“Recent stay and experience”

The Lodge at Big Sky
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Big Sky
Newport Beach, California
“Recent stay and experience”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We decided on staying at the Lodge at Big Sky because of the value priced room. For the price the rooms were fair and the sheets could use replacements. The room however was very big and airy and had a great view of the mountains and perfect for us and our young son. I agree with some of the other comments that breakfast is OK but it filled me up every day and was fine.
Now the management was the FRIENDLIEST I have ever encountered and made our stay so pleasant.The manager recommended many restaurants and even offered and made reservations for us. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Gr8place2stay, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Helena,

Thank you so much for expressing your opinions here on TA. I am delighted to hear that overall your stay was more than satisfactory. Please know that we are in the process of a renovation that includes bedding updates and new towels, along with new televisions. We are also looking at adding some new hot items to our breakfast. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Tried different hotels in the area for skiing and this was the best location for the best price. The rooms are large and airy and the manager was a delight. We had a problem the first night with noisy neighbors and she made sure we had an immediate upgrade. the pol and hot tub were terrific.
The only problem was the linen- sheets and towels really need to be replaced. Breakfast was ok...the usual hotel choices..could have used more fresh fruit.

Room Tip: at first we stayed in the cheaper room downstairs but were upgraded to the higher floor with a view...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gr8place2stay, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for the supportive review:)
I was discouraged to hear about your intial noise issue, but I was happy to upgrade you. It was a pleasure to meet both you and your husband. I look forward to seeing you soon!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 4, 2014

A friend and I stayed 4 nights at The Lodge while skiing Big Sky at the end of January. We're 60-something skiers who primarily stick to blue runs. This was the 4th time I've stayed here over the past 7 or 8 years. We keep coming back to Big Sky because of the great skiing and lack of lift lines, and we stay at The Lodge because it's a tremendous value. After skiing many Western resorts I can't think of another ski lodge that's as nice as The Lodge, in as convenient a location, at such a reasonable cost.

After not skiing Big Sky for two years I was a bit concerned to see some negative ratings of The Lodge here in Tripadvisor. However, I found The Lodge to be every bit as good as it always was. The rooms are large with high ceilings, and they're nicely appointed and clean. The great room/breakfast room/lobby is a great space with lots of comfortable chairs and sofas, a fireplace, a bar, and two-story-high windows with a great view of Lone Mountain. The other morning when the sun came up and shined on the top of Lone Mountain while we were eating breakfast, I and a lot of the other people there pulled out our cameras, phones, etc., and started snapping pictures of the stunning view. The managers and staff were friendly, and helpful. Jeff, who used to run the place, was an absolute gem, and he's certainly missed. But the new group is personable and enthusiastic, and they make the place feel like home.

The Lodge is about two blocks from the main base area. It's very walkable, although we generally carry our boots and stash our shoes in the locker room at the base area, or upstairs in the Mountain Mall. The Lodge runs a shuttle every half-hour if you'd prefer to get a ride. I was initially disappointed to hear that Big Sky purchased the Moonlight Ski Area. We used to love skiing Moonlight on $50 lift tickets. But the combination really works out well, since you can now cover the whole mountain, or however much of it you have energy to ski. And while the new $100 lift tickets are expensive, they're certainly a bargain compared to the $130+ you'll pay in Colorado. And with no lift lines you can certainly maximize your runs-per-dollar!

I saw a few minor maintenance issues, and some signs of wear and tear. They could use some new towels, and the eggs at breakfast need some improvement. The Lodge is not a luxury ski-in/out property. If that's what you're looking for try Shoshone, The Summit, or Huntley, and pay 2 or 3 times as much per night.

We'll be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
I am delighted to hear that everything was satisfactory for your stay:) It was great having you and we look forward to serving you in the furure!

We appreciate your business and the time you took to share your experieinces here on TripAdvisor
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We at the day The Lodge for 3 nights on a skiing holiday while travelling in the US. The hotel is located within 2 mins walk of the mountain lifts and a shuttle is available if required. Breakfast is included and has a great selection of hot and cold items. Rooms are large and comfortable and have great views from most. The best bit by far about this hotel are the helpful, friendly staff. My husband and I felt like one of the family and would definitely stay again

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gr8place2stay, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. TripAdvisor is a wonderful resource for travelers... and I am pleased your stay motivated such a nice review:) We hope you and your husband enjoy the rest of your trip in the states. Thanks so much!!!
P.S. thanks for showing us how to chop kindling:) Come see us again!
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Wonderful and reasonable mountainside lodging with a beautiful view of Lone Peak. An early check in helped our family with small children. The staff was very friendly and accommodating
allowing our family to lunch in the beautiful great room. The shuttle was handy but the walk to the lifts was easy. The grandchildren loved the pool and hot tubs and the adults enjoyed the comfortable seating in the lounge in front of the fireplace and bar. The management allowed a late check out at no additional charge. Overall a very positive experience and we would book with them again.

Room Tip: For a large family the 3 queens per room was spacious and had a fridge and microwave.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank p r
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience:) TripAdvisor is such a valuable resource for all travelers and again we thank yo for sharing your comments on it. Thank you for the outstanding review. We look forward to serving you again in the future:)
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This place was amazing. We called early and they were able to accommodate an early check in so we could get settled in our room, ski and then go back to the room to allow our youngest to nap. It was so close to the chairlifts we ate our packed lunch in their beautiful lobby. Shuttle perfect. Swimming and hot tubs great for kids. Rooms big and clean. Staff friendly and helpful. Definitely will be staying there again.

