“Pricey But Fresh”

Arata
Ranked #46 of 71 Restaurants in Big Sky
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
“Pricey But Fresh”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

When we walked into the restaurant we were the only ones there on a Saturday night, which didn't give us too confident of a feeling despite the good reviews. When we looked at the menu the prices seemed higher than what we were used to on the east coast. So we had a couple of salads (poke and seaweed) for appetizers and found another place to go for our main course. I can report that the salads were fresh and flavorful. Maybe we'll give it another chance when our travels bring us back to Big Sky.

• Visited August 2013

Big Sky, Montana
“Best Sushi!!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Live in Big Sky and is def one of my favorite Restaurants. Cash Only. Right down in the meadow and is way better than Bucks. If you are planning on going to Bucks i say to change and go Arata

Visited February 2013
7 Thank TuckerV_13
Houston, TX
“Best Sushi in MT!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

When I think of Montana, sushi isn't the first cuisine that comes to mind but I was pleasantly surprised by the freshness of the food at Arata. I love sushi and while I no longer live in MT, I can honestly say that Arata has the best sushi I've ever had in MT and is competitive with sushi I've eaten in big coastal cities where you'd expect to have easy and ready access to really fresh fish. The portions were large relative to my historic MT sushi size expectations (for that matter, even when compared to my broader geographic sushi eating experience). Price wise,I thought that their prices were reasonable given the food quality and quantity. My family of three ate for about ~$100 including drinks. The only negative is that they don't take credit cards. Apparently this is a recent development---the sign on the door said effective mid-January). Fortunately, their are two ATM machines within very short walking distance (I was directed to a machine two or three doors down from Arata). The sushi is Hawaiian themed which made ordering a little more challenging than normal (I couldn't order familiar rolls) but again, the food was great.

5 Thank richfink66
Pasadena, California
“Yummy Hawaiian Sushi”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My daughter had a hankering for sushi, so we gave Arata a try and really enjoyed our food and the service. The sushi was fresh, the choices varied and there were so many truly novel selections. Although we didn't try the sushi with Spam, next time we'll give it a whirl.

Visited December 2012
6 Thank Valhallapix
Big Sky, Montana
“Great sushi in the mountains”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We go to Arata whenever we are in the mood for a nice dinner. The sushi rolls crafted with fish flown in daily from Hawaii -- which results in higher prices -- but if you're having sushi, you want it to be fresh. The owner/chef creates some great sushi rolls using creative, Hawaiian inspired ingredients like pineapple. There is a great "adult beverages" list with tropical drinks that nicely highlight the sushi rolls. If you go with an appetite, you won't get out of there without spending $30-$50 per person, but the great sushi is worth it. Service is prompt but unenthusiastic. They accept reservations, which are necessary on busy nights in town.

Visited March 2012