“Big Sky Tram down all week”
Review of Big Sky Resort

Big Sky Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Fun & Games in Big Sky
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Big Sky Resort is currently closed. For the safety of you and our staff, all recreational activities on Big Sky Resort's property are prohibited, including skiing, snowboarding, sledding, hiking, mountain biking, and snowmobiling. Big Sky Resort reopens for summer activities on May 29, 2017, and remains open through September 27, 2017. The Big Sky Resort golf course will reopen May 19, 2017. Welcome to Big Sky Resort: home of the biggest skiing in America. Now, with the addition of the Moonlight Basin and Spanish Peaks terrain, Big Sky is even bigger! Towering at 11,166 feet and expanding over 5,750 skiable acres, Big Sky stands as a luxurious outpost on the edge Yellowstone's most wild country. Only 45 minutes from Yellowstone National Park and with over 400"of annual snowfall Big Sky offers down hill skiing, snowboarding, spa getaways, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, snowmobiling and more. In summer the adventure continues with wildlife viewing, zipline tours, whitewater rafting, biking, hiking, horseback riding, climbing or experience our mountain safari and tram ride to the top with the legendary Lone Peak Expedition. In short, Big Sky is where the few come to roam, live big, and experience an adventure all their own.
Bozeman, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Big Sky Tram down all week”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I came to ski Big Sky because I wanted to ski Lone Peak. However the tram was down all week long and all the new snow on the peak just had to sit there. I paid the same amount for my lift ticket but the terrain was severely limited.

Mississauga, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Excellent skiing and don't forget to visit Old Faithful!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just spent five days skiing the Big Sky are (3 at Big Sky and 2 and Moonlight Basin -- the adjacent resort).

Have skiied Park City, Vail, Aspen, Tahoe and Jackson Hole over the past few years, I wanted to try a new spot. The skiing definitely didn't disappoint. Not as much development and restaurants in the Big Sky area, but certainly the quality of the mountain made up for it.

Took a one day trip into Yellowstone ($109 per person for an eight hour trip on a Snow Yacht -- a bus with snowmobile/tank style treds instead of wheels) which was a real highlight of our trip. Was a great way to break up a ski week and Yellowstone Park is truly spectacular (Old Faithful is just one part of some fascinating scenery and wildlife sightings).

Big Sky is an hour's car ride from Bozeman (which has direct flights from Minneapolis). Rent a 4 wheel drive car; it will be worth the extra cost because the mountain roads can be tricky.

Lots of variety of runs and some serious steeps for big time skiers. Add this one to your list of "must do" places to ski.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Biggest Skiing in 3 Days and Some Skier’s advice”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I spent 3 days in Big Sky in mid-March. Snow conditions were not ideal as it had not snowed in several days and temperatures were very high. The partly sunny days made up for this almost completely as we were gifted with great views of the Lone Peak and the surrounding mountains and the soft snow in the after-noon made it easier to navigate some challenging runs. In reviewing this mountain I would like to offer some advice for skiers who like me are not quite advanced and can only manage black slopes with caution and soft snow. The mountain has endless terrain for all expertise levels. Although I skied almost 60 miles in 3 days with more than 50,000 feet of vertical, I did not have enough time to explore the whole mountain. I skied blues and black glades and bowls, with the glades being beautiful moguled runs with sweeping views all around. I strongly encourage you to book a ski lesson for 2 hours to fully enjoy this mountain. I was there with 2 friends and we pain $45/hour each for a private lesson for 3, which is reasonable. We got great advice on the terrain, the best spots given the weather conditions and tips on how to handle the runs. Our teacher was Tom Marshalls, whom I recommend. I was interested in skiing the Liberty Bowl although I had apprehension given my skill set. I had read in blogs that if you are able to ski the smaller bowl off the Lone Peak Triple chair you would probably be able to handle the Liberty Bowl as they have a similar pitch. Our teacher and other skiers actually told us this is not the case as Liberty Bowl is not only longer but steeper than other black diamond bowls in the resort, so beware! I still think that with ideal conditions and lots of powdery snow or slow snow you could try it but it would be a bit of a gamble if you are not really advanced. Besides the “smaller” bowl there are a few other slopes where you can practice moguls in steep terrain. One is the extremely long Mad Wolf run. If you want to get proficient at moguls this is an awesome run that starts very steep on the top and smoothes out below. It is a wide, endless sea of moguls that will exhaust your legs but will make you a better skier. Another tough slope to practice on is Screaming Left. I’d say that if you can ski both comfortably and with some rhythm you can tackle Liberty Bowl, but this is only a guess as I was not brave enough to actually test this hypothesis in this trip. I guess I have a great reason to return. On another note, the Lone Peak tram offers you the choice of travelling to the top on a round trip if you get to the summit and feel the slopes are too tough for you. We however did not feel comfortable riding the tram as there was a long wait time (which is common with 45 min to longer than an hour average wait time) and we were told that if you go to the top simply for the views you will likely get booed by the people waiting in line to ski or snowboard down when you come back. Not that we are that sensitive, but I think those people have a point. On the third day we explored the Moonlight Basin which I think it is worth the more expensive ticket (at least for a day), not because you need the extra terrain (you have plenty in Big Sky), but because the landscape and terrain is a bit different. Whereas Big Sky has a lot of rocky outcrops and several bowls, Moonlight basin has more glades and woods. There is also a lot of beginner terrain and long blue cruisers. I saw more families and small children there and the overall feel was that of a family-oriented resort.
One of the great advantages of Big Sky is the almost absence of crowds and there is very little waiting in line at the lifts. We were often alone skiing some of the slopes which was an incredible feeling. Skiing a glade alone is a rare pleasure. A note on the vertical: I found that 2200 feet is more or less the max you will ski in a single run if you don’t start from the summit where the expert terrain is.

Finally a few words on the Village: nothing to speak of. A few nondescript buildings without a proper mountain village atmosphere, few restaurants and shops, no night life and very little après ski. If that is what you are after, look elsewhere.

3 Thank EnricoNovelli
Michigan
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Better than Colorado”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Big Sky skiing is more enjoyable than Colorado. I down-hill skied for 3 of 5 days. Since the temperatures are cooler than Colorado, the snow was powder and essentially no ice spots.

The Big Ski staff were more friendly and helpful than typical. At 10:45 and 1:00, you can meet up with a "Host" and they will give you a ski tour of the mountain. It is a useful way to learn the fastest way around the mountain, and local tips/hints.

For all but the tram, there were no lift lines that lasted more than 1 (yes one) minute (except for the tram). The tram goes to the summit of Lone Mountain. I took the tram to the top on a sunny day and had to wait 20 minutes. The views from the top are panoramic and impressive. If the black diamond runs are too much, you can take the tram down too.

Phoenix
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great Skiing”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Liked the variety of the slopes didn't like the young punks that hang around the restaurants and carry on outside by that burger place.