TripAdvisor
Carbonesca
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews lasagna paul and isabel family holiday on site restaurant thought of everything play area pian di young family beautiful location fantastic family just returned from a week places to visit hire car fresh bread umbrian hills self catering real highlight
Selected filters
Reviewed July 17, 2019

My wife and I have just returned from a very memorable family holiday at Pian di Cascina with our 7 year old daughter and 3 year old son.

In brief:
- the location is fantastic, right in the heart of the beautiful Umbrian countryside. We stayed in the Montefiore apt and the views from our terrace were absolutely stunning. It is also well situated for more days out that you could squeeze into a 1 or even 2 week holiday. Would recommend the caves at Frassasi, Assisi (to see the Cathedral and the Castle) and also dining at the restaurant at the top of Monte Cucco - which provided more unbelievable views, great food and was ridiculously cheap given the location. If you like running, there are some challenging runs in the vicinity, which also make lovely walks if you're feeling slightly less energetic.
- The kids loved the two playgrounds and the pool
- The food at PdC was excellent. I would highly recommend that you make the most of the restaurant nights. My wife and I opted to have our meals on our terrace rather than in the restaurant, which was no problem for the team
- The option to have simple dishes (e.g. meat or veggie lasagne) delivered to your room any night of the week if you don't want to go out or BBQ is a nice touch, as is the raft of other delicious goodies you can order for your arrival (wine, organic veggie box, breads, etc)
- We felt well looked after during our stay - Paul checked in on us daily to see if we needed anything and was always contactable via WhatsApp at other times. There is a comprehensive visitor guide in the accommodation, but Paul was also on had to offer helpful advice. One one occasion, I casually mentioned to him that I was frustrated with my hire car - we had been allocated a biogas model (thanks Holiday Autos!) which had a very short effective range, and there appeared to be few filling stations selling 'Methano'. He immediately helped me download an app on my phone 'Prezzi Benzina' which enabled me to locate filling stations on or near our routes. This proved to be a life saver!

We have returned with some very special memories from our time at Pian di Cascina and would recommend it for any young families

Date of stay: July 2019
2  Thank jasonlK4714TQ
Reviewed July 16, 2019

Overall Pian Di Cascina was not for us. Pros and cons are as follows:

Pros
• Children’s toys: There were a variety of toys in each villa and outdoor toys and a play area which the children enjoyed.
• Toddler friendly: In addition to the toys, the villas are very toddler friendly and you can request any number of toddler amenities to make your stay easier.
• La Tavernetta: this was the most enjoyable part of our stay. The food was amazing and the atmosphere cozy. There were toys in a corner and the children could play while we ate. A really lovely dinner both times.
• Separate units: We were a big group, so it was nice to have separate units for privacy but still be at the same location.

Cons
• Laundry cost/service: The website states: “Yes we provide a washing service – for a small fee your washing will be washed for you and returned the same day.” This “small fee” is 15 euros per load to wash, and 15 euros per load to dry. Based on the website, we budgeted our clothing so that when we arrived here for our second week of travel we would do laundry. So two loads of laundry to wash and dry cost me 6o euros (CAD$87). There is a drying rack, but it was rainy, and when I asked Paul if it was efficient he said “I don’t know why don’t you try it” (sarcasm is not appreciated). In addition, when I returned back to the villas my 60 euro laundry was spread out on the couch and not folded (see attached photo). For 60 euros I expect folded laundry.
• Wifi: Yes, they have wifi. The website states “We have wifi – in each villa and on many of the terraces. There is no need to worry – you can stay connected.” However, the connection was terrible and we couldn’t do much with it. One member of our party needed to work during our stay and ended up switching to a hotel for a few days (and paid for 2 rooms/night as a result) so that he could have adequate wifi to complete his work. When we were checking out Paul mentioned that we should have told him someone needed to work as he could have adjusted the wifi. What? We paid CAD$460/night. I would expect that the wifi would be at full capacity (or whatever the technical term is for it) so that paying guests would be able to use it as required. Why would it be limited?
• Staff/service: I use the word “staff” here lightly as this is a small business run by a family. I hate to complain in this context (as it’s not some faceless hotel) but Paul’s “humor” (read: sarcasm) was frustrating. For example, one member of our group asked how the babysitters had been vetted and he made a joke about them having criminal records. It was a serious question and the response was inappropriate. This is one example of many, and as result Paul did not feel approachable or helpful. Isobel was friendly (I think she should be the “face” of the villa) and email correspondence was always prompt and polite.
• Villas: Other members in our group had a lot of problems with ants. We did not, just a number of large centipedes. I get it, this is a rustic villa. But be aware of this before you book. The units were also a little too rustic for our taste.

