“Excellent Condo Style Hotel”

The Summit At Big Sky
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Big Sky
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I dont understand why there are so many blatantly false reviews on this site. The Summit is a world class condo style hotel built less than 9 years ago. There is no noise that comes from other rooms. The fitness room is nice, the condo kitchens come fully equipped, there are local grocery stores, bars, restaurants, and shops. The staff is VERY nice and accomodated all of our requests. The hotel restaurant and bar are a bit pricey and the food only average, but this is easily solved by walking around the village to other places. The skiing is WORLD CLASS with no lift lines and few people. The hot tub is great and the outdoor heated pool awesome.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank chris19421

Reviewed December 14, 2008

Last week we went to the Summit for a fine dining experience. I have had better tasting food at Sonny's Barbeque....I was so excited as we sat at the bar and heard of the chef from Rome, I ordered the peppercorn encrusted elk loin, first off it was not a loin, it was not pepper encrusted and it was terribly cooked, whatever it was. My wife and another friend had the buffalo, which was as tough as leather and rare, when they had ordered it medium, our other friend ordered pork with collards, the worst collards I ever tasted! My wife never wanted to try buffalo again. Luckily I knew better because I have had elk, buffalo, venison, prepared by great chefs. Get rid of your chef! He obviuosly does not inspect the food, or know what the heck he is doing. I expect when I go to a restaurant that has a school trained chef that the food be perfect. The chef is to inspect all food coming in, hand pick ingredients and oversee quality. I have had some of the finest foods in the world, this experience did not meet expectation. We ate at the 320 ranch, your chef needs to take lessons from the 320!

Bill,
Tallahassee, FL

Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank TallahasseeZoey
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We had amazing time in this gorgeous slope side hotel. The rooms are spacious and warm. The crib for our toddler was the nicest we've ever seen in a hotel. The nightly turn down service was a pleasant surprise. We had a full kitchen so we could cook for our toddler and keep milk in the fridge. We definitely saved on breakfast.

The hotel restaurants were ok- didn't care for the Italian restaurant. We did have pretty good room service one night. The outdoor hamburger shop was pretty yummy.

There were lots of activities- hiking, horseback riding, rafting, mountain biking, etc. Things aren't cheap but they are well done.

I loved the outdoor pools but they were too heated for the summer weather- perhaps they can tone the temp. down in the warm weather. I'm sure they are a hit in the cold snowy winters.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank smurfy202
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed at The Summit for four nights recently as part of a conference being held there. The facility is very nice and upscale but parking was very limited and many had to park along roads and in makeshift places when the parking lots overflowed.
A note, too, about the room configurations. The rooms do not have standard bath tubs. ( I think this applies to all their rooms). There is either a shower only OR a jetted hot tub in the main part of the the room in addition to a private shower.
The biggest complaint, however, was the attitude we encountered with the hotel's front desk. We we treated as irritants as much as guests because we had the temerity to ask that we be given the type of room we were confirmed for! Only after much eye rolling, sighing and two hours of cooling our heels in the lobby did they "find" a suitable room that only an hour ago was "impossible".
A further irritant that is far too common at these "resorts" is the "resort fee" of about $12 a night. We were told that this covers things like landscaping!! What it is is a price increase that is not reflected in any price comparison shopping and is, in my opinion, a shady business practice.
On the plus side, the bell staff at the hotel was very professional and quite helpful. The facility overall was very comfortable and had nice conference facilities.
If you're considering staying in Big Sky, ask about additional fees above the room itself and by all means keep the paperwork showing the type of room you reserved and be prepared to fight for it upon arrival.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank TahoeDon
Reviewed July 27, 2008

My family and I just returned from 6 days at the Summit at Big Sky, where I attended a conference and they played. We stayed in a 3 bedroom suite, room 923, which was huge and had breathtaking views. We had a fully equipped kitchen, 3 full baths, and tons of room. Staff was very friendly and attentive, rooms were clean and well serviced. Kids loved the place and so did we.

Great place for a family vacation--but it isn't really a good "base camp for Yellowstone" since it's a good hour to the West Entrance and much farther if you go in from the North entrance near Gardiner (which you need to do for best wildlife viewing). So, if Yellowstone is your sole focus I would stay much closer.

Kids loved whitewater rafting, fly fishing, and horseback riding. The lift up for pictures was fun; friends hiked up "Moose tracks" and said it was fun. We booked a safari via Yellowstone Safari Co which was WELL worth the expense, if all you have is one day. Our guide was a former park ranger and he tailored our stops perfectly.

We stopped and bought breakfast food, which was perfect since breakfast at the resort was expensive and not good, with long lines. Food in most of the restaurants was not good, The Cabin was the best we tried (we never got to the Italian place which looked good). Forget the Carabiner. Down the mountain there is a wonderful bakery and a wrap place, as well as chinese and tons of other options.

Really, really nice place to run--if you turn left out of the resort instead of right, there are beautiful views just a little ways up. Even in the thin air it is worth lacing up your running shoes and heading out.

The area is beautiful and perfect for a family vacation. I'd go back to ski if getting there were not such an ordeal from the east coast. Also, the descent into Bozeman was a little harrowing and my sense was that wasn't unusual.

Finally, the time to the Bozeman airport is in fact an hour and 15 minutes, not the 45 minutes the distance suggests. It's 15 minutes to get down the mountain from the resort.

Must be a perfect spot in the winter!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank tessmom
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Staying at Big Sky Resort? Summit Hotel is located at the lifts. Store skis complimentary at the lift if staying there. Great service and style. Food was good (not great) but a little pricey. Check out The Cabin or Bambu Bistro for dinner right next door. Breakfast buffet at the Peak restuarant in the hotel is worth it. Best floors and rooms= 6th or 7th floors (just renovated)--pick mountainside corner units (611 or 711) or if in studio or studio/1 bdrm then facing Spanish peaks (631 or 731).

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank bigsky3
Reviewed March 21, 2008

This was my family's first trip to BIg Sky and we stayed at the Summit on the advice of friends who knew the area. The location was great- right next to the ski school and several of the lifts. The ski school was great. My kids, ages 6 and 8 had a blast. The sking was top notch with long, uncrowded runs. Some greenhorns complained that there were too few truly easy runs.

The hotel itself had some hits and misses. Housekeeping was spotty. One day we had to call to get our room cleaned and another day our floor wasn't vacuumed. The service at the house restaurant was fair at best. It was understaffed IMHO. One day after waiting the quoted 20 minutes for a table, we were told that we couldn't be seated for another thirty and there were plenty of tables open-hence my hunch at being understaffed, during lunch hour at high season. Room sizes were adequate, beds were nice. I know this sounds like nitpicking, but the bathrooms need more light! I could hardly see to shave.

Fitness center was average, but clean. The indoor/outdoor hot tub was a huge hit for the kids.

Front desk staff and concierge were very helpful. Bell staff was very prompt and polite.

Our reservation package was a bit messed up on arrival-no lift tickets or breakfast vouchers- but this was quickly remedied.

Overall, we would stay at the Summit again, mostly for the Plum location.

Stayed: March 2008