“Good Lodge Rooms at Big Sky Resort”
Review of Huntley Lodge

Huntley Lodge
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Big Sky
Oldsmar, Florida
“Good Lodge Rooms at Big Sky Resort”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The TV co-anchor, Chet Huntley, conceived the concept of Big Sky and was the kingpin in its development. We stayed in the Huntley Lodge that was the first lodge at the resort when it opened in the early 1970’s. Our room was a traditional hotel room with 2 queen beds done in a western décor. They have crisp white linens, flat screen TV, nice table and chairs in this spacious room. The wet bar with a small refrigerator was handy. The Lodge lobby area is beautifully decorated with a huge bronze bear statue, titled “Sitting Bear.". An upper lobby has a great fireplace and gathering area. Options of two great pools were available at the Huntley Lodge and the Spa is also located at the Lodge. Be sure and stop by the Chet Bar for a drink before or after dinner. We liked the complimentary drink coupons given at check in.

Room Tip: No real suggestions for best room here. Some might have better views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Montana
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here for a three day music festival during the off season. The front desk staff was excellent and very helpful. The rooms-although older- were clean and comfy. The price was good.
The downside to the rooms at the Huntley Lodge are the paper thin walls. Every word of the conversation my neighbors were having could be heard clearly. The guests walking down the hallways sounded like they were shouting and the people above me got up several times to use the facilities-I heard every footstep and the flushing toilet. I did not sleep a wink as every 20 minutes the noise would start again. I was in a first floor room in the middle of the hallway. Perhaps a top floor room wouldn't have been noisy.
If you can sleep through noise you may be fine here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Great hotel! Very friendly staff,but using the pool is impossible! Over run with really drunk 20 something's.drinking beer in the pool and there must be at least 100 beer cans laying around.not good for our 11 year old.We are staying here right now.not sure,if we will be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This summertime stay would have been heavenly except for the fact that I had neighbors in the hotel. I could hear every word and footstep in 3D, whether the guest was next to me or above me....If you're the one making the noise, it won't bother you. If you're trying to sleep, I guarantee you won't get any.

If the design team cared so little, why didn't they just throw up a sheet between rooms? At least then they would have avoided pretense.

I was travelling with a dog, which placed me in a specific wing which was inspected a moment before I was allowed to check in.

When I opened my room door for the first time, it looked like someone had sat down on one of the beds. Granted, this doesn't much matter but I irrationally walk into hotel rooms and hope they look like no one has ever stayed there before. I was irrationally disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank maternitymama

Travelers are raving about these Big Sky hotels

Craig
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Friendly staff, great food, excellent wine/beer selection, comfy bed and nice rooms

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stay at the Huntley Lodge or many of the other properties available. Summer time fun includes rafting, biking, hiking, or relaxing. Stayed in a very spacious Huntley Lodge condo with full kitchen.

• Stayed June 2011
Montana
Reviewed July 25, 2011

If you want beautiful scenery close to lots of summer activities, Huntley Lodge can fill that need. However, when room rates were $269 + approximately $46 in room fees and taxes per night--I was a bit surprised at what we got for our money. I've stayed in a lot of hotels, and I don't squack at the cost of the room if I feel that it is worth it, but I seriously think that this room would have been overpriced at $120/nt. The reception area was beautiful and inviting, but once you headed to the guest rooms, it was like walking into another era. The hallway was just that--a hallway--nothing to make you feel welcome as you were walking to your room. It almost had an institutional feel.

The walls were so thin that when the room neighbor took a shower, I thought someone from my family was up really early showering in our room. We heard several conversations that were going on in the adjacent rooms. The "wet-bar" that is in the room seems like nothing more than the additional sink area in the room where they cut down part of the wall to open it to the rest of the room--a bad attempt at making the room look larger. The counter space for the "wet-bar" was non-existant. The fridge was a dorm-sized applicance that did not hold much of anything. I will say, however, that the fridge did keep the soda cans cold. The beds and pillows were comfortable, and there were extra pillows and blankets int he room for each bed.
The girl that checked us in didn't give us a good explanation of the facilities, so we weren't sure whether or not admission to the healthclub was included in the room rate or if there was an additionall cost. We never got that figured out. My key to the outdoor pools did not work, and I gave up on a swim--taking to the mountain instead for a vigoruous hike. The golf course was in great shape, and the views of Lone Mountain were spectacular.
There are options for dining, but be aware that they close early. We ate at Whiskey Jacks and had probably the worst burgers we have ever tasted. I can't even describe the flavor other than it tasted nothing like beef. The service was wonderful, however!
The doorman at the Huntley Lodge was so friendly and cheerful--made us feel welcome from arrival until we departed.
Parking is not close to the hotel, and I can imagine that during ski season it is a real fun adventure finding a spot to park with all the day skiiers in the area. There is a tunnel from a parking area to the front door of the hotel, but there is no elevator. Difficult to carry luggage up.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family