other than that, the room was much nicer than I thought it would be by reading previous reviews. The beds were very comfortable and there was a good size desk and a nice view. The overall atmosphere of the lodge was very rustic and nice with comfortable seating everywhere you go and multiple fireplace lounges to relax in. The pool is nice with two hot tubs and a lack of towels. When the lifts close at 4:00 pm the pool really gets busy. The location of this lodge is very close to the lifts and to the mountain mall. The breakfast, oh it's quite something, arguably better than some all-inclusive mexican resort buffets. The Huntley Dining Room (HDR) is where the breakfast buffet is held. The Shoshone Condiminium and Village Center share this breakfast as well so there is a large line-up around 7:30 am so I recommend going around 7. The breakfast includes the best waffles and scrambled eggs ever, along with pancakes, omelettes, sausages, bacon, biscuits n' gravy and a whole bar of fruit, pastries, cereal, toast, yogurt, etc... The breakfast is free with the booking. Now we booked on the Big Sky website under the ski and stay package so you get a very good rate with reduced lift ticket prices and the outstanding braekfast. I would definitely stay at the Huntley again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms would be quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tyler V
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for the great review! We love to hear from our guests and take their feedback to heart. We will share your suggestions with our team to help make your next stay with us here at the Huntley more enjoyable. Thanks again, and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The only place I have ever stayed where ear plugs are standard issue with the room. Very thin walls and creaky floors. Loud children and adults at all times of the day and night with no hotel staff patrolling the halls. Bed sheets pulled up but not made. Loud and obnoxious hotel. Save your money and stay in the valley.

Room Tip: Find something else. This place is
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank juel1234
BigSkyResort001, Hotel Rooms Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

We are sorry that your stay was not what it was expected to be. While it is true that the Huntley Lodge is a historic building, housekeeping issues should not occur. Know that we are addressing your concerns.

Allison Barnette
Hotel Rooms Manager
Big Sky Resort

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Let me start off to say that the flight might me a little bit eventful, since you're flying though mountains there might be a little bit of turbulence but it isn't that bad. However, we landed at Bozeman Int. Airport, the airport beautiful. Inside it looks like a beautiful rustic lodge and best of all, it was barely full. In the whole day there are around only 6-10 flights. Thus the lines for security, which are known to be line at airports, empty. Then we got our rental, and drove to Big Sky. The drive was about 1 hr and 30 minutes form the airport.

When got there our room wasn't ready, even though it was at the normal 5:00 p.m check-in time. However a nice woman (whos name I forget) told us it would be ready by 6:30. About 5 minutes earlier this man with a cowboy hat (the bellmans all have this as there uniform) he helped us with our bags, and told us that once the room was ready we could expect the bags in the room. We then proceeded to look around and asked the reception where is the mountain school, ticket pickup, good resturants ect.... Asking about parking was easy, however there is sometimes limited parking, in which case you need to park in one of their "daily" parking spaces. However, it isn't a problem so don't be afraid to break the rules a little bit, :). We returned from our quick errands at 6:30, the room still not ready. We then waited in the Huntley's large fireplace room. In which there was ice cones being served, free. The teens liked this treat and so did the adults. the warm fire, and magazines were a nice space for a three star hotel. Finally we returned at almost 7 and the rooms was ready. The front desk woman apologized for the delay, she then gave us each one free drink coupon, which we used around the resort. We went to the room, and were amazed to the beautiful mountain view, which was absolutly astounding. We also noticed that our bags were in the room, a nice complement.

The next day for breakfast the hotel has a buffet, which was absoluly yummy. The food tends to run out the latter you arrive beginning at around 8:50. A line also forms latter, also around 9. However, the resturant has large windows with again beautiful views of the mountain. The waiters are all very nice and kind, almost 5 star quality. We asked what the weather would be like, if any of the mountain was close. They were all very informed about the resort, and told the truth.

Skiing was also a blast! Big Sky boasts about it has the bigest skiing in the US. This is no joke, in the four days we skied we couldn't do the whole mountain. Even though the almost empty lift lines allowed a ton more runs than that of Vail, or Aspen. A truly amazing experience. The only bad thing was that around at 1p.m. on our first day, a huge storm was brewing, in which the wind caused a wind close on all the lifts. Thus shuting down the mountain. However, for those who got stuck there was shuttle busses that came and took you to the base. Even with the closed mountain the resturants were not full, it was a nice peaceful environment. However the other days were great, the next day, 20 inches of powder. This powder lasted the next 3 more days that we skied, that kind of conditions don't stay more than one or two days in places like Aspen or Vail. One last problem I had was that the lifts other than the 6 high-speed chairlifts, the tram and some other ones. Big Sky doesn't have liftbars. Thus on high lifts like challenger, or headwaters your left empty, its a little bit scary but you get over it. Tips when you ski, if your going up the tram hit it early, right after they do avalanche work. Later in the day the lines can get up to half an hour and way longer on a powder day. Also, if you get a storm, hit a place called lone moose, this has powder for the longest time on the mountain, also hit trails like the natural halfpipe which is also a nice quite trail.