Overall this was very child-friendly (which we were looking for) but lacked some of the polish we like when travelling. If we had paid half the price it would have been acceptable.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Tinkerbellina, Owner at Pian Di Cascina, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2019

Candace, we are very sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay here. We completely understand that our beautiful, organic, rural family retreat was just not a good fit for you.

We offer individuality and charm and a place for families to enjoy spending time together.

We feel good about what we do - we put every effort possible into making our home comfortable and welcoming to families. 99% of the time families love staying here. We love what we do and it shows.
We are constantly told by our guests that a family holiday at Pian Di Cascina brings a lot of joy to many.

It was very unfortunate that Candace and her group didn’t make us aware of any of their issues while they were staying here.

They did, however enjoy plenty of extra services that we organised for them and that were not mentioned in the review.

1. A taxi, mini bus service was organised
2. Restaurant recommendations were provided on several occasions
3. The many questions they had while they were here and pre-arrival were all were answered thoughtfully and in detail.
4. We provided a comprehensive guest guide packed with local knowledge and the group enjoyed many of the days out we suggested
5. We arranged professional bike hire with delivery to the villa
6. We provided a babysitting service
7. We provided a huge amount of child and baby equipment free of charge.
8. A vast supply of grocery items were provided on arrival.
9. An arrival meal was provided.
10. Daily bread and croissant delivery was provided.
11. A member of staff checked in with them at least once a day, to make sure everything was going well and to answer questions etc. (This would have been the perfect time to mention any legitimate complaints)

We offer the kind of services above to all of our guests. This shows that we care and do our very best to make sure families enjoy their time here.

Had Candace and her group mentioned any of their issues at the time, we would have done our very best to resolve them all at the time.

Reviewed June 20, 2019

This was one of our most memorable stays. Located in a charming and untouched part of Umbria, near a quaint and quintessentially Italian village we had a wonderful stay. Gorgeous location, beautiful views, amazing pool, like minded families. The dinners prepared by Isobel and Paul were perhaps the best meals of our life- and we’ve had our fair share of fine dining. Great recommendations and local knowledge provided by the hosts also helped make for some amazing adventures!

Date of stay: June 2019
Reviewed June 19, 2019

What a fabulous place to stay, especially for anyone with a young family. Having searched for hours online looking for myself, husband and 2 year old, I couldn't quite find anywhere else that ticked so many boxes for one holiday. Pian di Cascina have thought of everything to make a family stay comfortable and have so many added extra touches such as books, puzzles and games to keep the little ones occupied. They have an expansive lawned play park area and great toddler splash pool which is shaded. It was a great combination of being catered for with handy home cooked meals on request and two restaurant nights, with the ability to BBQ ourselves, get take away pizza and cook too. The restaurant nights were such a treat. The food was incredible and it was so good to enjoy such a great dinner whilst our toddler played happily with some of the other guest's little ones. Many of the ingredients were fresh from their farm and it was impressive to have a view of the cows who provided the ricotta we were enjoying! It is well positioned for more days out than you could possibly manage in one holiday, so we were spoilt for choice in that respect as well. Great service and advice on hand. I think this place is very unique and we would highly recommend it. Their website is great and if you like the look of it then you won't be disappointed!

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

We had a relaxing family holiday with 3 children of 5 and under. A beautiful setting, comfortable and spotlessly clean accommodation and a huge amount of thought given to making things easy for families. The restaurant nights were a real highlight. A great place, we would return. There is still a lot we didn’t do in the area as we spent so much time by the pool and in the play area.

Date of stay: July 2018