“Great potential”

Stillwater Condominiums at Big Sky Resort
Ranked #17 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Big Sky
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Easy walk to the lifts and village areas. Roomy with nice floor plan. Near the end of the ski season and there were maintenance issues that were not quickly attended to.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room close to the village.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed December 5, 2010

Wonderful condos in the heart of Big Sky Village, close to all the amenities.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Very enjoyable stay. Right in the village. Walk to everything or take the convienent bus service to just about anywhere. Stayed in a one bedroom with a loft and loved it. My 12 yr old son stayed in the loft with a friend. They enjoyed walking to the village to hang around or to swim at the Huntley Lodge. Full galley kitchen which was great for breakfast and appetizers before heading out to any number of great dining spots. Booked thru East/West, very easy and a great bargain.
The sking was best ever. Huge mountain with great mix of terrain. No lift lines. People were very friendly and helped us navigate the many trails.
Going back next February for sure.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank threejaegers
Reviewed February 21, 2010

First of all, my two adult son's and myself spend a ski week every year for the last five. We are fairly discerning about our requirements. Condo with fireplace, ski in/ski out, hot tub, etc.

On the positive side, the condo was well appointed and comfortable. And Big Sky is one of the best ski mountains we have been at in our travels, which includes Crested Butte, Telluride, and Jackson Hole.

This is not a ski in and ski out!!! It is a tote to the lifts and you take your life in your hands crossing the resort parking lot. Hot tub in the Huntley Lodge which is a trek if you are in one of the distant condo's (1055), which we were.

Although we checked in at the Huntley, the property is managed by Ramirez Management. I have a consulting business that requires internet connectivity. Wifi did not work. It took one day for the Hotel to finally tell me it was the owners association problem, not their's. I finally chased Rameriz around on the wifi for three days with essentially no response to the issue. It never did work. I had to go outside in 5 degree weather to get a weak signal from the hotel. Responsiveness, quite frankly, sucked. Although they could not figure out the wifi, they did have time to give us a parking citation with parking permit that was issued by the Huntley. A totally dysfunctional and non responsive set up. If I were the owner, I would be looking for a different property management company. The business center, by the way, was a half mile away.

• Stayed: February 2010
3  Thank RPFawcett
Reviewed February 28, 2009

The Stillwater Condo is at the base of Big Sky Resort. We had a 1 BR & loft that was plenty of room for 3 people, but could sleep 4 easy & six with the sleeper sofa. The condo was very clean and the decor was up to date. Our particular condo was managed by East-West Resorts in conjunction with Moonlight Basin Lodge: they did a great job. We used the Moonlight Basin's hot tub & pool. In order to get there we needed to call their shuttle, since we did not rent a car. Moonlight's shuttle was very convenient. There were not any crowds at Big Sky at all. We had a great trip.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Based on earlier reviews I was prepared for a rundown unit. Instead I found a very roomy one bedroom with all new furniture. The kitchen was completely stocked with everything you would need to cook a thanksgiving dinner (except the food). There is maid service every two days. The place was airy, well lit and felt private even with all the curtains open. Four of us fit in it easily. The walk up to the hotel and the lifts is not a big deal, just go slow until you get used to the altitude. The pool and hot tub at the Huntley hotel are enjoyable once you unravel the mysteries of finding them and getting a special key from the Hotel front desk. Internet service in the unit is spotty but is excellent in the hotel lobbies. We heeded the warnings of others and bought our food in Belgrade (near the airport) before we drove up here. Oh yeah... the skiing is fantastic and Bid Sky has a huge number of intermediate runs in addition to plenty of hard stuff and beginner slopes. Also,the winter trip into Yellowstone on the snowvan is an amazing experience. You will get closer to a lot of bison and elk than you would think is possible. Also, seeing the geysers, mud pots, etc. with no one else around is great.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2008

We took our almost 6 year old son to Big Sky for his first ski trip. This was a spur of the moment trip and really the only thing available at his late notice was a Stillwater condo through RPM big sky. We stayed for 4 nights starting on Thursday the 21st and ending on Monday the 24th.

We drove in from Fargo, ND and didn't get into Big Sky until around 11:30pm. We checked in at the River Rock Lodge in the Meadow Village and were promptly given our keys and directions to the Condo and where to park.

Our condo was skyhouse D which is the first building from the road and was located on the 3rd floor. Now I had did my research and knew what to expect. If you don't know it yet the Stillwater complex looks to have been build in the 70s and has very "vintage" decor. I was surprised with the size of the condo. It had 1 bedroom/1 bath (large jetter tub) with a small kitchen and nice sized family room. This was much larger than I had expected. The decor is dated and showing its wear a bit, but I knew that I wasn't getting a 5 star retreat. Although old all the appliances worked fine and did their job throughout the weekend.

I've seen a few complaints about the walk from Stillwater to the Mountain Mall, but for the life of me I can't see why someone would complain. If you get unit A the walk is less than a minute, if you are in unit D (ours) it is no longer than a 5 minute walk and that is with a kindergartener. If you don't want to carry your skis then don't! You can put them in storage for a whopping $4 a night. Sorry to rip other reviewers, but I can't see why anyone would complain about the walk, it is very convienent.

Housekeeping is light and is mentioned in our welcome letter. They come every other day to change out the garbage and towels. We always had plenty.

Just a quick note on the Ski School. Fantastic!! THis was my son's first time skiing and he loved it. We did 1/2 day mini-camps and by sunday he was going down all the green runs on the mountain. He still needs to work on his turns, but can control his speed by using his "pizza". Great job to Flynn and Sarah!!

Overall Stillwater met all of my expectations. I don't know if we'll be back because we might want to go a little more upscale next time. Yes were snobs. If you're looking for plenty of space on a budget this is for you. If you're looking for an upscale ski retreat with all the amenities of a hotel then look at Big Sky's other alternatives.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family