The beautiful thing about this place is that one, the people who work at the resturants, shops, and everywhere are all so nice, some of nicest people I have seen in such a long time. Two, at night the place becomes silent, when you sleep almost no one, ever comes past your door. Three, the Skiing, is amazing, powder lasts for such a long time, and the liftlines are nonexsistent sometimes. In all an amazing place that I would love to stay at forever.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain or valley view, also not on the first floor. Many people pass by it d...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicolas L
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for the great 5 star review! Sounds like you had a fabulous stay with us and hit some great snow conditions. We couldn't be happier for you. We invite you to come back to ski and stay with us again. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable please just let us know.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I am writing about the staff at the check in desk at the Huntley Lodge. Our group was staying at a Condo, but we were required to check in at the Huntley. When I first made the reservation for the Condo, I spoke to a young man who acted like he could not wait to get off the phone, and was not at all helpful about my questions.

I called a second time at a later date for some more questions, and spoke to a woman who was more pleasant. I asked if it was possible to get an early check in. She asked how early and since I assumed the regular check in time was 3:00 PM I asked for a noon check in. She told me no problem and she would put us down for a check in at noon.

We arrived at 1:00 PM and when I tried to check in, I was told by the staff that the Condo wasn't ready. The girl at the desk told me that we could park in the 20 minute visitor parking while we waited, and she would call my cell phone to let me know it was ready. By 3:30 still no call so I went back to the desk. A young man helped me, and told me that the Condo was not yet ready. I told him that we had requested an early check in, to which he said that check in time is 5:00 PM. I then asked why no one mentioned that to me at the time I requested early check in. No response. He again said he would call us.

At 4:30 still no call so I decided to just go back and wait at the desk. A completely different group of people were at the desk so obviously there had been a shift change. When I asked again if our Condo was ready, the young man checked and said yes it was ready. (I am guessing that it had been ready but the previous people did not want to take the time to check us in)

Once we got to the Condo, it wasn't very clean, and the bedspreads were all messed which gave the appearance that the cleaning people hadn't even changed the sheets. Then to add insult to injury, once we got home from our vacation, I opened my charge bill and the check in desk had charged me for the stay three times, thus tripling my credit card bill. It is unfortunate that the owners of the condominiums have to let the Huntley manage their rentals, because they do a bad job and the owners are not getting their money's worth.

I'm not sure why people who are put in customer service jobs are not taught how to give good customer service. I won't do business with them again... I'll be searching elsewhere for a rental in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
BigSkyResort001, VP Lodging at Huntley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear: Judy

We are very sorry that you had the experience that you did here with us at Big Sky Resort. I am taking your feedback very seriously and we are addressing the items you have told us about now. Your experience is certainly not the norm nor is it acceptable. If you have issues with your bill that are unresolved please contact us at info@bigskyresort.com.

Sincerely

Barb Rooney
VP Lodging

Reviewed March 21, 2014

After a 7 night stay, it was easy to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the Huntley Lodge. The breakfast buffet and staff in Chet's Grill were great. The food was consistently good. Unfortunately the housekeeping was nearly nonexistent. Over the 7 day period, our room was never vacuumed, the toilet and tub were not cleaned and the beds were not made 3 out of 7 days.
After contacting the housekeeping staff on one of the days that the room was not cleaned, the staff arrived at 5pm and only spent 5 minutes replacing towels and straightening out the bedding. The sheets were never changed in 7 days. If it weren't for the location of the lodge, I would recommend that you consider other options in Big Sky.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take our customer's reviews and feedback to heart. Your description of our housekeeping services do not match that which our team strives for. You and our staff should expect more. Please accept our sincere apologies We will share your comments with our housekeeping team and use them to make improvements for your next visit. We invite you to come and give the Huntley another chance. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable please contact us directly at info@bigskyresort.com. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Location is great here. The lobby is beautiful and comfortable. The beds were comfy too. Staff was very friendly, especially the ones that worked at Chets, the restaurant there. Food was good too! We did have a great view from our room and could see the groomers out every night.
My complaint was the maids were awful! I had to call to have my room cleaned. They missed us a few days so we had to go grab towels. Our toilet clogged twice and our shower/tub was clogging. Also there was no fan in the bathroom and there was mold on the ceiling. Gross, and it caused my allergies to flair up. The shower head isn't high either. I'm 5'4" and I had to bend a bit to get under it. Found that funny. Bathrooms were a little dated and we were told we had one of the older rooms.
The room was nice I thought. Some stuff a little out dated but it was cozy and a good size. I wouldn't pay $300 or more to stay here....

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We love to hear from our guests and take their comments to heart. We are very sorry to hear about the issues you mentioned above with your room. Your description most certainly does not match the level of cleanliness our team strives for. Please accept our sincere apologies. A member of our team will be contacting you shortly for additional information. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Huntley Lodge is an OK hotel. Moderate rooms. A little outdated. The great thing about this hotel is the location. Ski in, Ski out. Another nice feature is the complimentry breakfast buffet. I have dined at many comp buffets in the past, and this one is very good. Wide variety of selections. Waffle and omelet stations. Also, the servers are really nice.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
BigSkyResort001, Public Relations Manager at Huntley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

We love the Huntley Dining Room buffet! It's a hard one to beat and one of our team's favorites. Thanks for taking the time to share your Huntley experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and review. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable.