“ski and stay in comfort”
Review of River Rock Lodge

River Rock Lodge
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Big Sky
Reviewed January 6, 2012

a very comfortable lodge near big sky resort. the rooms are large and spacious with a bar with a refrigerator, bathrobes, lovely bedding, nice products and beautiful old photographs in the rooms of old montana and local indians in the 1800s. The staff is also very helpful and they have lockers for your equipment if you feel more comfortable with that rather than leaving in the car.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 15, 2011

My wife and daughter are here now.

I don't know where to start. The lodge is perfect, the rooms are perfect, but most importantly the people are perfect!

No matter what we need, they do their best to make sure we have it.

I wanted a haircut, a simple thing right? well, it's a little pre-season so finding someone was tough. But they fixed that too when I had a crazy request for a "clippers" ..... Andrea found one for me and my wife cut my hair! It may sound silly, but it demonstrates the willingness to make your stay PERFECT!

I cannot say enough good about this lodge or the people who run it, go there, get to know them, you won't be disapointed!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Loonytuna
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I had a wonderful stay with my family. We had a beautiful room clean comfortable and elegant. I really enjoyed my stay. Breakfast was free and we had a nice selection of fresh pastries cereals yoghurt, it was very nice. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Curvycass
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Reserved in advance based largely on tripadvisor reviews -- was great! This was 1st of 5 nights in the region, stayed here to be close to Big Sky resort for zip-lining the next day. Perfect location for us, good comparative rates, really nice room. Robes were a nice touch, a/c was quiet, good water pressure, nice mountain view, very easy access to everywhere we wanted, walking distance to several restaurants/shops, well-supplied continental breakfast. Staff were all superb, friendly and cheerful. We liked this hotel so well we came back that way instead of through Gardiner/Livingston, and stayed there a second night. Ate at Broken Spoke Bar&Grill across street -- best brisket EVER!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ksewing
Reviewed August 14, 2011

comfy and clean good breakfast only thing missing was internet in the rooms (available in the lobby )

Room Tip: internet special
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Had a last minute opportunity set a family visit to Yellowstone. After having to change the scheduled week again at the very last minute, we found that all of the traditional Yellowstone Park locations were full. Booked the River Rock Lodge with much trepidation (was it too far from the Park?, would the family like it? and so forth). As it turned out, the trip to West Yellowstone is only 45 minutes on a very good road. We made half of our wildlife sitings in the segment of the BigSky-West Yellowstone road that traverses the NW segment of the Park; including our only two grizzly sitings, a moose and calf, and one bald eagle ("eagle in the tree!!!" shouted our eleven year old). Our strategy of three trips into the Park every other day was perfect. We saw the Park and got to know Big Sky and all its surprises as well.

Big Sky itself was welcoming, nice, and had more services with less crowds than West Yellowstone. We had a fantastic Class 4 whitewater rafting trip as a family there, we hiked to the base of Ousel Falls (not to be missed), we found the Hungry Moose Deli to be one of the trips special surprises (within walking distance of the hotel). We couldn't get a guide for fly fishing but the fisherman were everywhere on the Gallatin with lots of backwater pools and foam lines. There is a zipline (we were thundered out) and a high-level (not for beginners) mountain bike circuit further up the mountain. There are two golf courses with the one at Moonlight Basin in a spectacular setting. Couldn't play either due to all the activities but saw Moonlight and the Village courses.

We found more than enough restaurants (breakfast outdoors every morning at the Bugaboo was pure magic with eagles overhead).

The trip was made all the better by our selection of the Vista Suite in the River Rock(also at the last minute). The cost was a bit higher but well worth it. I am one who likes to have coffee on a terrace in the morning; the suite has one. It is located just above the WiFi router for the hotel so our reception and speed was among the best we've experienced anywhere. That breakfast area was convenient enough to the Suite to allow morning shuttling back and forth for outstanding muffins, coffee, and whatnot. The mountain views were very good and the crisp air was invigorating especially when reading about summer time temperatures everywhere else.

So - things worked out and I would recommend highly the Vista Suite at the River Rock. The wife said she could have stayed another week (as we still had things to do)...... what more can I say.

Room Tip: Book the Vista Suite. Faces north, but otherwise perfect and roomy
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank MaineCascoBay
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I just returned from a 5-night stay at this hotel. I went with my husband and my parents. We had never been to Big Sky, MT and had a wedding we were attending up at Moonlight Basin resort. We knew that Moonlight Basin was at a higher altitude (approx. 8,000 ft.) and wanted something a little lower in elevation since my husband is prone to altitude sickness. The hotel is located in what is known as "the meadows" of Big Sky. There's a golf course about 2-minutes away and there are LOTS of restaurants and stores within a short walking distance. This proved helpful when my husband's altitude sickness acted up again and we had to make a few trips to the nearby grocery (The Hungry Moose) to buy water and other supplies. We were able to explore different restaurants (i.e. Choppers, By Word of Mouth, and Lotus Pad) because they were all a minute walk from the hotel. We actually liked this hotel's location better than Big Sky Village because there wasn't such a claustrophobic feel in "the meadows" and we had more of a selection of restaurants and stores. However, if you're skiing, I'd definitely recommend staying in Big Sky Village, since location is everything. Don't be surprised, though, if you find yourself driving down to "the meadows" for a bite to eat. As for the actual hotel, it was very clean. They put out a nice spread for the Continental breakfast. If you're craving something warm for breakfast you can always head over to the Blue Moon bakery for breakfast sandwiches. My only complaint is that the walls are a little thin and if you're a light sleeper, you may find yourself waking up to the sounds of earlier risers, especially if you're on the lower floors.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family