“Nice eclectic menu” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of By Word of Mouth Restaurant & Catering

By Word of Mouth Restaurant & Catering
Ranked #22 of 71 Restaurants in Big Sky
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Fresh, local ingredients, seasonal menus, a casual atmosphere, and gourmet flavors - this is the list of ingredients that makes By Word of Mouth (By WOM for those in the know!) a cherished local favorite in Big Sky, Montana. Your dining experience will be topped off by our welcoming, attentive staff and our lively bar with handcrafted cocktails and an award-winning wine list.
West Milford, New Jersey
“Nice eclectic menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

This restaurant is definitely for those who want a good wine selection. Even the cocktail menu is fun. The food itself is different, but not the best I've ever had. My ahi tuna was enjoyable mainly because the sauce it was cooked in was light but flavorful. My husband thought his Bistro Steak was fine but nothing great. My mother liked that her Spinach Pappardelle was light and not too heavy. The calamari appetizer was so-so. We had 6pm reservations and we were one of the first people dining there but by 7pm the restaurant was packed, so definitely make reservations if you plan on eating here! I had left a message on their answering machine earlier on in the day and they were good at getting back to me so I could make reservations. Since it was summertime, the restaurant got really warm as more people filtered in. My husband wished he had worn a t-shirt instead of a button-down as he was sweating by the time we left.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Shaker Heights, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor Service and mediocre food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

We all have bad days, but one would hope you didn't take it out on your customers. Inattentive at best. This is our third and final try. We agree with the fish fry comments from last year and love the wine list, but wish the up selling would stop. Once we finally did get our wine, no one checked back. Sorry WOM, we won't be back.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank Kibbles83
Bozeman
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

We made reservations for dinner and then ended up sitting at their bar for a quiet dinner. Wine pours are generous and service was terrific. We split and appetizer and an entrée of Pork Osso Bucco and it was large portion and fabulous.

• Visited January 2011
dekalb,IL
“John and Pam, owners of the "Word of Mouth" will exceed your expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

On a very last minute plea, I called "Word of Mouth" and talked to Pam about my desire to have a dinner catered to my cabin on Lone Mountain....as I was planning to propose and wanted to do it in the privacy of our cabin and with a breath taking view of the MT mountains. Much to my delight, Pam and John eagerly signed on to the plan. They put together a tasty menu, sharing and asking my approval beforehand. John showed up right on time with the dinner and all the necessary plates, silverware, cloth napkins and candles for the table! All I had to do was keep the salad cold, the trout and chocolate souffle warm and propose. It was a most memorable evening...thanks to Word of Mouth!
The entire meal was exceptional...from the baked cheese appetizer, followed by a mixed green salad with pine nuts and goat cheese , followed by the main entree, Rainbow Trout and couscous, finishing with a fantastic and warm chocolate souffle. Amazing from start to finish! I highly recommend the Word of Mouth.
And if you are wondering.....Rosemary did say YES :))

Billings, Montana
“WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

Wow, what a great place to have dinner w clients or just for a fantastic meal. The food was excellent, all of the people i had w me raved about the meal, the freshness, and preperation are second to none. The staff, (Amy) is professional and engaging, Amy is worth requesting if you can. I have eaten in world class resturants from Paris, Sienna, Avingon, Cape Town, Florence, Frankfurt, Argentina, and here in the US, this was as good as any i have been to. Well worth the trip, i will be back, soon. Try the Malbec, its a real nice bottle.
Dave