“Wonderful Dinner”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Kodak, Tennessee
“Wonderful Dinner”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We were in town visiting family for Thankingsgiving and took everyone here for dinner our last night. We had such a good time. I had the Salmon which I would recommend. The rest of the Family had nightly specials and cleaned their plates. If you're visiting Weston you need to put this on your list of places to eat.

• Visited November 2013

Norfolk
“Good Food, and nice atmosphere”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Went here last year when I was visiting my cousin. Nice restaurant and staff very helpful. Food was excellent especially the creamed brie soup and the blue cheese burger..Well worth a visit.

• Visited November 2012
Kansas City, Kansas
“Service from the chef was outstanding”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have many food allergies and was getting to the point of giving up on restaurants. For five months I had tried different places only to find out I was relegated to salads or fruit plates. Not exactly what you want when you are hungry. The chef at the Avalon gave me a pork chop with a different sauce that I could eat, he gave me four small portions of different vegetables instead of one. For the first time in months I felt like I was having a wonderful meal. It is rare to find this kind of service at a restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
“Quaint and charming with superb dinner; white table cloths, but jeans welcome :o)”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We happened to go to Weston on their "Second Saturday" event that they have when the stores stay open an hour or two later and a few of the stores offer appetizers (no wine :o( ) catered by the Avalon Cafe restaurant. While shopping, one of the plates was delivered and we tasted chicken canapes and some portobello and cheese on crunchy bread tha was out of this world delicious. We did notice that some of the store owners quickly rushed these freely given trays of yummies by the Avalon Cafe into their "backrooms" or offices and did not pass them out to their customers (shame on them), but thankfully we asked for the tray that was taken away to sample as we had purchased two items from the clothing store we were shopping in and they did bring them back out. Also at the Chamber of Commerce, we were graciously given a dessert (chocolate ganache cupcake-type) that was also scrumptious which helped us make up our minds to eat at the Avalon Cafe for dinner that night. We were dressed in jeans but were fondly greeted and told that we could have a four topper table (there was just the two of us) by the front window. It was a hot day and we were quickly served water, ordered from the wine menu (after a quick sample) and took great delight in reading the menu. I ordered the Fresh Seafood Linguini which was rife with shrimp, scallops, two mussels on the half-shell, fish and a light white cream sauce. Also served with red pepper and green peppers lightly, which I don't eat and genty pushed aside. The serving size was more than ample and cost only $20. It was one of the best seafood dinners I have had in the Midwest in twenty years. My husband ordered the Fettucine and smoked pork served with a red marinara (homemade) sauce which he found to be "very delicious". He pushed aside the sprinkling of vegetables, but ate every bite of the Fettucine and pork. Also on their menu is duckling and quail, which oddly, are hard to find in many restaurants in the Midwest unless you are in a large city (Weston, Mo has a population of about 1650), and the service was top notch. Although are braided blonde server seemed to be be in training, she did a great job on checking on us, refiling our water glasses and asking if we wanted more wine (only one glass each, had to drive home about three hours after dinner). Weston is a small touristy town with a winery, distillery, many small shops with unique items and a calendar of events including an applefest in October (5 and 6) when vendors come in and display and make their wares on Main Street. The tavern they have goes three stories DOWN and they do have a band, but that was not the kind of food we were in the mood for. Avalon Cafe is fine dining without the snobbery or having to be dressed up. You can eat in one of three rooms inside or on their patio. It was an excellent, wonderful experience in that old refurbished Victorian home turned restaurant (in 1994, I believe) and I can't think of a negative thing to say about it. Our total bill for dinner and two wines was a mere $53! We will definitely be going back during the Applefest--it was superb. I highly recommend it! (They also cater weddings and special events as one of their primary business services).

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank 1bluebutterfly
Memphis, Tennessee
“Adequate”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've wavered on whether to give 2 stars or 3, but I have to mark it down because I can't think of any reason to mark it up.

We've just moved to this area from the Deep South, and what I can't figure out is if the cuisine is really so different here in the Midwest that I need to adjust my expectations, or if the three restaurants we've eaten at in the area are just exceptionally bad at seasoning.

I ordered the Cajun chicken pizza, which, given my familiarity with the Cajun and Creole genres, was probably unfair to the kitchen. This pizza had no flavor, just whatever flavor plain bread and basic pizza sauce impart. It was so lackluster, I pushed it away after 3 bites, deeming it not worth the calories. I traded my husband for his pork tenderloin with mustard sauce, which was marginally better. How do you make a bland mustard sauce? Both of us doused our meals in salt and pepper and finished them with the remark, "Well, at least it was cheap." ($11 pp)

Please understand that I'm not judging the pizza on a Cajun scale - that wouldn't be fair this far north. I mean this food had all the personality of a hospital or airline meal on a regular American restaurant scale.

Service was adequate as well. Our waitress seemed sleepy and bored and would not speak up above a mumble. (I have incredible hearing my friends jokingly call "bat ears" - if I can't hear you, there's no way anyone else can.) She filled up our water glasses practically every time we took a sip, which is almost as annoying as never getting a refill. She didn't greet us when we walked in, just asked "How many?", and never introduced herself. But service was prompt, so there's that.

I don't understand the positive reviews for this restaurant, unless my palate is just that different as a southerner.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Anonymous980

Been to Avalon Cafe? Share your experiences!