“Worst meal I have had in my life”
Review of El Patron Cocina y Cantina - CLOSED

El Patron Cocina y Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Should have known when we went in and there was only one other table dining....problem! Food was overpriced, luke warm at best. My wife had to return her entree. It was inedible. The owner did replace it but wanted to charge us for the original (uneaten but for a bite) and the replacement. He explained to us that he had the best food in the area, bar none. Guess he didn't look at his dining room. It should have been full.

1  Thank William B
wildwestpizza, Owner at El Patron Cocina y Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

This reviewer came into the restaurant in early August. I don't think they had much experience with Mexican food as they asked for enchiladas and then sent them back because they were not crispy or crunchy. I wish they would have asked some questions to the server and I am confident that we could have accommodated their wishes. If you are reading this review, please don't let it influence your decision to eat at El Patron. I would like to assure you that everything is made in house and we are confident that you will enjoy your experience.

Aaron

Reviewed October 12, 2013

So, I lived 30+ years in Texas so I know a little about Tex-Mex. El Patron started out a little rough. The owner has a great Pizza restaurant, but he is a fast learner. The menu is now expanded, and really high quality. The cooks are real. If what you want something not on the menu, just ask, they can probably fix you up.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were staying in the Boyne Big Sky resort, which was closing down for the season, and the restaurants were very quiet. We drove down to the village and decided to give El Patron a try. What a pleasure! There was a good buzz of people, the service was good, the waitron was pleasant and friendly (that in itself made a nice change!), and the food was very tasty, with tacos that were obviously freshly made and not simply heated up. And to top it all, the total cost was a fraction of what we had been paying up the mountain! Definitely worth the effort.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Just popped in on a Sunday afternoon to check it out. We sat at the bar and watched some football. The bartender "Randy" was very nice and made a great Margarita, it's all about good tequila, fresh lime and the right lemon mix! We ordered a few dishes to try, one was the Chili Relleno, which I have to say was the best I have ever had. It was a fresh Jalepeno stuffed with a little bit of cheese, lightly breaded and fried, it was tasty and fresh. The other thing we ordered was a Fish Taco, a generous piece of cod lightly breaded and fried. All of the ingredients tasted fresh. Randy mentioned that they will be offering fresh fish for the Taco's once they are all situated, I am hoping this fresh fish is a grilled option. I almost forgot to mention that they served complimentary chips and salsa. The chips were warm and pretty good, however I think they would be better if they were the thinner saltier chips.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had lunch and were very pleasantly surprised at how great the food is. The best way to judge Mexican restaurants is by their beans, rice and salsa. If they get those right, then they can cook the rest. Their recipes are truly authentic and delicious.

We've waited 30 years to have a Mexican restaurant of this quality to finally "land" in Big Sky!