“Big Skiing in Big Sky”

Big Sky Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Fun & Games in Big Sky
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are currently closed for the off-season but will reopen Thanksgiving Day, 11/23/17! Think snow! Welcome to Big Sky Resort: home of the biggest skiing in America. Now, with the addition of the Moonlight Basin and Spanish Peaks terrain, Big Sky is even bigger! Towering at 11,166 feet and expanding over 5,750 skiable acres, Big Sky stands as a luxurious outpost on the edge Yellowstone's most wild country. Only 45 minutes from Yellowstone National Park and with over 400"of annual snowfall Big Sky offers down hill skiing, snowboarding, spa getaways, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, snowmobiling and more. In summer the adventure continues with wildlife viewing, zipline tours, whitewater rafting, biking, hiking, horseback riding, climbing or experience our mountain safari and tram ride to the top with the legendary Lone Peak Expedition. In short, Big Sky is where the few come to roam, live big, and experience an adventure all their own.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Travelled from N.E. to Big Sky, Montana Ski resort the beginning of March for 6 days. Went with my Husband's Brother and Family. Nine of us 4 adults and 5 college age kids.
What a beautiful place! 4,000 skiable acres. Mountains all around. Resort 45 min. drive from Bozeman airport (a very cute western small airport)
No crowds! Went during public school and college vacation week. Never waited in a lift line and so many trails all to ourselves. SOmething fror everyone from green to double black diamonds.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Each year my husband and I try to find a place to enjoy a week of skiing. This year we chose Big Sky. We couldn't have been more pleased. We've skied in Utah, California and Colorado, and there is a reason they call Big Sky the Biggest Skiing in America. This place is huge - so many runs of all levels of difficulty.

I am not the strongest skier, so I found the blues a bit more difficult than in other areas (Park City, Tahoe). Fortunately, there were so many areas and options that I was able to find several runs that were perfect for me. There was so much snow that my husband was able to enjoy powder skiing and I was able to enjoy wide groomed runs. They told us that they were busy this last week. BUSY???? We never waited more than a minute in any lift line. We had whole beautiful stretches of runs to ourselves without another soul in sight! Each year that we ski in other places, we usually ski 3, maybe 4 days of the week. Our room came with a package that included 5 days of lift tickets. I told the booking agent that 5 days was just too much for us. But, based on the pricing of the total package it made sense to just take the days and not use them. Not only did we use all 5 days, we bought a 6th single day lift ticket for our last day. It was that beautiful! The staff on the mountain is amazing. They will stop and chat, take your picture, answer your questions, whatever you need.

We didn't do any ski school, but we saw all ages and abilities enjoying ski school. Big Sky's team of instructors appeared to be patient and fun. Even expert level skiers were taking "mountain tours" with instructors. We watched them hike up a wooded area to ski "The Bone Crusher." There is truly something for everyone.

No place is perfect, so here come the negatives. The Loan Peak Tram was broken most of the week that we were there. It was finally fixed on Saturday which resulted in a line more than an hour long. My husband missed the opportunity to ski the black diamonds off the peak and I missed the opportunity to see the view from such beautiful spot in the world. Oh well, if that is worst thing that happens to me on any vacation, then I am a lucky girl! Also, it is COLD! I mean cold. I mean negative numbers before even factoring wind chill. When the wind and snow came it was colder than I've ever been. Bring lots of layers and wear them!

Finally, there is little to no night life. Don't expect to walk around a little cute town like Breckenridge or Park City. The Mountain Village is cute and there are about 10 places to eat. For anything else, you have to go down the mountain. We found we didn't need to. We happily ate at the Resort.

1  Thank HLJKDJ
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I skied all day at Big Sky on Saturday, March 22, 2013 with my two daughters. When I arrived and saw the parking lot full I immediately expected annoying lift lines. Not so. This ski resort is so enormous that the mountain can absorb huge crowds. Also, there is a handy shuttle service to get you promptly from the parking lot to the ticket office.

A big plus to Big Sky is just about all of the lifts are high speed, so you spend much more time skiing than you do on the lift. Therefore, you can relax and enjoy an excellent lunch at Whiskey Jack's as we did.

This area typically receives much snow so you will almost always have good conditions throughout the winter months all the way to closing in April.

While here, take a day off skiing and drive down to West Yellowstone, and take a snowcoach ride into Old Faithful for the day. My favorite snowcoach is operated by Alpenguides.

The only negative to Big Sky is they are a bit pricey. A lift ticket for all day was $89.00. You get a much better value in my opinion just up the road at Moonlight Basin, but I guess you get what you pay for. Big Sky is much larger than Moonlight and has more lifts

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This year we decided to travel farther north and check out Montana. Friends of ours have skied several years at Big Sky and assured us we would not be disappointed. They were right! This was by far the best ski trip we have had. We are a family of 6. Ages ranging 2-38. We stayed at a ski in/out at one of the Saddle Ridge Vacation Rentals and nothing was disappointing. Residents of Montana were as friendly and welcoming as Texans. The scenery was breathtaking and the March snow was wonderful and abundant. We usually enjoy taking the free shuttles around instead of driving (given that Texans shouldn't drive in snow/ice), but we were very happy to have a vehicle on this trip. From the airport, Big Sky is just a short less than 90 minute drive. Even though we traveled over spring break, there were no crowds. We stayed and only skied Moonlight Basin and never had to wait in line for any lift. The kids are only beginner skiers and so the numerous greens were plenty challenging for them (and us). Looking at the map, if you are a more advanced skier, Big Sky would probably be more interesting. There is a shuttle to take you from Moonlight Basin to Big Sky if that is of interest. For families, we enjoyed the skiing, tubing/sledding on the tubing hill, the frozen playgrounds, and the outdoor hot tub overlooking the mountain at our vacation rental. The only downside to this trip was the flight to get to Montana. The day of our departure, Denver cancelled all flights. We then had to fly to Seattle and then connect to Bozeman. We stayed at the local LaQuinta near the airport and were pleasantly surprised. We would definitely stay here again if we needed somewhere last minute/close. It was very clean, quiet and comfortable. The Bozeman LaQuinta is NOTHING like the Texas LaQuintas (which we do not even consider as options in our travels). If you are looking for a wonderful ski/snow vacation with a laid back welcoming feel then Montana should certainly be at the top of your list!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I came to ski Big Sky because I wanted to ski Lone Peak. However the tram was down all week long and all the new snow on the peak just had to sit there. I paid the same amount for my lift ticket but the terrain was severely limited.