Lone Mountain Ranch
Huntley Lodge(Big Sky)
$195
$181
Big Sky Resort Village Center(Big Sky)(Great Value!)
$231
$224
The Summit At Big Sky(Big Sky)(Great Value!)
$239
$232
The Lodge at Big Sky(Big Sky)(Great Value!)
$189
$156
$146
Buck's T-4 Lodge(Big Sky)(Great Value!)
$229
River Rock Lodge(Big Sky)(Great Value!)
$225
Travelocity
$272
$246
All reviewscross country skiingthe sleigh ride dinnerfly fishinghorseback ridingnordic skiingfamily vacationrecord playerdiscovery packagedownhill skiingspecial dietary needsbisonwood stovewhite water raftingblue sprucenorth forkcoyote cabinamazing week
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family of four, two girls 12 and 8, stayed at Lone Mountain for a week in August. It was excellent! From day one to day seven our experience was superb. The people who work there stand out the most. From Tiny to Meaghen, Lisa Marie to Andrea, all were friendly, helpful and a pleasure to be with. Our girls enjoyed the kids OYA activities, surprising even themselves. We rode almost every day, fished, ziplined, canoed, hiked, floated the Madison River, and even had time to relax. Don't get me wrong, there were a few minor glitches (dinner one night was late and unusually average, sometimes the "extra" costs are surprising), but nothing that Bob and Karen won't have worked out soon. Please go and enjoy and forget the cost -- it is worth it. The best measure I can give you is how hard our girls cried when we had to leave.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Coyote Cabin. It was wonderful. However, All of the cabins looked similarly nice and all were accessable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We spent 4 days, 3 nights at Lone Mountain Ranch in August of 2012. We were there to fish and to fish only.

The fishing manager set us up with the perfect guide: Rick Reed. If you're fishing through LMR you want Rick as your guide. Not only is he an excellent fisherman and full of insightful tips he also respects the art of fly-fishing and the need of his clients. Being dawn to dusk fisherman Rick had us on the water at a minimum of 8 hours a day. This does not include the 6 hour round trip commute. He gave us 14 hours of his day - good luck finding that anywhere else... This is no easy feat! We never felt rushed nor did Rick ever give the sense his job was simply punching the clock. He hooked us into large browns, rainbows and cutthroats. Again... if you're going to LMR, fish with Rick!

As for the lodge... they quickly accomodated me with a mountain bike on our off day, fed us well, and were extremely friendly. The cabins were rustic and normal per lodges in the area. The waitstaff was friendly and knowledgeable. Food was excellent. Bar was stocked.

Note that Yellowstone proper is quite a drive from the lodge. However the property and surrounding National Forests can do the trick for the hiker as well.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I spent a week at Lone Mountain Ranch for the second time. As a 20 year old architecture student and overall city lover coming to LMR with my family seemed a little scary. I am not exactly the most adventurous outdoorsy person and had gone 4 years prior as an angsty teenager (I actually did enjoy myself too on that vacation even though I opted out of the youth program and only participated in horseback riding). This time I embraced LMR fulling. I went mountain biking, tons of horseback riding, zip-lining, high ropes course, hiking, yoga, yellowstone day trip, and fly-fishing. I had an absolute blast. The staff at LMR caters to your every need and will make new activities to fit with your schedule if you request! The ranch had recently changed managers and the new couple who was managing the resort are absolutely delightful. The wife, Karen, walked around breakfast, lunch, and dinner pouring water and talking about what we were doing that day. She was so hospitable and sweet. The food is phenomenal. They have a basic menu for the week with a few specials each day. The chefs will cook food specially for you if you have a request! They will make things specially to your dietary needs. The horseback riding was wonderful. They try and keep you with one horse for the whole week so you "bond". If you are comfortable and can handle 6 hours on a horse do a lunch ride! They take you to the most amazing places. All the staff is amazing and will help you in any way. Our group was particularly taken by the naturalist Andrea who knew so many things and was so friendly we even invited her to dinner one night at LMR. If you happen to go there, ask her about her dog Darwin! She might let you meet him! I fully recommend going to Lone Mountain Ranch. They will make anything happen if you ask. They are all incredibly friendly and the Lodges are beautiful and rustic. My family will definitely be coming back in future years. Everything is A+!

Room Tip: I have stayed in the smaller cabins near the dining room as well as the large ridgetop lodge. The smaller cabins are great and provide a nice seclusion. The Ridgetop Lodge is up the hill and is a bit of a hike but features a lot of things the personal cabins don't. Wifi, mingling with other inhabitants, hot tub. Don't stay there if you don't want to ruff and puff every time you want to get to your room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SLT1804
Reviewed August 10, 2012

There were 5 adults and 3 childrren---my husband flyfished all week with a wonderful guide. The grandchildren could not believe the OYA (youth activities) available, from the ropes course, archery, and lots of riding. The highpoint of the week was the kids' rodeo on Sat. What the wranglers managed to put together with the kids was truly amazing! The 5 year old could participate and did not seem to mind that her horse was being led. The 13 year old did a back-packing overnight! The trip to Yellowstone Park was wonderful...lots of bison, some elk and a bear!! The adults loved the riding, hiking and canoeing. Nikki's massages were very popular with all of us. It was our third trip, but first one with the whole family. Before, we went for the fishing. Food was great, and I continue to love the cabins. The staff went out of their way for everyone...especially the dining staff, for our four vegetarians.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I spent a week at the ranch snowshoeing in late February 2012; it was incredible! I had mailed my equipment to the ranch prior to my arrival; it was waiting for me in my cabin. On my departure, I left it in my cabin and they mailed it back to my home. My cabin (Bald Eagle) was rustic, very comfortable and very welcoming. I arrived at the ranch late and was escorted to my cabin where the fireplace had been prepped for me with firewood and fire starter. The dining room and bar were equally rustic, comfortable and well-appointed. Meals were incredible...trout, bison, elk, local beef, etc...! If I was going to be out all day, I was able to pack a lunch at breakfast. The staff was very accommodating and genuine. I cannot imagine it getting any better than this.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo