“Superb food & service in classic mountain ranch atmosphere”

Buck's T-4 Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 64 Restaurants in Big Sky
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

What a find! Every element of our dinner was outstanding, from the attentive and personable service provided by our server Jordan to the basket of crusty rolls with chewy, soft centers and butter accented with a sprig of fresh rosemary. We'd had a large lunch late in the day so opted not to go in for the heavier meat and game dishes that are the specialty here, but we found our vegetarian small plate options to be more than gratifying. The winter salad with roasted beets, fig purée and arugula was inspired, and the "side" of creamy gruyere & white truffle mac and cheese served in a crock with toasted bread crumb topping was truly one of the most savory dishes I've ever tasted. Another side - the seasonal vegetables roasted on a cedar plank - was a unique presentation and fabulous medley of flavors, infused with the sweet wood smoke. Our meal was accented with excellent wine selections and Montana microbrews on draft - couldn't have been better. And the cozy lodge-style atmosphere on a chilly night enhanced the whole experience overall. We'll go out of our way to come back here!

2  Thank ardentadventurer

Reviewed March 20, 2014

When we arrived, we grabbed our cameras and photographed a very large herd of elk directly across the highway climbing down from the mountain is search for some evening grazing; many more elk than we saw while visiting Yellowstone. It was our last meal of our vacation and our choice of this restaurant was based upon the positive comments we heard while riding the lifts at Big Sky. Yes, it is pricy, but we were looking for local food and were warmly welcomed, The food was excellent and Brian, our server, was perfect. We selected three different entrees and one appetizer to share. We also sampled four different cocktails, two with hints of local huckleberries. The appetizer of calamari with chili sauce was perfectly cooked and enough for all four of us to enjoy without spoiling our main dish. The only thing we would suggest would be to skip the creamed corn; too complicated and conflicting in flavors. Creamed corn, in our opinion, needs very little to make it a delicious comfort food. When corn is out of season, keep it simple with a very short visit in the food processor with a dab of butter, a little s & p and some sweetener to taste. Top it with panko and broil until browned. Just a suggestion. Thank you for a wonderful meal. We would definitely come again. One last and amazing perk is that they offer a shuttle service if you have no transportation or prefer not to drive!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Last night was my second dinner at Buck's T-4, and the experience wasn't much different from the first visit. We were seated in a back room and placed our orders rather quickly. The earliest reservation (several days ahead) that we could get was 8pm. Even though we had some difficulty getting a reservation, we were the only table seated in this room for the first hour and 15 minutes of our arrival. Despite being the only guests in this room, our food was not served until AFTER 9:30! More than 90 minutes! I told the others at the table that I was ready to leave, but being with a group of friends, I didn't want to create a scene. Two of the teenagers in our party were asleep before we were served. The topper was that our waitress never once came to give us an explanation or apology or mention this in any way. She basically hid from our table for an hour and a half - and never once mentioned the status of our food. For a restaurant catering to many visitors who are skiing and doing other physical outdoor activities, to keep people this long for food service is total crap. I could have made a quick meal at home and been much happier. My bill for this abuse was $167 (and one of our party had nothing more than a hamburger and soft drink - and his hamburger bun was so hard that it had probably been in a warmer for more than an hour). For the first time in my life - no joke - I left no tip. I have waited tables myself at many restaurants, and 20% tip is usually my starting point, but I left here angry and could not think of one justifiable reason why I should pay a service gratuity to anyone involved with this. I am mad that I had to pay for the food, which was fair at best, and some of which had clearly sat around for far too long (timing a group's orders is one of the most basic jobs of a restaurant, and Buck's T-4 gets an "F" for this). I didn't ask for anything to be comped, though I should have, and of course our invisible waitress was her non-communicative non-present self. The total lack of acknowledgement by anyone there about such poor service tells me that this business does not understand customer service. During our meal, never once were we asked how the food was. I feel like I deserve a refund, and I would love to have back the evening to do one of the many fun things around Big Sky, rather than sit in an empty room for nearly 2 hours waiting for mediocre, over-priced food. Just because the ingredients are typical of a fine dining establishment, doesn't make it a fine dining establishment. I have eaten out at many nice restaurants, and this is not one. Sometimes things go wrong, but to not acknowledge it or try to correct it is inexcusable. If they refunded my meal and comped the next one, I still wouldn't waste my time going back. If you read my other TripAdvisor reviews, you will see that they are largely very positive and complimentary. I do not set out to flame any place, and don't enjoy doing so. But, If you eat out at a place that is truly awful then don't say anything about it, what is the purpose of a site like TripAdvisor? Have fun eating out around Big Sky, just don't waste your time and money here.

4  Thank Ted F
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Had reservation during a snow storm and their van came to pick us up and bring us back to our hotel. Staff was personable, funny and very knowledgeable about the food. We had elk and lamb. Presentation was excellent. Big variety of wine.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I ate at Bucks T-4 several years ago and had the most fabulous meal ever. We returned a couple of years later, and had the worst meal ever. We vowed never to return. Then while searching tripadvisor to plan for our family ski trip, I saw that Bucks T-4 was again rated very high and everyone seemed to really enjoy the food there.

We were again a bit disappointed, however. Two people in our group had the bison tenderloin which they said was very, very good. My husband had the rib eye steak, and he felt it was just okay. My husband also had wanted to try the barbecue ribs, so I ordered them. They were tender, but the barbecue sauce was nothing special. Another family member had the nut crusted Walleye and she loved it. I tasted it and thought it was also excellent.

I gave them an average rating, however, because we all had and ALL agreed, that their garlic mashed potatoes were awful. The potatoes were cold and tasteless, and had sat for so long it looked like they were cut from a brick. I honestly feel that if a restaurant cannot make good mashed potatoes, they need to go to culinary school or pick up a copy of a basic cookbook, and for goodness sake, don't offer them as one of the main sides to the entree if you cannot properly cook them! The other vegetables, however, were great. They were a mix of bok choy, carrots and red peppers.

The dessert we ordered was the bread pudding. I know there are a lot of variations on bread pudding, but this one didn't have any of the custard that is usual for bread pudding. It was very flavorful, but tasted more like a giant cinnamon/caramel roll. We just didn't feel that Buck's food was deserving of the number one slot in the area, at least not for the price.