“Not-so-nice place to stay.”

The Lodge at Big Sky
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Big Sky
Reviewed February 24, 2014

(+) Good price for the location, located very close to Big Sky Mountain. Staff was generally friendly and helpful. Parking is complimentary and on-sight. There is free breakfast, it is okay.

(-) Didn't feel like a Lodge, felt like a Motel. Hotel is in need of renovation, rooms are extremely outdated. Hotel advertises that it is ski in/ski out, it is not, however they offer a complimentary shuttle to the mountain or a five minute walk. Seems to be understaffed. Would not return.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Air S
Gr8place2stay, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

I am so sorry about your recent negative experience. Please know that we strive to make our accommodations to be as comfortable as possible for all our guests. I also apologize for the misinformation that you were given regarding the ski in/ski out features. I have double checked our website for any misguiding information. If you could please email me and let me know where or who gave you this information it would be greatly appreciated so that I may make the appropriate changes.
Also, please know that going forward in to Spring we will be starting our renovation.
Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve our property going forward.

There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Big Sky

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I gave this hotel a rave review last year....sadly, it has gone way downhill. The previous manager, Jeremy, and his wife Beata, created a true lodge atmosphere. It was cozy and intimate and they provided extras like trips to the slopes and restaurants....the bar was open nightly and packed, and there was always a fire in the fireplace in the lounge....Now the bar is only open weekends, and it has been empty and no one hangs around the lounge with the fireplace that is not lit. The breakfast is terrible, the bedding and towels 3rd rate, the toilet paper thin and scratchy...I looked this hotel up and it was apparently bought by the Krishni group in 2011...I don't know if this or the change in managers has made a difference. This group owns other hotels - Days Inns, Best Westerns, Hampton Inns, and sadly, this "Lodge" has become an overpriced replica of the lower end of these motels....I plan on coming back to Big Sky but not to the Lodge

Room Tip: the only good thing about this hotel was the maid service....go somewhere else in Big Sky. The high...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank Joyce M

I also am disappointed to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. Please know that we will be completing a renovation going into the spring which will include new T.V's, towels, linens and many other upgrades. Again, I am sorry for your disappointment.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Our ski club of 30 people stayed at this hotel for a ski week at the height of the season. The manager was very welcoming and helpful, especially with a full load of us showing up all at once. It was a walk to the ski lifts, but the shuttle van took us there each day. There was enough snow that we could ski back. The rooms are large, equipped with small refrigerator and microwave, bathrooms are large with a good shower. The outdoor hot tubs were excellent and there was also an indoor hot tub by the pool. A good buffet breakfast was furnished in the comfortable lobby. We will stay there next time we go!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your experience. It was fabulous to meet your group and I was delighted to meet all of you. I sincerely hope to serve your ski group in the future:) Thank you!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We decided on staying at the Lodge at Big Sky because of the value priced room. For the price the rooms were fair and the sheets could use replacements. The room however was very big and airy and had a great view of the mountains and perfect for us and our young son. I agree with some of the other comments that breakfast is OK but it filled me up every day and was fine.
Now the management was the FRIENDLIEST I have ever encountered and made our stay so pleasant.The manager recommended many restaurants and even offered and made reservations for us. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Gr8place2stay, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Helena,

Thank you so much for expressing your opinions here on TA. I am delighted to hear that overall your stay was more than satisfactory. Please know that we are in the process of a renovation that includes bedding updates and new towels, along with new televisions. We are also looking at adding some new hot items to our breakfast. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Tried different hotels in the area for skiing and this was the best location for the best price. The rooms are large and airy and the manager was a delight. We had a problem the first night with noisy neighbors and she made sure we had an immediate upgrade. the pol and hot tub were terrific.
The only problem was the linen- sheets and towels really need to be replaced. Breakfast was ok...the usual hotel choices..could have used more fresh fruit.

Room Tip: at first we stayed in the cheaper room downstairs but were upgraded to the higher floor with a view...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gr8place2stay, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you for the supportive review:)
I was discouraged to hear about your intial noise issue, but I was happy to upgrade you. It was a pleasure to meet both you and your husband. I look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

A friend and I stayed 4 nights at The Lodge while skiing Big Sky at the end of January. We're 60-something skiers who primarily stick to blue runs. This was the 4th time I've stayed here over the past 7 or 8 years. We keep coming back to Big Sky because of the great skiing and lack of lift lines, and we stay at The Lodge because it's a tremendous value. After skiing many Western resorts I can't think of another ski lodge that's as nice as The Lodge, in as convenient a location, at such a reasonable cost.

After not skiing Big Sky for two years I was a bit concerned to see some negative ratings of The Lodge here in Tripadvisor. However, I found The Lodge to be every bit as good as it always was. The rooms are large with high ceilings, and they're nicely appointed and clean. The great room/breakfast room/lobby is a great space with lots of comfortable chairs and sofas, a fireplace, a bar, and two-story-high windows with a great view of Lone Mountain. The other morning when the sun came up and shined on the top of Lone Mountain while we were eating breakfast, I and a lot of the other people there pulled out our cameras, phones, etc., and started snapping pictures of the stunning view. The managers and staff were friendly, and helpful. Jeff, who used to run the place, was an absolute gem, and he's certainly missed. But the new group is personable and enthusiastic, and they make the place feel like home.

The Lodge is about two blocks from the main base area. It's very walkable, although we generally carry our boots and stash our shoes in the locker room at the base area, or upstairs in the Mountain Mall. The Lodge runs a shuttle every half-hour if you'd prefer to get a ride. I was initially disappointed to hear that Big Sky purchased the Moonlight Ski Area. We used to love skiing Moonlight on $50 lift tickets. But the combination really works out well, since you can now cover the whole mountain, or however much of it you have energy to ski. And while the new $100 lift tickets are expensive, they're certainly a bargain compared to the $130+ you'll pay in Colorado. And with no lift lines you can certainly maximize your runs-per-dollar!

I saw a few minor maintenance issues, and some signs of wear and tear. They could use some new towels, and the eggs at breakfast need some improvement. The Lodge is not a luxury ski-in/out property. If that's what you're looking for try Shoshone, The Summit, or Huntley, and pay 2 or 3 times as much per night.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

I am delighted to hear that everything was satisfactory for your stay:) It was great having you and we look forward to serving you in the furure!

We appreciate your business and the time you took to share your experieinces here on TripAdvisor

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We at the day The Lodge for 3 nights on a skiing holiday while travelling in the US. The hotel is located within 2 mins walk of the mountain lifts and a shuttle is available if required. Breakfast is included and has a great selection of hot and cold items. Rooms are large and comfortable and have great views from most. The best bit by far about this hotel are the helpful, friendly staff. My husband and I felt like one of the family and would definitely stay again

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gr8place2stay, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. TripAdvisor is a wonderful resource for travelers... and I am pleased your stay motivated such a nice review:) We hope you and your husband enjoy the rest of your trip in the states. Thanks so much!!!
P.S. thanks for showing us how to chop kindling:) Come see us again!