“Amazing Location!”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Big Sky
Memphis
“Amazing Location!”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We've been coming to Big Sky for more than 10 years now. This is the first time we've stayed at the summit and I must say is the best located place in Big Sky. You literally walk out the door of the hotel and you're on the slopes. Plus, you store your skiis right next to the ski lift so you don't have to carry your equipment anywhere!

The rooms were nice and clean. The best part was the floor to ceiling windows with wraparound views of the ski slopes/Lone mountain peak to one side and the surrounding mountain ranges to the other. Can't be beat.

The slopeside swimming pool is heated better than any other heated pool I've been in at Big Sky and you get poolside drink service that can't be beat. The breakfast that is included are delicious and have something for everyone. Valet parking is also nice so you don't have to brave walking through icy parking lots to get to your car.

Overall, I'm glad our other favorite Big Sky hotel was booked so we could try this place. The amenities and location can't be beat. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We have stayed at multiple locations in Big Sky. This was our first time at the Summit. We had a studio, parking lot view.
Highs: LOCATION - ski in and out the front door. Bell staff was great. Well-furnished, complete kitchen (that we never used). Nice bedding, comforter and pillows. Gas fireplace.
Lows: Very noisy refrigerator, noisy and variable heating/ventilation system. VERY cold by the windows. Murphy bed just OK.
Caution: Be aware that if any of you have a problem staying at this altitude, and need to move down to the Meadow Villiage, there are no refunds if you check out early. (And we had to.)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
Reviewed February 5, 2011

This was my 1st ski trip and 1st stay in a lodge so I was expecting a very elegant and up-scale hotel. Even though it was not elegant or fancy, it was nice, the staff was very friendly, and the location in proximity to base camp was perfect.
Our room was small, faced the driveway (although there is a mountain in the distance), had a murphy bed to sleep in (that was a surprise), but did have a furnished kitchen.
It appears these are time shares becuase there was a locked closet. Although the housekeeping was adequate (2x/day) it was nothing special.
The Carabiners Lounge was fun with live music daily. And the breakfast buffet in Peaks was very good with a wide variety.
The hot tub was wonderful, with an amazing view and even bar service. We had to ask for robes to be sent up to our room prior though.
I would consider staying here in the future, but would also look to the Huntley--it was in a similar area with a similar look to it.
A humidifier was in our closet and while though a nice touch, not sure it helped becuase we couldn't close in the room.

• Stayed January 2011
Belmont, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We spent 4 days at the Summit on the "Stay 4 for the price of 3" package. We had a great time. The room faced the mountain with the window perfectly framing Lone Mountain. We could watch the ski patrol blasting down the potential avalanche accumulations early every morning. We had snow every night and blue skies every day while we were there.

All the staff at the resort were very friendly and worked hard to make you feel at home, that goes for hotel staff, restaurant staff and the "lifties". We stayed in a "studio" room and it was perfect for two people. I think I prefer the studio to the more expensive "hotel" room because the studio had a kitchen and a fireplace. The room was very clean and well maintained. There was a slight problem with the murphy bed, but maintenance came right up and fixed it better than new.

The ski area is huge and the slopes well maintained, there is something for every level of skier and you won't get bored. I had a chance to ride with several locals on the lifts who ski the area regularly and they are rightly proud of the local ski area. They were willing to let me in on the best trails, the powder stashes and the spots "not to miss." I never had more than 1 person in front of me but most of the time there was nobody in front of me in the lift lines. You can get in a lot of skiing in a day when you don't have to wait in lift lines. Getting on the slopes was as easy and walking out the door snapping on your skis and sitting down on the chairlift. Getting back was just as easy, ski to the patio pop off your skis and walk inside. My wife is not a skier, but she found plenty to do and enjoyed her stay at the resort.

The hotel food was very good. It was a littel expensive, but no more than other ski resort restaurants and the waiters made it all worthwile. Don't miss the hamburger shack on the patio for lunch. The food was great and improved by sitting on patio eating your lunch. I was so busy skiing I never did try the mountain top or on slope chow locations. I'll have to save those for next year.

