“Great value”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Big Sky
Naples, Florida
“Great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Great value, friendly and helpful staff, fabulous breakfast choices. Our 5th time staying here and we love it! Huntley/ Shoshone is great! We have checked out other places that seemed stuffed and unfriendly always came back to the Huntley/Shoshone.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed at this property a week before Easter 2013, for spring break, with my husband and two children ages (9) & (5). I read a lot of the reviews and was a little leary, knowing that we would be there during one of the busiest weeks of the year. First, the room was nicer than I had expected, as it had a wet bar with a refrigerator, a dining table with two chairs, hooks by the door to hang all of your ski jackets and pants as well as a closet with a tile floor to put your wet boots. We also had a nice view overlooking the Shoshonee pool, and beautiful mountain views. The pool did get noisy around 4:30 until about 9:00pm but it did close at 10:00 everynight so no worries about extra noise when going to bed. I also thought the hotel was extremely quiet at night, as we never heard our neighbors the entire time we were there. We also loved the breakfast buffet that was included in our price stay, which was huge and had tons of choices including a made-to-order omelet bar. The staff was extra friendly, and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. We will defienitely be coming back, as the entire experience including the amazing skiing made this trip a home run!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor which I think is perfect as you do not get as much noise from people abov...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

My son, his friend and I stayed here for six nights in March. Overall, the facilities were good. It was the best ski in-ski out location I've stayed at. You could literally ski right to the door of the hotel. The construction must be all wood because there is a lot of creaking and squeaking everywhere you walk on the second or third floor. The beds were comfortable. We were on the third floor (no floors above) in a loft unit so it was fairly quiet. However, it was impossible to walk down the stairs from the loft without waking everyone up. The unit shows some wear and tear. The staff was very nice. The breakfast was very good butit is best to get there early (7:00) or the line can be long. Check-in and check-out was good. We did did not eat at Chet's so I cannot comment. I would consider staying here again. Buck's T4 (they will come and get you-just call them) and Olive B's were the best meals we ate. Take the free shuttle in the morning to Moonlight Basin to ski as well- it is a nice place. No need to buy the joint lift ticket. Just ski back over to Big Sky at the end of the day.

1 Thank goehringw
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Pros of the Huntley Lodge:
1) Base lodge just steps from the lifts and several restaurants.
2) Included breakfast (if you book a room that includes it, that is) - it's awesome, especially the omelet bar. Plus the views are amazing.
3) Friendly and helpful staff
4) Large rooms.
5) Two sinks (one outside of the bathroom) and a decent sized mini fridge in the rooms
6) Comfortable beds
7) Fairly affordable considering it's a base lodge (we paid $1700 for five nights with breakfast and 4 day lift tickets included for two people during high season *and* during their huge bluegrass weekend)

Cons of the Huntley Lodge:
1) Room was either too hot or too cold and there didn't seem to be a way to rectify this. If you turned the heat on, the temperature in the room spiked to 75+ degrees; if you turned it off, the temperature quickly dropped to uncomfortable levels.
2) No nightlife to speak of. The bars (in the Lodge and also in the little mall) were dead by 8 PM every night.
3) Very thin walls/ceilings/floors. We heard every word our neighbors spoke, every step of every person walking down the hall, etc. Thankfully we're heavy sleepers.
4) Room cleaning service was questionable at best. The first day they just pulled the blankets on our bed up - didn't properly make it at all. The rest of the time they *did* make the bed, but never once did they wipe off the counters or wipe out the sinks. We're not dirty people, but after several mornings of this the room just looked and felt gross. And on top of that, often we would stop back in the room after a couple hours of skiing in the morning - say around 12:30 PM or so - and the room was never cleaned. Despite our having walked out the door by 9:30 AM every day. Considering how little they actually seemed to DO in regards to cleaning, I don't understand why it took them so long to get to our room.

I see that other reviewers feel that this hotel is overpriced for what you get. Personally I've had to pay as much as $600 a night for a one bedroom ski in/ski out condo at Okemo in Vermont...and last year I stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge for just four nights (with three day lift tickets included, but NO breakfast) and that cost about $1400 for two people. And yes, I shop around and compare rates and whatnot. So while staying at the Huntley isn't cheap - and while I do believe that they should at least properly clean the rooms every day, regardless of the rate paid - saying that it's "overpriced" doesn't seem quite right to me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ageeksaga
SF
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was expecting more out of this place especially being that is located right next to Big Sky. The room had an odor (a bit of a musty, dirty towel smell) and the place looked very run down. The shades were dirty with stains and the lighting was awful. Also, the walls or thin so you can hear your neighbor and all the lovely kids when they are in the hallway. However, this place is perfect if you are just trying to find a place to rest your head for the night because your main focus is skiing or boarding. The staff is very polite and there is a cafe in the lobby that serves the BEST hot chocolate in town. Last bit of advice, don't forget to ground yourself such as lift your foot and press it against the wall when you press the elevator button. If you don't, you'll get shocked every single time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Big Sky hotels

Staten Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I spent last week at the Huntley Lodge when I was on my first Big Sky ski trip. I really loved the place. My room was very comfortable, and certainly compatible with most of rooms that I get on my ski trips. The facilities in the Lodge - hot tub, pool, work out room, ski storage room, bar and restaurant - leave little to be desired. Their buffet breakfast is top notch. If you want it, it's there to eat, and it's excellent as well. Their service is superb as well. The staff couldn't be more helpful. They go out of their way to make sure that you have an enjoyable stay at their facility. If I ever return to Big Sky, I'd definitely stay at the Huntley Lodge.

Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

When on a skiing vacation, I only ask that the room be 1) warm, 2) clean and 3) quiet. The first night we checked in, the heating didn't work, it was dirty and loud. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and moved us to another room. Unfortunately, only the first of our issues was resolved.

The lobby looks impressive and is very mountain lodge in style. However as soon as you leave the main area for the rooms you realize how old and tired this place is. The decor of the rooms is very basic and dated. The hallways look like they were last painted in the 1960s

The room was extremely noisy - one night we listened to the person next door throwing up all night. We could even hear them snoring.

The room was not clean - housekeeping did one of the poorest jobs in cleaning I have every experienced. We had to write them a note to tell them to clean the toilet. They did not clean any mugs/cups and left them where they were on the bedside table. They did not vacum the floor. They simply pulled the sheets back on the bed and wiped the sink clean. Even with such little work in each room, they did not always manage to complete cleaning the room by 4pm when we returned from skiing and sometimes we had to leave at 5pm to allow them in to clean.

Our toilet did not work properly for 4 days. They sent maintenance multiple times before it was fully resolved. WHile they did offer to move us again, we foolishley kept thinking the issue would be resolved and didn't want the hassle of moving again. Through the walls, we could hear our neighbours discussing that they had a similar problem. The hot tub has water but no bubbles, so its more of a cummunal bath tub.

The breakfast buffet was pretty decent, as was the bar and the staff friendly. However, get to breakfast at least 15 minutes earlier than you want as that's how long it will take for them to bring you a juice or water. The food for dinner was below average. A dish called "Airline Chicken" must be so named as it resembles airplane food.

I love the mountain of Big Sky but would never stay in this place again. I doubt that a rennovation could help due to the thinness of the walls and outdated structure. This place needs to be levelled and rebuilt from scratch.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, however 3rd floor is likely to be quiter and warmer.
1 Thank Peter_NYC_UK