Room Tip: The three queen room worked great for us with grandparents, parents and kids. Plenty of room, and so...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
It was our pleasure to serve you:) Thank you so much for taking the time to write, and share your experience with others here on TA. It was a pleasure to meet you and I delighted that your family had such a great time:) We look forward to you visiting us again! Thank you so much.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 19, 2014

PROPERTY:
Great location. Has shuttle leaving every 30 minutes to skiing. Easily walkable to skiing as well, although the city of Big Sky doesn't seem to believe in sidewalks, so you'll walk on the side of the roads. Great spot off the mtn., compared to those which are on the mtn., and plenty more expensive. Property itself is wonderful. It's well decorated, has plenty of niceties, and has plenty of potential. I'd recommend this property if you're cost conscious and don't mind a short walk (2 blocks) to restaurants and skiing. If you want an on-mtn. and 4 star experience, I'd recommend an upgrade to one of the resort properties.

ROOM:
We stayed in a 'basement' (aka lower level) double queen room (101, 102, 103, 104, etc.). This room is the least expensive and is sold as the 'quiet area' as it's not technically on a main floor (you still have a fine view though). The room itself was nice. Spacious, has a fridge, separate sink, microwave, etc. Some of the rooms I noticed are in the usual 'avoid-me' type of locations (eg. there's a room on 2nd floor overlooking the lobby and could probably hear all lobby noise; there's rooms on 3 and 4 right across from the ice machines, and there are rooms in the lower level right across from conference rooms). The room we were in also had some small maintenance issues, that I wouldn't complain about - but I am curious how every single lampshade had water stains on it. The hairdryer broke while we were in the room, but the older gentlemen quickly replaced it. The coffee maker never worked (my fault for not reporting it).

STAFF/SVC.:
They live on-site. This is common in mtn. towns when travel in and out of the city is sketchy with snow closures. The entire staff appeared to live in the hotel, and were always seen around the property (which is fine), but no one wears a uniform, so you will never know who exactly is working that shift, and if you're staying for a short period, you'd probably never know the staff from the guests. And no - a plain white t-shirt with a tiny logo doesn't constitute a uniform. The staff all appeared to be new in some form or function. When checked-in I was charged for an extra day, and the keys weren't programmed. We requested an early check-in and it was accommodated (thank you), but was an hour late. On two separate occasions we were misinformed. (1) I had asked a young male staff member where to get ice, and he told me "in the bar" (as if I was supposed to go back behind the bar to get ice from the bartender's bin). I doubted his response, so asked another roaming staff member, and she told me that it was up one floor. (2) I had called down to the desk and ask about an early AM check-out and the older male gentlemen said to come down and settle the bill early so we didn't have to wait in the AM. I did so, and came down to find another woman at the desk who asked me to check-out in the AM as it would allow the system to post the charges overnight. She went ahead and settled us up anyway, but not without a couple extra charges, and reversals. On two of the evenings (early mornings), the staff staying in the room(s) down the hall from us were up and noisy - letting the door close against the swing lock bar (over and over (do they not realize that it echoes down all of the hallways), and chasing each other down the hallways for some reason, playing 'ding-dong-ditch.'

MISC.:
They do have ski and snowboard storage (in a foyer room), but it's not secured in any way. I'm the unlucky paranoid person who's had his snowboard stolen once and won't have that happen again, so we avoided the on-property storage.
Linens could all be replaced (esp. towels, washcloths, bathmats, pool towels, etc.). These are aged, thinning, frayed, and embarrassing.
Property cleanliness could be easily improved by management. We stayed for 4 days, and for ALL of those days, the men's room soaps were never filled (I even took one of the soap containers out of the closet and put it on the counter (all they did was put it back, and still not replace the soap)), the elevator walls were never wiped down, the lower level restrooms never cleaned, the hallway floors outside of the housekeeping rooms never vacuumed,
The keys to our room had to be reset twice (first time was staff error, second time was early expiration set on the keys). Note, the keys also don't/didn't work in the side doors.
One of the 4 hot tubs was out of service for the 4 days we were there (not an issue to us because the hotel was very quiet (early season)).
The AM breakfast is certainly a nice thing - it's out by 6:30am, and has the usual continental varieties; nothing extravagant.

OVERALL:
A great location, good property amenities (no restaurant however), and has pleasant enough staff and service (they really do try, and the couple older staffers are especially pleasant).
OWNERS and Management should really, really, really step-up here and start performing housekeeping checks, provide the desk staff with mandatory shift checklists (cleaning, etc.), do walk-throughs daily, get everyone a noticeable uniform (khakis, polo or something), escalate the purchasing of new towels, and let the staff who is staying on-site know that it is not a youth hostel. With some accountability and organization (this would probably have to come from the OWNERS, because I think some of the managers may also need some guidance/tutelage - this could REALLY be a great property. I'd recommend this hotel, and would likely stay here again on return (as the resort hotels really gouge you), HOPING that some basic improvements were made.

Room Tip: Lower level has fine rooms, quieter area. Not a great view, but who cares. Be cautious about locat...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MplsLakes
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response..I have noted the areas in which we need improvement and I appreciate you bringing them to our attention. Please know the Lodge is now under new management and I have addressed your concerns. We appreciate your business.. Thank You!