“No ski vibe, but close to the slopes”

The Lodge at Big Sky
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Big Sky
Columbia, Missouri
“No ski vibe, but close to the slopes”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This could be a great hotel -- but despite the fact that it is within walking distance of the slopes, it has no "ski vibe." When you approach the desk and ask about the weather or conditions, there is a weather report but the people there don't seem to know or care much about skiing. So there's no enthusiasm, which makes this ski resort hotel feel a lot less fun.No one offered us information about local things to do in the evening or such. So it is a really nice hotel, with no thrill of the slope feeling. I feel like it could have been in Indianapolis for all the ski feel it had.
Breakfast was very poor, with poor quality food. Even the yogurt offerings were limited to low-fat with additives kind of yogurt. The fruit equaled oranges and old apples. We finally went to the grocery and bought our own breakfast food.
However, the rest of the hotel was great, nice room, great hot tub, fabulous location. But I really missed the feel of a ski area here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BigSkyJ, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your feed back. Could you please email us your suggestions at reservations@lodgeatbigsky.com so we can make your next trip in Big Sky more enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Arcola
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here just before Christmas and they had a special on. It was a great price and the rooms were very nice. I will definitely be coming back and the breakfast was good in the morning as well. We stayed in a basement room it was huge and you couldn't even tell you were in a basement. Its a great place for families to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your great feed back. We hope to see you in the near future.
Dickinson, North Dakota
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with a great location at Big Sky. The front desk was very accomodating. We arrived in the morning and were allowed early check-in when we stopped in for permission to park for the day. The continental breakfast was nothing exceptional but had a beautiful view of Lone Peak and very lovely decor.

Room Tip: We visit Big Sky alot so did not pay extra for a mountain view room. However if this is a first vis...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy F, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for you great feed back. Please communication any recommendations on the breakfast to our reservations@lodgeatbigsky.com email. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I booked this place for the first time because where I usually stayed at, The Huntley was sold out for the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived being that the room was half the price of what I usually pay but on top of it far more pleasing. The Lobby is very comfortable and inviting, there is an evening bar where you can sip a toddy and relax along with a beautiful fireplace. Three outdoor hot tubs bubbling away at your pleasure, and the staff, shall I say so amazing. Willing to go above and beyond. The shuttle ride, not even necessarily needed given how close the lodge is to the base of the mountain but what a nice touch. The complimentary breakfast gives you so many choices. When I was there they had home made banana bread and it was the best banana bread I ever had. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms with a mountain view are amazing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cosmo V
BigSkyJ, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for your great feed back. We hope to see you in the near future.
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel was cute and clean and just a short walk from the mountain. The view of the mountain from the lobby is breathtaking. The lobby was very comfortable and had a fireplace and a bar. The location was perfect because it was so close to the mountain. The hotel offers a shuttle to and from the base of the mountain but we never took it and just walked to the mountain to start our day of snowboarding since the walk was short. The staff was friendly. The hotel always had ice cold water with fruit in it in the lobby, which was very refreshing. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. My only complaint of the hotel was the maid service. We were at the hotel for four nights, and not one day were there fresh towels in the room. One day they removed the wet towel from the floor but never replaced the towel. Nor did they ever replace the shampoo or conditioner bottles. Not once, for four days. Every day I had to make sure I requested for more towels and hair products before taking my shower. I expect better maid service when I stay at a hotel and was very disappointed about this. Other than that, the hotel was great and everyone at the hotel was very friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lenore R
Jeremy F, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you very much for letting us know about your recent stay up here in Big Sky. We adopted a new "save our planet" program and sounds like we were off to a rough start with your room by not replacing your towels or shampoo every day. We will be fine tuning this program to make sure this situation doesn't happen. We do appreciate your honest feed back and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We used this hotel as a base to visit Yellowstone as everywhere within the National Park and towns closer to it were fully booked. Staff were very friendly and rooms were huge, clean and overall it was great value. I can imagine it would be a fantastic place to stay come ski season.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BigSkyJ, General Manager at The Lodge at Big Sky, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and givings us a great review!
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was with a foreign tourist group to stay in this hotel this summer. I have to admit that the hotel front desk guy was friendly and humorous with me, and my hotel room was clean and spacious. A group member later told me that she was turned down by the front desk for help with camera data transfer to her USB drive. I guess the hotel as a popular conference site could have provided computers for its traveling customers. I went to visit my sister's room and was suprised that she and several tour group members were assigned to basement rooms where the laundry facility was located. Her room was large, but not as new or fresh-smelling as my room on the 4th floor. But what was bothering her was the big dirty stain on her comforter. It was late and I was so tired, and I persuaded her to accept the fact that the sheets should be clean. Up to this day, I regret it tremendously that I did not help her talk to the hotel to change the comforter. This was the first time she traveled to the U.S. and she probably would have had a nice stay if the comforter was clean. I want to ask the hotel here, how can anybody be so blind and not see the huge stain on the comforter? Did you just run out the comforters? Do you think the foreingers are easier to fool around? It is hard to build a good reputation, but it is much easier to ruin it. This is inexcusable, in any hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure to have a GPS with you. It is not easy to find the place.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family