If it sounds like I am crazy about this place, you would be correct. It was my first visit here but it won't be my last! Although I am from the fairly popular ski state of NH and have skiied many eastern and western resorts, Big Sky is my new favorite ski location.

Other activities we did while there; Snow Coach tour of Yellowstone, and Lone Mountain Ranch Sleigh Ride Dinner. Both are worth the effort. The next time I go, I will try the dog sled tour.

I say try this place, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We knew we wanted a room with a kitchen for our stay in Big Sky and were debating between the more expensive 1BDR Shoshone and the cheaper Summit Studio and went with the cheaper option. I was a bit concerned that the Murphy bed would be uncomfortable but the bed was actually quite comfortable - comfy pillows, down comforter, normal mattress, etc. Overall we found our room (located in the "L" part of the hotel, so kind of a weird shape) perfectly sized for the 2 of us. The bathroom as some people have mentioned is quite large for the studio, with a huge bathtub, shower + dual sinks, and the kitchen is well sized too. The kitchen was well-stocked with cooking equipment, but there was no cooking oil or spices (besides salt & pepper), so you've got to bring all of that.

We followed the advice of others and picked up groceries by the airport since the "Mountain Village" (ski base area) of Big Sky isn't really a village, but more a cluster of 5-6 buildings that have some facilities (restaurants, shops) but is hardly a town. In fact I would recommend renting a room with a kitchen because there aren't many dining options. 15 mins away there's the "Meadow Village" with a few more restaurants but also not what you would call a town. We were too lazy to drive around - and again, there's not a whole lot of choice even if you do - and so did not need a car at all.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stanty
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed September 8, 2010

This was our fourth trip to this hotel - we go every August - and have always enjoyed it but this year the hotel outdid itself in terms of service so had to write about it. Upon arrival, the suite we always had booked was not ready and we were not happy to say the least because of the long trip getting here and we were 2 hours past check-in. Sarah, the desk manager, made it her responsibilty to take care of us and upgraded us to outstanding accomodations. While we were waiting for them to be ready, the concierge came over and invited us to sit outside and enjoy the sun setting over Lone Mt. with drinks - well, I have never had a concierge be so proactive in seeing to our comfort. At other hotels, I usually have to wait in line to get the concierge to help me and they rarely are a help. And this level of staff service continued throughout our 6 night stay. The housekeeping staff saw to every possible need with smiles and promptness. Once I called down because my kids wanted to swim at night and the jets in the pool had been turned off - so they said they would immediately send staff to turn them on. In addition to this hotel being an excellent base location for all the outdoor activities people come to Big Sky for, the staff make it a place you look forward to coming back to at the end of your day of hiking, trail riding, Yellowstone trip, etc. One hint - ask for a room facing Lone Mt. for the spectacular views. The rooms and bathrooms were kept spotlessly clean and there were flat sceen TVs and huge bathtubs in all the rooms. The beds were super comfortable with great linens and pillows. Huge closets and our room even had a washer/dryer in one closet - which would be great in ski season. Our room also had a kitchen which was well stocked so you could easily cook for a family, which we preferred to do as the suite was so lovely we didn't want to leave once we got back from our day's activities! If your going to Big Sky, you want to stay here!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jerzygirl43
Newton, MA
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We had a very nice stay at the Summit Hotel. In the area, we enjoyed whitewater rafting, horseback riding, zip lines and hiking. It's an hour from the West Yellowstone entrance to Yellowsotne Nat'l Park. Rooms were very well equipped (even had humidifiers which were much needed in the dry mountain air). Lots of storage space, comfortable beds, nice pillows, linens, etc. The resort had plenty of activities and restaurants for a summer visit and the views of Lone Peak were breathtaking! It surely must be amazing during ski season as well. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Fitness center and hot tub were great, but had to go to Huntley Lodge next door for a regular pool.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family